I want to see this : 07 GT500 vs 02-04 Z06 stock for stock.

djpheer

Established Member
Who has the cash or rich friends to line this one up? Go from a 20 mph roll, 40 roll, dead stop, whatever. I dont care who the better driver is, i want to see what has more muscle. :pop:

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
djpheer said:
Who has the cash or rich friends to line this one up? Go from a 20 mph roll, 40 roll, dead stop, whatever. I dont care who the better driver is, i want to see what has more muscle. :pop:

As much as I like the GT500, stock for stock with equal drivers, I dont think it would be all that close.:shrug:

djpheer

Established Member
Purvis said:
As much as I like the GT500, stock for stock with equal drivers, I dont think it would be all that close.:shrug:

I dunno, i think it would be rather close. If we cant get this, then the gt500 vs a c6 vette stock for stock will suffice too. :D

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Well, as much as I hate to admit this, ;-) I'm going to have to agree with Purvis on this one! :poke:

Stock for stock, equal drivers, (that equal drivers crap is what I hate the most because there is No Doubt, that's the best damn mod out there!) it's going to be tough for the GT500 to prevail!:(

BUT, on a road course, real world conditions (if I can keep that huffer cool enough and the front tires from melting off?) I think that I'm going to have an advantage at the Midwest F-Body event that I'm hoping to make next month at Road America!? Of course I don't plan on any of this equal driver's nonsense.:nono: Screw that crap. :lol: :p This will be real world car enthusiasts, driving their own cars, just for fun on a race track! :pepper:

I hope that harness bar/camera mount is going to fit! :rockon:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

bluestreak89

Established Member
Well from what I have seen the C5 Z is slightly faster than the C6. The C5 Z has some long and powerful gears, I dont know much about the shelby gearing but It actually may help the shelby that its already moving because getting that big butt moving cant be an easy task.

1 vote for the Z

2-slow

Say what?
Established Member
ac427cobra said:

I hope it does too!:rockon: :beer: We HAVE to have video of you tearing it up on the track! Then we can have 10 pages bitching about it!:lol1: :lol1:

Formula51

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Well, as much as I hate to admit this, ;-) I'm going to have to agree with Purvis on this one! :poke:

Stock for stock, equal drivers, (that equal drivers crap is what I hate the most because there is No Doubt, that's the best damn mod out there!) it's going to be tough for the GT500 to prevail!:(

BUT, on a road course, real world conditions (if I can keep that huffer cool enough and the front tires from melting off?) I think that I'm going to have an advantage at the Midwest F-Body event that I'm hoping to make next month at Road America!? Of course I don't plan on any of this equal driver's nonsense.:nono: Screw that crap. :lol: :p This will be real world car enthusiasts, driving their own cars, just for fun on a race track! :pepper:

I know you have a lot of experience on a race track, so I understand where you are going with the equal drivers comment. That said, do you believe that a GT500 is faster around a race track than a C5 Z06 IF (big IF) the drivers are equal? I just don't see that being the case. The weight difference and supercharger alone make me think otherwise.

If the drivers are equal I would say the Cobra R and C5 Z06 are a good competition with the edge going to the Z. Has that been your experience? There is no way you expect the GT500 to be better around the track than those two, do you?

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
bone stock C5 Z06 is rated to run 12.4 @ 116 mph. i think that faster than the shelby. even though they typically only dyno 340 rwhp they only weigh 3,100 lbs and have 3.42 rear gears and more aggressive trans gearing than regular t-56 trannies. its a very deceptively quick car. on a road course it would absolutely blow a shelby away in the corners

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Formula51 said:
I know you have a lot of experience on a race track, so I understand where you are going with the equal drivers comment. That said, do you believe that a GT500 is faster around a race track than a C5 Z06 IF (big IF) the drivers are equal? I just don't see that being the case. The weight difference and supercharger alone make me think otherwise.

If the drivers are equal I would say the Cobra R and C5 Z06 are a good competition with the edge going to the Z. Has that been your experience? There is no way you expect the GT500 to be better around the track than those two, do you?

