I think I toasted my IRS

03 svt

Established Member
I had a leaky rear for the second time and by the time I caught it it was almost a whole quart low. Needless to say I changed the seal and filled her up but now its howling like crazy, sounds like I have mud tires on it. How bad is rebuilding the irs? wonder if I should just go solid now? seems like it would cost way more though

SVT_Troy

Established Member
yes, upgrade your diff. Search a little on here and you'll find what will suit your needs. I should have been a little more clear. I think the wine is taking its toll on me!

SlowSVT

Established Member
Your ring & pinion are toast!

No biggie, new set of gears, bearings and seals and your good to go. Get an FRP cast diff cover to beef-up the case and prevent future leaks

Don't ditch the IRS as a reflex because something went wrong. It's a better "all around" suspension then an SRA.

Good time to install a FTBR IRS bushing kit

ijt351

Established Member
I sure did, I think it was low for a while plus I'm not positive I got the pinion nut tight enough. Shameful

If it did not make noise before its fine, take it to a trans shop now and have the pinion set up, or at least grab ahold of pinion if there is any up down movement or in out, tighten that bolt more. They can be a bitch and require quite a bit of torque, I have sat with a good impact for 30 seconds to get em tighten enough, but too tight will smoke a bearing also and require a new crush sleeve and start allover.

03 svt

Established Member
The noise slowly came on but I doubt I have even 200 miles on it sinctightened up the pinion nut. Maybe I'll get lucky. It actually sounds like loud tires which is what I thought it was at first, but my nittos are brand new

ijt351

Established Member
listen for change from accell to decel. if there is a change the pinion is moving and needs to be tightened more. if sound is constant bearings are bad, but really is not end of the world and will last technically forever as long as it remains full of fluid.

03 svt

Established Member
update: re torqued my pinion nut and rotated the rear with a ratchet, it gritty and notchy feeling almost jerky/ grabby to rotate most certainly bearings or worse gone bad

Users who are viewing this thread