I think I need to bleed my master cylinder... I got questions

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
I recently replaced all 4 brake lines with Russell stainless steel lines because I tore one while dropping the IRS. While it was torn, the brake fluid leaked out to the point where part of the master cylinder reservoir was empty (there's two compartments in there, the other was still full). After I swapped out the brake lines we bled/flushed all 4 corners. I'm 99% sure we did it correctly, and there's clean fluid throughout the system. Problem is, the brake pedal is softer than is was before. The car is driveable and still brakes well (better than most ordinary cars), but it certainly isn't as good as it was before.

So I'm thinking I need to bleed the MC. I've never done this before, but I'm willing to give it a try if no special tools are necessary. How hard is this to do? I'm trying to get my service manual to work (ironic, since I'm the one who created this thread!), so if anyone can give me a quick rundown on how to do this, I'd really appreciate it.

Phil

SlowSVT

Established Member
Take an empty 2 liter soda bottle and poke 1 hole big enough to squeeze an 1/8" clear tube about 2 - 3 feet long (fish tank air aider line works well) and poke a small breather hole in the cap. Push the tube thru the hole till it reaches the bottom. Attach the tube to each nipple and crack it open. Make sure the reservoir stays full during the entire process or you will introduce air into the system. Now pump the brake pedal and bleed each caliper one at a time making sure the reservoir always has fluid. Make sure the tuba stays attached to the nipple until you tighten it. It's nice to place the bottle where you can see the air bubbles traveling thru the clear tube while pumping the pedal.

Keep the bottle with the old brake fluid which comes in handy next time you need to bleed brakes.

Last edited:

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Forget bleeding brakes (and the MC for that matter) the old-fashioned way. Get a Motive Power Bleeder and you will never look back. Takes very little time and the brake pedal will be rock solid. You can pick them up on Amazon for around $50 - money well spent.

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
Forget bleeding brakes (and the MC for that matter) the old-fashioned way. Get a Motive Power Bleeder and you will never look back. Takes very little time and the brake pedal will be rock solid. You can pick them up on Amazon for around $50 - money well spent.

I'm looking at their site, and I recall having used their setup (ore one that was very similar) with moderate success. I understand the concept, and from what I can tell by user reviews, most of the problems stem from user error, although the "universal with adapters" nature of the product is problematic too in some cases. My question is, why should I spend $50-60 for this when I can just open my toolbox, take out an appropriately-sized spanner and a regular brake bleeding setup and do it for free? Is bleeding the MC really any more complicated than bleeding a brake caliper?

Last edited:

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Time vs. Money. Spending $50 for a specific (not universal) kit and doing the job in 20 or so minutes was well worth it. Done once, done perfectly, and no hassle with someone pumping and holding the brakes while you crawl around the car. Used it on both of my Fords and the brakes have been rock solid. Not to mention, the fluid was completely flushed in the process.

Users who are viewing this thread