IAT very high on cobra jet Setup?

Jvibe92

Established Member
So today I noticed something different. Before, my IAT would be almost exactly ambient temp as soon as I would hit 20mph. After the cobra jet setup, while stopped it sits around 120 degrees on a 85degree day but it doesn't drop to the 80s until I run over 60mph for more than 5 mins or so. Anyone else notice high IATs? Just cruising at 30-40 keeps my IATs around 15-20degree higher than ambient. Just strange to me. I know in my camaro, timing starts pulling when IATs reach certain temps. Any inputs? Runnin FRPPs intake and still using the stock air tunnel feed.

imeyers302

Established Member
So today I noticed something different. Before, my IAT would be almost exactly ambient temp as soon as I would hit 20mph. After the cobra jet setup, while stopped it sits around 120 degrees on a 85degree day but it doesn't drop to the 80s until I run over 60mph for more than 5 mins or so. Anyone else notice high IATs? Just cruising at 30-40 keeps my IATs around 15-20degree higher than ambient. Just strange to me. I know in my camaro, timing starts pulling when IATs reach certain temps. Any inputs? Runnin FRPPs intake and still using the stock air tunnel feed.

I don't have a CJ setup up but had the Boss Mani and Steeda CAI and experienced the same thing although the temp did drop real quick once I started moving. Running a procharger now with the boss mani and my IAT'S are only 1 or 2 degrees above ambient, even when stopped.

Randy Mcclaren

Established Member
I have the same set up but I have the smaller dual gt500 tbody not the mono blade. I haven't paid attention. But I will start watching it and reply back

GBCoyote

Established Member
No that's not normal, it should be around ambient when cruising. I would make sure your MAF is tightened down, and all your clamps on your intake tube are tight. It has nothing to do with the manifold.

Jvibe92

Established Member
The frpp shield is completely closed on the bottom and only open on top. I'll recheck everything. Very strange to me as well

Sizeth3

Established Member
I don't have a CJ setup up but had the Boss Mani and Steeda CAI and experienced the same thing although the temp did drop real quick once I started moving. Running a procharger now with the boss mani and my IAT'S are only 1 or 2 degrees above ambient, even when stopped.

You mean your Procharger IATs aren't 200* at idle like everyone says lol :).

KushBandit

Established Member
Those IATs aren't normal. I monitored mine on my drive to lunch and I was getting 1°-5°F over ambient temp. It's 76°F where I am today, and I had a consistent 77°-82°F IAT when cruising with light to moderate traffic.

When I am stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic however, I will see upwards of 120°F IAT on a relatively warm day.

imeyers302

Established Member
Those IATs aren't normal. I monitored mine on my drive to lunch and I was getting 1°-5°F over ambient temp. It's 76°F where I am today, and I had a consistent 77°-82°F IAT when cruising with light to moderate traffic.

When I am stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic however, I will see upwards of 120°F IAT on a relatively warm day.

That's exactly how mine was when I had the Boss Mani and Steeda CAI setup. If those Temps don't drop as soon as you start moving something is wrong somewhere.

jn2

Established Member
While driving around temps are always a few degrees within ambient. While sitting still your temps will rocket, while the airbox is sealed it also acts like an oven once you no longer have air flow going in. The heat from the engine bay rises, which cooks the box and turns the inside into an oven.

This is just how things go with open box intakes. The stock one is completely sealed and only draws from the front by the grille so it takes longer to heat soak. The open intakes, when sitting, will heat soak the tube and idle airflow is low so it will start to increase. Try letting the car sit for 10 mins after parking, open the hood and put your hand on the bottom of the heat shield and you will notice it's going to be too hot to touch, same for the intake tube where MAF is, you won't be able to hold your hand on it for long.

Jvibe92

Established Member
I understand but when traveling at 40plus I would assume, like pre SCJ, for the temps to drop to near ambient. I rechecked everything and retightened the MAF just because and today while traveling 40mph for a min, my IAT was 118 at 89F ambient. What another possibility? I'm
Sure I installed the manifold right haha or else fuel would be spewing everywhere

debit_free_2010

Established Member
I understand but when traveling at 40plus I would assume, like pre SCJ, for the temps to drop to near ambient. I rechecked everything and retightened the MAF just because and today while traveling 40mph for a min, my IAT was 118 at 89F ambient. What another possibility? I'm
Sure I installed the manifold right haha or else fuel would be spewing everywhere

What intake are you using?

The IAT's are coming from the MAF sensor so whatever the issue is it's on the front end of the intake.

jn2

Established Member
Remember the tube also heat soaks, so even with moving air the heat soaked tube is still transferring it's heat to the seniors which is directly connected to it. It will take the flowing air a bit before it can bring those temps down.

Jvibe92

Established Member
I guess the tube heat soaks more now since the intake manifold has all that open space where the heads are and it's just really taking forever to cool down. Don't people with boss manifolds have something that places on the block the blocks that huge opening?

Jvibe92

Established Member
If you look on AM install guide. They have these "what looks like insulators" that block off the area from the heads to the radiator front area. Maybe he heat from the heads here are cookingmy MAF

GBCoyote

Established Member
Again, this is not normal. If you are driving the car for say, 5 minutes without stopping and your temps are that high above ambient, something is up. If the car is idle and absorbing heat for a period of time, it's going to read hotter than ambient. But if the car is in motion for several minutes and it doesn't come down near ambient there is an issue.

Now that we cleared that up, need to find the problem. As said before, the MAF is what reads temperature. The MAF may not have a tight seal on the intake tube. It'd be worth it to yank it out and check and make sure there are not bad surface to surface issues. Your problem is not at the manifold portion, it's on the intake side.

Jvibe92

Established Member
The surface of the MAF on the frpp intake is smooth and flat and I tightened it much more this time around. The seal looks fine. IT takes traveling at 70 for maybe 2-3 min at most to cool it within 5 F

Jvibe92

Established Member
Whats a good way of testing if the seal is the issue? If it was letting air in, wouldn't the MAF reading be off?

debit_free_2010

Established Member
Whats a good way of testing if the seal is the issue? If it was letting air in, wouldn't the MAF reading be off?

I doubt you have leak, Looking at the pic's of the FRPP CAI the MAF is on the engine side of the tube, so I think you're right about the MAF placement letting the sensor get heat soaked.

The couple CJ setups I've seen had the CAI's with MAF on the front of the tube away from the engine like the stock air box.

GBCoyote

Established Member
If its cooling to near ambient after a few minutes of driving, that's normal then. I don't think you're having issues at all. If you want it to cool any faster get a different front grill and let some air in.

Users who are viewing this thread