I want to start a Towing business

Moparkidd

can i get a check 1,2 uhh
Established Member
Alright guys, I know some of you on here are very wise and have been around awhile and have your own businesses and everything, with that being said..

I recently moved to Memphis, TN and i want to start my own Towing business, i see alot of need and alot of area to grow, considering the size of this city. I am a mechanic at the time being, have been a truck driver, i know i can do everything, except maybe the part where i run the business. I dont have any business experience.

I plan on waiting a few years before trying anything, as im saving up money to pay cash for my first truck.

Does anyone have any input, helpful hints or tips? Can i make this happen? I'm 23 years old right now so i have some time.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Try to get on with one of the tow companys in the area. Will give you a good idea regarding demand,profit, and allow you to start making business contacts. Not to mention will allow you to see if you actually will enjoy it before sinking your own cash into a business.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Not much help, but my pops contemplated it a few years back. He decided the hours weren't for him. Just too crazy.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Moparkidd

Established Member
Try to get on with one of the tow companys in the area. Will give you a good idea regarding demand,profit, and allow you to start making business contacts. Not to mention will allow you to see if you actually will enjoy it before sinking your own cash into a business.

I have a friend who is helping me in this, He has his own towing business on the other side of memphis, and is trying to talk me into working for him and then maybe being partners with him in his business. I know the hours wont bother me, i used to work 7 days a week and on call 24/7 and the waking up at 3am and driving into work was always kinda cool for me.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
As a college student from a big university in a big "college town," I would like to say one thing: **** you.

I understand you're just trying to start a business, grow your dollar, etc...but I despise tow companies and anyone that works for them.

I call it legal car theft.

*disclaimer* I have nothing against you, or your aspirations... :beer:

Moparkidd

Established Member
As a college student from a big university in a big "college town," I would like to say one thing: **** you.

I understand you're just trying to start a business, grow your dollar, etc...but I despise tow companies and anyone that works for them.

Haha. Well, if you break the rules, laws, park illegally, your car will be towed!

xtremeskime21

Established Member

Sounds like you've taken it in the ass by illegally parking?

jrd699

All men not created equal
Established Member
Do you have a truck? They are mucho deniro! You can establish your self by undercutting everyone else's prices at first, till you get established. Then raise slowly, as you get established. Best money I spend in running my own business, is advertising.. Spend the 3 grand on a good tv commercial that runs on cable,radio, ect. Go to local dealerships with your business card, and tell them to give you a shot. Tow for like 35 bucks in town at first, then adjust prices as you get better reputation. Doing repos is tough work.. Good luck, I'm confident I could be successful doing anything, key is work hard, be honest...

Moparkidd

Established Member
Do you have a truck? They are mucho deniro! You can establish your self by undercutting everyone else's prices at first, till you get established. Then raise slowly, as you get established. Best money I spend in running my own business, is advertising.. Spend the 3 grand on a good tv commercial that runs on cable,radio, ect. Go to local dealerships with your business card, and tell them to give you a shot. Tow for like 35 bucks in town at first, then adjust prices as you get better reputation. Doing repos is tough work.. Good luck, I'm confident I could be successful doing anything, key is work hard, be honest...

Right now i have a chevy silverado half ton, i am outfitting it to be my service truck, i dont have a tow truck yet but im saving to buy a used rollback with cash.

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

jrd699

All men not created equal
Established Member
Right now i have a chevy silverado half ton, i am outfitting it to be my service truck, i dont have a tow truck yet but im saving to buy a used rollback with cash.

Thanks for the advice!

Pm any questions you may have, I am a career "car guy" so I tell you this because I have seen and done most of this stuff myself!

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Sounds like you've taken it in the ass by illegally parking?

Yes I have, multiple times from the same complex. Hear me out though. There are obviously a VERY limited amount of visitor spots and right next to the last one in one corner was a dumpster. I watched a tow truck driver MOVE THE DUMPSTER to block the last remaining visitor spot. I witnessed it once, but didn't have anything to document it with on me at the time.

Every time I've ever had my car towed, I've had to make a stop at my bank to change $81 (but recently it was raised to $102, God knows why) of bills in to 8,100 pennies....unrolled preferably.

Moparkidd

Established Member
Yes I have, multiple times from the same complex. Hear me out though. There are obviously a VERY limited amount of visitor spots and right next to the last one in one corner was a dumpster. I watched a tow truck driver MOVE THE DUMPSTER to block the last remaining visitor spot. I witnessed it once, but didn't have anything to document it with on me at the time.

Every time I've ever had my car towed, I've had to make a stop at my bank to change $81 (but recently it was raised to $102, God knows why) of bills in to 8,100 pennies....unrolled preferably.

so they most likely target you for that reason alone.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
I have a friend who is helping me in this, He has his own towing business on the other side of memphis, and is trying to talk me into working for him and then maybe being partners with him in his business. I know the hours wont bother me, i used to work 7 days a week and on call 24/7 and the waking up at 3am and driving into work was always kinda cool for me.

Stop right there. Never go into a business with a friend. It usually ends bad.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Are you crooked as hell?? I've traveled the whole us, and known several tow operators, and worked for a couple part time at home and yet to meet and honest one, not sure if they were that way to start or if the business drove them that way. If you wanted to do anything being in Memphis / w. Memphis stock alternators/ starters and batteries and fuel filters and get to be familiar with reefer units and get yourself up on ntts breakdown and work the Truckstops and roadside repair... Lots of opportunities on I 40. IMHO

Moparkidd

Established Member
Stop right there. Never go into a business with a friend. It usually ends bad.

Well its not really a friend, its a friend of a friend, i just met the guy.

Are you crooked as hell?? I've traveled the whole us, and known several tow operators, and worked for a couple part time at home and yet to meet and honest one, not sure if they were that way to start or if the business drove them that way. If you wanted to do anything being in Memphis / w. Memphis stock alternators/ starters and batteries and fuel filters and get to be familiar with reefer units and get yourself up on ntts breakdown and work the Truckstops and roadside repair... Lots of opportunities on I 40. IMHO

Yeah thats why im setting up my service truck right now, its crazy how many people just run out of gas, plus the flat tires and all. Pretty good opportunities i thought.

Trying to get on with like AAA roadside assistance, if i can get a contract with them i'll be good.

prostkr

Established Member
The first place to start, truck or not is insurance. I'm willing to bet you will need at least 2 years accident free towing for someone else before you can even pull a policy of your own.

cobra_matt

Established Member
It's $230 around here to get a vehicle out of the tow company's yard. I'm sure apartment complexes are getting kick backs from this legal theft.
The last apartment I was at had open parking. If it was a parking space, it was fair game. No problems at all. Then they changed it to where you had to pay for an assigned parking space and made all the rest visitor spots. There weren't enough assigned parking spaces for the amount of apartments so people were forced to park in visitor spots. That tow truck company raked it in the first month. People were forced to park pretty far away from the complex and walk right past open parking spaces in their own place of residence.
I understand the "well you broke the rules blah blah blah." Parking illegally in the city gets you a $40 ticket. Park illegally in an apartment complex; get your car towed and pay $230. Legalized robbery is all it is. God I despise tow truck ****.

Edit: this only applies to the ones in business solely to tow cars out of apartment complexes and the like. Thumbs up to the ones that are honest and in business to help people with their car troubles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread