I tried....Tvs rotor swap on m112

twofast

Established Member
Hey guys just thought I'd share just in case anyone else though about doing this. It started with me researching ideas to get more power out of the eaton besides the normal porting and pulley swap. I'd heard about people in the past asking about this so I thought I'd give it a try. I researched that our blowers are about 1.8L and found out that the ZL1 Camaro and CTS-V use a 1.9l tvs eaton. So I figured a little machine work could be done to get this to work...maybe machining down the rotors or something. Hell they are both made by eaton so I figured they couldn't be that much different. Well the rotors I found on a ctsv forum arrived today. I took apart my spare eaton m112 and prayed they would slide into the case and hoping maybe a custom snout adaptor could be machined to get the longer rotors to fit in the case kinda like the m122 rotor swap that Steggy made a few years back.
Well the rotors of the 1.9L TVs are not longer... In fact they are about 1/2 inch shorter but about 1/2 wider...so not only will they not slide into the case...they are too short. I was really hoping this would work and this could be an awesome way to make a killer sleeper eaton. I'm no engineer or machinist but was hoping maybe someone could run with this idea and figure out a way to get this to work or open up other ideas for more power out of the eaton.
Just thought I'd share with you guys.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,063
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,586

SOVACobra03

I have an addiction......
Established Member
I don't be the length being an issue. The issue is the width. I doubt you can mill out a .25 of material from both sides of the case

twofast

Established Member
I don't be the length being an issue. The issue is the width. I doubt you can mill out a .25 of material from both sides of the case

Exactly, I'm not going to attempt that. There isn't even enough material to mill to get them into the case. I wish someone would start producing a set of tvs rotors that would fit into the stock case. I wonder what it would cost to get a machine shop to mill a set of rotors. Could you imagine the potential of a simple rotor swap. I'm sure the reason why no one has done this is cost of course but if you could get a shop to produce enough of them I'm sure cost could come down. I'm sure Steggy or Posi could get this done with enough people pre-ordering them.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I wish someone would start producing a set of tvs rotors that would fit into the stock case. I wonder what it would cost to get a machine shop to mill a set of rotors. Could you imagine the potential of a simple rotor swap.

I think the problem on the M112 is in the inlet. Steggy didn't look to be getting the same gains out of their rotor swap vs the Cobra Engineering kit which used the 122 case as well. If you look at the 122 inlet it's probably about 150% more area, same with the VMP TVS blower the inlet is huge. A set of TVS rotors in a 112 might get you some gain but still breathing through a straw the ROE is not going to be there. I love my Posi Eaton but feel like it's about as far as you can push it with the ported stock inlet. There was a guy making a Franken-eaton that looked on the right track, but some one stole the case.

Last edited:

2003cobra22

Corn Fed
Established Member
If you were going to pursue TVS rotors in an m112 case Id recommend the MP112 case, factory look but more potential.
Screen Shot 2015-07-28 at 3.58.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-07-29 at 6.01.40 PM.png

Last edited:

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
No doubt the MP112 is better, the issue with that is different egr, bypass, coming up with a plenum, not to mention it doesn't look to bolt directly to a 03-04 lower intake. Makes sense on a Tork Tech because you essentially starting from scratch anyway and sourcing factory here and there. TBH once you start modding the 112 past a port your at least 75% or more to the cost of a VMP.

In my opinion VMP has pretty much done what OP is trying to do. That is, house the TVS rotors in an efficient case with like stock fitment (no complex reroute, removable plenum for injector maintenance etc). The advantage VMP has is infrastructure and spreading out the development cost over a good size market. I am all for innovation and hotrodding (do my own work and tuning), but I don't think you'll ever be able to beat ROI of a VMP. The CE kit is great bargain but after at least a ported 122 and moving the battery etc, your in bolton aftermarket blower cost range.

Unless your doing it just for the novelty of doing it like the link I referenced, realizing it's more expensive and less effective it's not worth dumping money into a 112.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread