~ I WANT 400hp

Bmr4life

Established Member
My buddy is claiming he gets 460ish with exhaust,tune,x-pipe, intake and pully??

I'm sure he's making that... at the crank. :)

He's not going to get 100hp+ from those mods. Would take 525hp at the crank to make ~460rwhp assuming only 12% drive train loss. He's full of shit if he's claiming 460rwhp.

Last edited:

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
I'd highly recommend a Dyno tune over a handheld, you cant tune for driveability with a handheld...its a generic way to tune and there are variations in these cars. You'd be much happier IMO with a custom tune.

Don't you kinda have to buy a handheld anyways just to get a tune of any kind including a dyno tune?

Last edited:

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
Doesent sound like Im gonna get to 425hp for less than $3000!? (BOSS Mani, LT's, o/r Mid pipe, Tuner & Intake)
I have NO access to E85 in NC.

I decided that for the $298 Im just gonna go with a FRPP Pro-Cal tuner for now.
In a few years I will get a Twin Screw on it and custom dyno tune!

No sense in buying a Manifold, Intake and Tune just to remove it all when the SC goes on! I dont like duplicating work!

Last edited:

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
NO BOOST!!! N/A For this car...no SC/Turbo or Spray.

I thought of doing the Cat delete pipes...I already have an after cat H-Pipe.
How much does the Cat delete pipes gain you!?

No sense in buying a Manifold, Intake and Tune just to remove it all when the SC goes on! I dont like duplicating work!

This thread is all over the place.

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
LOL true....Im at a crossroads I know. I think we all were at one point...so many directions you can go with these cars!

My daughter is getting this car in 16yrs...so I have a while to play around with mods!

Bmr4life

Established Member
There are majorly only 2 kinds of coyote people. Those can pop for FI and those that can't. Those that can do and are extremely happy. Those that can't get a tune, offroad pipe and maybe a cai. Then they go back and forth on what to do next realizing that every next mod has a HORRIBLE HP/$ ratio.

Auto people like me think about gears, then realize that 3.15s are actually a perfectly fine gear that keeps us in 3rd across the stripe. We then think about getting a torque converter, but then the parts plus labor kick us in the face (roughly $2k installed). We consider a DS, but really what is it good for, a solid tenth in the 1/4 mile. In the end we go back and forth day in and day out about what to do knowing deep down that FI is the obvious choice and we need to just figure out how to get the money for it.

The least expensive FI option is about $6k if you install yourself and includes everything. Estimate another $500 for a dyno tune. This will get you into high 10s/low low 11s. There really is nothing else to think about.

Also, I'm not forgetting about the bottle. It does have a great HP/$ ratio, but I want my power all the time and I honestly fear what could go wrong between having to swap tunes, plugs, jets, etc. Also not trying to refill a bottle or loose trunk space.

Last edited:

fleshmcfilth123

Established Member
There are majorly only 2 kinds of coyote people. Those can pop for FI and those that can't. Those that can do and are extremely happy. Those that can't get a tune, offroad pipe and maybe a cai. Then they go back and forth on what to do next realizing that every next mod has a HORRIBLE HP/$ ratio.

Auto people like me think about gears, then realize that 3.15s are actually a perfectly fine gear that keeps us in 3rd across the stripe. We then think about getting a torque converter, but then the parts plus labor kick us in the face (roughly $2k installed). We consider a DS, but really what is it good for, a solid tenth in the 1/4 mile. In the end we go back and forth day in and day out about what to do knowing deep down that FI is the obvious choice and we need to just figure out how to get the money for it.

The least expensive FI option is about $6k if you install yourself and includes everything. Estimate another $500 for a dyno tune. This will get you into high 10s/low low 11s. There really is nothing else to think about.

Also, I'm not forgetting about the bottle. It does have a great HP/$ ratio, but I want my power all the time and I honestly fear what could go wrong between having to swap tunes, plugs, jets, etc. Also not trying to refill a bottle or loose trunk space.

I'm in the 2nd group. I did all the normal mods, got to the point where it didn't make sense to do anything else, got bored and went back to stock.

86merc

Established Member
Doesent sound like Im gonna get to 425hp for less than $3000!? (BOSS Mani, LT's, o/r Mid pipe, Tuner & Intake)
I have NO access to E85 in NC.

I decided that for the $298 Im just gonna go with a FRPP Pro-Cal tuner for now.

Don't get too caught up in dyno numbers. A dyno is a tool to measure differences in power between modifications. Dyno to dyno the numbers can very a bunch.

My car made 358 rwhp / 355 rwtq on a local dyno. Yet ran 11.98 @ 114 in the 1/4 with just front runners and slicks.

I am going to bet you will be very happy with the Procal. You will not pick up big peak power numbers. But under the curve gets a big boost. It will hold you over for a while. :beer:

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
Haven't people gotten into the 420s with stock mani and longtubes? Get a cheap set of longtubes with o/r pipe (>$1000) then get a good tune and you should be there if not really close. Hell there are a couple there with stock shorties.

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
Haven't people gotten into the 420s with stock mani and longtubes? Get a cheap set of longtubes with o/r pipe (>$1000) then get a good tune and you should be there if not really close. Hell there are a couple there with stock shorties.

did it with an O/R X, intake and tune only.

Last edited:

Bmr4life

Established Member

Again, peak HP gain is the same for LTs versus Offroad pipes. Why spend $1k when you can spend just $300. Also, the install takes 1/10th of the time.

Yellow4.6

Established Member
Don't you kinda have to buy a handheld anyways just to get a tune of any kind including a dyno tune?

No, mine is flashed. Others believe Handleds will be just fine. But I don't believe a handheld comes close to a custom tune IMO. So much goes into a good tune than just a loaded program from a handheld.

From a stock car to a fully built blown car Custom tune is way to go.

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
No, mine is flashed. Others believe Handleds will be just fine. But I don't believe a handheld comes close to a custom tune IMO. So much goes into a good tune than just a loaded program from a handheld.

From a stock car to a fully built blown car Custom tune is way to go.

Flashed using what? I guess i don't follow.

Users who are viewing this thread