i think my clutch went

army_man1014

Established Member
I was driving like 3 miles to get my car washed and i shifted into 3 rd gear and it just felt different then other times. then i heard a loud squeal, it continued to squeal. i pulled over, turned car off. lifted hood and smoke was coming from the firewall area. " ok , i think my clutch is burning", i said. I thought crap i better hurry and get it home. turned around and got .08 miles from home and the clutch just snapped. possibly the cable. so me and 2 buddies pushed her .08 miles ..damm this car is heavy.

What do you guys think this is be? I havent had any issues before, this just happened all a sudden. The pedal now has no tension , so clutch cable broke i think...help guys

03 cobra, fidannza flywheel and fidanzza stage 4 clutch with new TOB.

Jefe

Established Member
squeal leads me to believe its your TOB but the smoke is not good...Get under the car, it is simple to check the cable

army_man1014

Established Member
the cable is broke. i just checked on that.

now the smoking i dont know what they could be. the car was squealing for a few mins as i was going home. ..any idea guys

army_man1014

Established Member
i google a smoking clutch and came up with something.

maybe it was a failed t.o.b.. now if it was smoking, then i assume the clutch wasn't releasing and wearing with the pressure plate creating friction. So that's probably toast also, ugh.

How hard is it to drop our trannys. i have a tob so if i drop it and every looks good i could just replace the tob.

termin80r

Established Member
Clutch replacment in these is pretty easy. some of the bolts were hard for me to get to because i have big hands, but i got a buddy with smaller hands to get those two out, and it was a breeze. If you dnt have a lift and a transmission jack, its always better to have an extra set of hands to stab it.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
i google a smoking clutch and came up with something.

maybe it was a failed t.o.b.. now if it was smoking, then i assume the clutch wasn't releasing and wearing with the pressure plate creating friction. So that's probably toast also, ugh.

How hard is it to drop our trannys. i have a tob so if i drop it and every looks good i could just replace the tob.
At the very least, I would also get a TOB Retainer Sleeve as well.

termin80r

Established Member
well, id pull it apart and see what the problem actually is before i spent the cash on a new clutch. I bought the spec stage 3, and 1000 miles later, the new TOB went, So id probably buy a better quality one, ive heard the ford racing ones last, but havent had one yet.

Anabolic

Banned
using like 3x 1' extensions and a swivel helps getting the top bolts in the bellhousing out. haha. but it takes like 10 minutes to pop out once you do it the first time you'll remember it forever

army_man1014

Established Member
lol yea i heard the two bolts are a pain in the ass...i might drop the tranny and just check it out.i have a ford tob, is thats teh problem but from the smoke and the horrbible smell of clutch i really think its fried.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I thought Lethal Performance made the best TOB's for the cobra's..... Also just take it apart and inspect everything before you spend a dime... Hopefully this isnt your DD and the downtime isnt an issue

army_man1014

Established Member
well it has been the last few months. I have my wifes car now but just sucks taking her car all the time and leaving her home with 2 kids with no trans.

I wanna take it apart but dont have 2 much stuff to lift the car a foot of the ground so i can get my big ass under her..

Users who are viewing this thread