My modded R passes 99 out of 100 C5-Z06's (modded or not) we encounter. The GT500 will NOT be able to do that! Period! My modded R kills my GT500, No Doubt!

But, stock for stock, I think the GT500 owns the R until the huffer overheats or the front tires melt off? One of the two.

C5 Z06 equal drivers with a GT500, I think the GT500 overheats it's motor and front tires trying to run a session. One or two laps may be a different story? It might be a closer contest with a short race?

This is the main reason I have had so much fun being a car guy for almost 40 years. Many of my friends took the easy route. Chevy. Cheap parts, readily available, everybody and their brother seemed to know how to make stuff go fast! Me and my Ford buddies ALWAYS had to do everything the hard way and that's what made it that much more fun! Buck the system. We used to have a saying: "Anybody can make a Chevy go fast; you have to know what the hell you're doing to make a Ford go fast".

In the last five years I have had to make up the difference in driver performance to make sure I pass all the Z06's on the track. Drive the car harder, push it closer to the edge, make sure the maintenance and set-up is perfect and knowing when and where you can take chances on the track and when you can't.

The guys over in the Cobra R section tease me and tell me to get a Z06 and then I won't have to worry about anyone passing me! :rollseyes That equals boring in my book! :bored: I truly enjoy Z06 driver's arms out the window pointing me by. My favorite part of the event! :pepper:

I am really excited to get this car on the track and stretch her legs out. This car HATES to be driven on the street! And I hate the fact that I can't drive it like it should be driven on the street. But it's my favorite car to drive on the street that I have. BTW, my "R" is still street legal and I DO drive it on the street occasionally. Have the ticket for 69 in a 55 to prove it too! :fm:

We'll see if my predictions hold water or not? :read:

Formula51

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
My modded R passes 99 out of 100 C5-Z06's (modded or not) we encounter. The GT500 will NOT be able to do that! Period! My modded R kills my GT500, No Doubt!

But, stock for stock, I think the GT500 owns the R until the huffer overheats or the front tires melt off? One of the two.

C5 Z06 equal drivers with a GT500, I think the GT500 overheats it's motor and front tires trying to run a session. One or two laps may be a different story? It might be a closer contest with a short race?

I just don't see the GT500 running with the Z, even for a short race. The car is so much heavier, the tires are narrower, the weight distribution is much worse, the center of gravity is higher, etc.

See if you can find a decent Z driver to talk with and run with (long and short runs) and let us know your opinion.:beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Formula51 said:
I just don't see the GT500 running with the Z, even for a short race. The car is so much heavier, the tires are narrower, the weight distribution is much worse, the center of gravity is higher, etc.

See if you can find a decent Z driver to talk with and run with (long and short runs) and let us know your opinion.:beer:

There will No Doubt be numerous Z's in the run group. There always are. Maybe a Viper or two also? It should be fun finding out how the car does on the track and how long I car run before it gets hot!

I'm starting to order the things I need for the track event already! Stay tuned!

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Dave:

You have to stop with the mod links! I want everything! I'm trying to resist mods, remember! ;-)

:-D :coolman: :beer:
I am here to encourage your addiction because I too am addicted...to seek support for anti mods seek modaholics anonymous in the bar. "Hi, my name is Bruce and I have a problem". :coolman:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
dgussin1 said:
I am here to encourage your addiction because I too am addicted...to seek support for anti mods seek modaholics anonymous in the bar. "Hi, my name is Bruce and I have a problem". :coolman:

Well if admission is the first step to recovery, then screw that?!?! :lol:

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Well if admission is the first step to recovery, then screw that?!?! :lol:
haha...I can admit it, but I am proud of my addiction. It keeps me happy and I would rather be happy and addicted than unhappy and stock. :D

snakecharmer

Established Member
Stock for stock and drivers equal, it won't be a contest. The LS6 is under-rated by 15-20HP and we've already seen dyno numbers from a number of Shelbys that have trouble hitting the stock rating. The Z has better gearing than the Shelby as well. Couple that with a whopping EIGHT HUNDRED AND TWO pound difference in curb weight between them as quoted by GM and Ford, and the Shelby is going to be staring a Corvette taillights everytime IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread