I want both - Track pack and Technology package in GT350

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That looks like 7 to 1 to me. Hmm most want it as a GT vehicle than a track toy.
That's just what is in stock...I don't have sales numbers.

I imagine it's not that big of a difference.

jtn83

Established Member
It's silly to think that a car marketed as the "most track capable mustang ever" can't be one the track for longer than 10 minutes or driven hard on the street if it's hot outside.

Tech pack owners weren't expecting to track the car on a weekly basis or to have it be as capable as the Track pack. Obviously a car with coolers will run faster around a track. Tech pack owners were expecting to have a daily driver that could be occasionally tracked without going into limp mode. No where did Ford market it as you had to chose between daily driving and track use. It was implied that the track cars were set up to perform better on the track, but not that they would be the only ones that could be tracked.

I think it's reasonable that MOST tech pack owners expected they COULD track their cars if they chose--granted most will probably choose not to. They didn't expect it to run circles around or keep up with the track pack cars, who would? But, they damn sure didn't expect them to be slower than a GT around the track after 10 minutes.

It's not unreasonable in this day in age and in this market segment to expect people to use these as daily drivers and occasional weekend toys.

It's also not unreasonable to expect a $60,000 car to come with navigation, heated seats, and a decent radio (and calling the Tech Pack radio decent is a stretch).

As 13cobra pointed out, there were plenty of options for 2016.

Base GT350

Tech GT350

Track GT350

R GT350

The first two were for cruising at a lower price point, the second two for track days and more hard core driving.

This was very clear in the press material from Ford, on the Ford web site, and in the brochures at the dealership.

The base wasn't offered for anything other than marketing and making magazine headlines. The base model and "starting at... MSRP" was no different then when dealerships run adds of "starting at..." to get you in the door.

Like I said, I probably won't track mine, but it's garbage to say that it won't fair any better on the track than a GT. That was definitely not how this car was marketed. If so, many others would be driving something else.

As to why so many tech packs are on the lot still--that's likely because of two things:

One, most dealers that ordered a car before they had a buyer for their allocation gambled and chose to order a tech pack, along with the fact that most owners wanted the extra features (nav, heated seats, ect) that the tech packs off and didn't know that the lack of coolers would mean the car was untrackable. So, Ford simply produced more tech packs (maybe even more profitable to them, who knows).

Two, now that word is out on how bad the tech packs fair on the track, people aren't buying them as fast, so there are more left on the lots.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
It's silly to think that a car marketed as the "most track capable mustang ever" can't be one the track for longer than 10 minutes or driven hard on the street if it's hot outside.

Tech pack owners weren't expecting to track the car on a weekly basis or to have it be as capable as the Track pack. Obviously a car with coolers will run faster around a track. Tech pack owners were expecting to have a daily driver that could be occasionally tracked without going into limp mode. No where did Ford market it as you had to chose between daily driving and track use. It was implied that the track cars were set up to perform better on the track, but not that they would be the only ones that could be tracked.

I think it's reasonable that MOST tech pack owners expected they COULD track their cars if they chose--granted most will probably choose not to. They didn't expect it to run circles around or keep up with the track pack cars, who would? But, they damn sure didn't expect them to be slower than a GT around the track after 10 minutes.

It's not unreasonable in this day in age and in this market segment to expect people to use these as daily drivers and occasional weekend toys.

It's also not unreasonable to expect a $60,000 car to come with navigation, heated seats, and a decent radio (and calling the Tech Pack radio decent is a stretch).

The base wasn't offered for anything other than marketing and making magazine headlines. The base model and "starting at... MSRP" was no different then when dealerships run adds of "starting at..." to get you in the door.

Like I said, I probably won't track mine, but it's garbage to say that it won't fair any better on the track than a GT. That was definitely not how this car was marketed. If so, many others would be driving something else.

As to why so many tech packs are on the lot still--that's likely because of two things:

One, most dealers that ordered a car before they had a buyer for their allocation gambled and chose to order a tech pack, along with the fact that most owners wanted the extra features (nav, heated seats, ect) that the tech packs off and didn't know that the lack of coolers would mean the car was untrackable. So, Ford simply produced more tech packs (maybe even more profitable to them, who knows).

Two, now that word is out on how bad the tech packs fair on the track, people aren't buying them as fast, so there are more left on the lots.
"Occasionally tracked" does not exist. It can either be tracked or not tracked.

jtn83

Established Member
"Occasionally tracked" does not exist. It can either be tracked or not tracked.

Then using your logic, the Tech Pack cars can't be tracked--and they don't fill Ford's Claim of "Most Track Capable Mustang Ever." That claim was repeatedly made by Ford, and without an asterisk, fine print, or any disclaimer saying they can't be.

The only literature from Ford regarding tracking the base and tech pack cars come in the owners manual (something you're given after you purchase and take delivery of the car). And it just said that coolers are recommended for track use. That's hardly making it a requirement. As we've discussed here, EVERYONE knows they're nice to have for track use, but hardly a requirement in most vehicles, just the GT350.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Then using your logic, the Tech Pack cars can't be tracked--and they don't fill Ford's Claim of "Most Track Capable Mustang Ever." That claim was repeatedly made by Ford, and without an asterisk, fine print, or any disclaimer saying they can't be.

The only literature from Ford regarding tracking the base and tech pack cars come in the owners manual (something you're given after you purchase and take delivery of the car). And it just said that coolers are recommended for track use. That's hardly making it a requirement. As we've discussed here, EVERYONE knows they're nice to have for track use, but hardly a requirement in most vehicles, just the GT350.
Look at it this way. Group the Base, Tech, Track Package, and R into a lineup. Ford advertises as most capable track Mustang ever. Now, you're saying since the Tech isn't the most capable Mustang ever...then they lied. Wrong.

Group the Focus S, SE, Titanium, ST, and RS together. Ford advertises the RS as the most capable Focus ever...you buy a SE. Do you feel like they lied to you?

You bought the Tech because you either 1) You wanted leather seats and Nav...or 2)Tech Pack cars were selling cheaper.

When the 16s hit the ground initially. I sold two Track Pack cars to other dealers for $15k and $13k over MSRP. I sold a Tech Pack the same week to another dealer for $5k over.

They were less desirable to start.

Maag

Established Member

Exactly, the supplement owner's manual is where this information is published and you don't see that until after the car is delivered @ purchase. Realize that the logic (perception) from dealers commenting in this forum will never represent the customer public. ;)

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Exactly, the supplement owner's manual is where this information is published and you don't see that until after the car is delivered @ purchase. Realize that the logic (perception) from dealers commenting in this forum will never represent the customer public. ;)

How is that logic, perception?

Great 6th post by the way.

Sounds like a bunch of whiny kids that are mad the new toy out (2017) is better than their (2016) and it's not fair the manufacturer waited a year.

Snoopy49

Established Member

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Snoopy, do you have a fold on your computer dedicated to owner's manuals and such?

Snoopy49

Established Member
I figure that if you are going to spend a lot of money for an item, you should do your research before the purchase and not after. That's why I joined this and other GT500 & Mustang forums long before I got my car and they have been a wealth of information. I downloaded the owners manuals from Ford long before I received my car and read them.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have yet to see anything published by Ford saying that The base or tech are the most track oriented mustangs ever.

In all fairness...I'm not sure I can remember them saying it about the Track Pack either... just the GT350R.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I share your opinion about this Nick, completely.

Whoever decided to offer any '15/'16 GT350 without the trans/diff coolers made a huge error in judgement. I understand they wanted to squeeze a car out at a certain price point. The bottom line is that any version of the GT350 shouldn't be outperformed by a regular GT model.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I share your opinion about this Nick, completely.

Whoever decided to offer any '15/'16 GT350 without the trans/diff coolers made a huge error in judgement. I understand they wanted to squeeze a car out at a certain price point. The bottom line is that any version of the GT350 shouldn't be outperformed by a regular GT model.

I completely agree with you. I wonder if it was just one of those decisions made to keep the base price down low, then to play harder on the "Track" focused cars compared to the car show cars.

Users who are viewing this thread