I think my idler pulleys are going bad

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
I think my stock idler pulleys are going bad

I just installed my Billetflow Idler bracket and 2.80 pulley last week and have noticed that since a couple of days ago my idler pulleys are making a weird brushing sound. It almost sounds like a bag of leaves being moved around. Sometimes I even get a squeak or two. When I spray WD-40 on the stock idler pullies, the sound goes away. But it quickly comes back later. How hard is it to regrease the bearings inside the idlers? Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Billetflow idler works fine,,,,the stock idlers are the ones making noise.

Last edited:

dougwg

Established Member
what ones are making the noises?

the stock pulleys or the BilletFlow pulleys?

Which Idler pulley kit did you get?

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by COBRyan
I just installed my Billetflow Idler bracket and 2.80 pulley last week and have noticed that since a couple of days ago my idler pulleys are making a weird brushing sound. It almost sounds like a bag of leaves being moved around. Sometimes I even get a squeak or two. When I spray WD-40 on the stock idler pullies, the sound goes away. But it quickly comes back later. How hard is it to regrease the bearings inside the idlers? Any help would be appreciated.
This strikes me as curious. You, and most here, know who makes the BilletFlow stuff, or the whatever go-fast-product. Yet instead of calling, e-mailing, PMing, or whatever, you post here. Why? The only reason I can fathom is you want to MAKE the person come to you. I don't get it. Doug, you make some good shit and you must have a lot of patience to deal with piddly BS whining like this.

SVT 03 Cobra

be a little more specific, there are several stock idlers, and the idle on the BF bracket, which is making noise?

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
I'm certainly no expert, but I definitely wouldn't use WD40 as a lubricant on bearings, which is sort of what you are doing.

I wouldn't spray that on them again. Then hopefully someone else can give you tips on re-greasing them.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by COBRyan
Jesus I said STOCK idler pullies! Read before you flame please! I never said I had a problem with the damn Billetflow bracket but that the stock idler pullies are going bad. :rollseyes Shit like this makes me want to leave the site. Thanks 03DOHC
I did read it. Why did you have to put Billet Flow in your post if it had nothing to do with a BilletFlow product? That associates your problem with BilletFlow and it isn't right.

Sorry if I overreacted, but "shit like this" still doesn't make sense.

Now that you edited your post, it is clearer what your complaint is.

Last edited:

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
sorry guys I guess I should have been more clear about the problem. Please accept my apology for yelling 03DOHC but I just didnt want anyone to think I was knocking a vendors product. The Billetflow idler has proven to be a good investment. But for some reason my stock idlers wanted to crap out at the same time. Just trying to see if I can regrease my stock pullies but looking for firsthand experience.

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
The stock pulleys use sealed bearings. If they fail you have to purchace a new pulley. The bearings are not serviceable. You might be able to press them out and replace them, but I always just ordered a new pulley assy.

Last edited:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
The bearings are a serviceable item. They can be purchased at auto parts shops. About $8.00 each. They are sealed and not made to be lubricated.
Car-Quest sells them. I bought 2 already.
I didn't try Ford.
An entire idler pulley is about $25.
Dana

sqidd

Established Member
dANA,

What made you change a few of your bearings? Were they making noise? Do you think that it has anything to do with the extra tension on the belt? Have I asked enough questions?

sqidd

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
squid,
I didn't change them. The bearings I purchased were for the custom idler pulleys that I had made. I used the stock replacement part for ease of service later. The original bearings are still in the original pulleys.

No, none of them were making noise, not the new ones or the old ones from the factory.

Tension is controlled by the spring loaded idler. If that is not modified somehow, the tension on the belt should not exceed the factory limits.

Changing the lower pulley may accelerate the wear as they spin faster than original design intended. I don't know if that is actually exceeding the limits of the bearing though, but they do have limits. Changing the upper has no effect on idler bearing speed.

Heat is also a factor in bearing wear. Here again, I don't know if the extra HP that is being pumped out by some of these motors is enough to have an effect on them.

I would add these bearing to the normal inspection routine that I am sure everyone performs faithfully. They are going to give out eventually. Nothing lasts forever. Well, almost nothing anyway.

You have 3 questions left...

Dana

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
this could be belt noise, idler alignment, or bearing noise after ruling all but the last out get a needle greaser and do the bearing to see if it decreases before buying new idlers

Users who are viewing this thread