I wonder what import brands pay auto mags to write good reviews...

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
I was farting around on Edmunds and came across this article on the Camry Solara Convertable and could not believe how many EXCUSES they come up with for the 'reviews'. Just about every import article I read has elements of this. What gives? You would think that Toyota or Honda gives every auto writer a rimjob and a new car every year. Of course they pick a writer that owns a 12 year old $300 camry to write this(sounds like an authoratative 'enthusiast' to me). :shrug:

Basically none of the editors liked the car, the way it drives or handles, the trasmission or tires or road noise, yet its at the 'top of the list'. Go figure. When have you ever seen a line like this in an Amercian write up:

"The shared opinion doesn't mean that the car is bad in any way; it's just not the right car for them."

If they don't like the placement of a hazard light switch on a domestic, the car is toast in the review, and any kudos always has a little stab on the end. This car they hated the transmission so much they left in in 3 all day long just to be tollerable. I just don't get it, does anyone ever look at how these cars are actually built or how they look after 5 good years of use? After seeing thousands of used cars over the years in detail, and their shop bills to get them ready for resale, I can tell you there is nothing special about them-yet people just rave rave rave... what gives?

I park every day next to my neighbor who has a Civic Si he bought at the same time I bought my SVTF. My car looks perfect, yet his interior is fading, plastic parts have broken off, the car is all dented because the metal bends if you touch it, the headlights are yellowed, and the paint is coming off the bumpers all by itself, and I know his stereo and door locks are broken(this is an adult not a kid) Not to mention how tiny all the doors frames are and the smallest brakes I have ever seen not on a mountain bike. Yet look in consumer reports and my car looks to be the piece of shit. :shrug:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/LongTerm/articleId=103784

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread