I think I gave my debit card to a scam site

svtcobra2k3

Established Member
I bought a Watch on some website it cost about $500, and after doing more research I read things on Google saying not to buy from them, they will take the money and never send the item. I just don't want the item I ordered anymore and just want my money back and prefer to purchase it at the store instead. Can I go to my bank and request for a new Debit card number and request for a refund that was withdrawn from my account?

BelvedereGTX

Banned
svtcobra2k3 said:
I bought a Watch on some website it cost about $500, and after doing more research I read things on Google saying not to buy from them, they will take the money and never send the item. I just don't want the item I ordered anymore and just want my money back and prefer to purchase it at the store instead. Can I go to my bank and request for a new Debit card number and request for a refund that was withdrawn from my account?
Yes. I have had a similar problem. All you have to do is call your bank and tell them to them what you found. They will cancel the payment and cancel your card and send you a new one. I dont know how your bank works but wachovia is very prompt. I was even scammed twice out of about 200 bucks. Even weeks later my back refunded the money immediately to me and they went after the scammers.

HMUSN

Established Member
you can request a refund from the company you bought it from.

if their policy states no refunds your sol.

unless of course you never get your item... then you go to your bank and report fraud.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
NEVER use a DEBIT card for on-line purchases. Credit cards are a much safer option.

Banks are not required by law to provide the same purchase protections for debit cards that they are for credit cards. Some banks do offer decent protection for their debit cards, but they are not bound by law to do so.

Understand that your liability in a debit card transaction is linked to the amount of time that passes before you report the problem to your bank. So if you think you've been ripped off, call your bank sooner rather than later.

Read these links to understand the limitations of debit cards:

http://www.pirg.org/consumer/banks/debit/debitcards1.htm

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20010706a.asp

http://www.nacsonline.com/NACS/Resource/PRToolkit/FactSheets/prtk_debitholds_factsheet.htm

Last edited:

Sonic_GT

Established Member
the way it works with credit cards is that if a charge is pending, you have to try and work it out with the merchant first. the credit card companies cant't just issue a void by customers word of mouth because for all they know it could be someone trying to fraud the merchant out of money. if the charge then posts to the account whereas it will appear on a statement, you can contact their billing disputes department and let them know what happened. sometimes its a pain because if you willingly gave your acct# and got scammed, its not necessarily a fraud issue that a credit card company can take. not sure if its the same way with debit cards though.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Sonic_GT said:
...not sure if its the same way with debit cards though.
It's up to the individual bank's policy on what they do in a debit card situation.

With a credit card, you disupte first and pay later - if applicable. With a debit card, money is gone from your account instantly. Then you dispute the charge and rely on the bank to issue a provisional credit. And while you're waiting for the money to be put back in your account, you hopefully aren't overdrawing your account and incurring overdraft fees.

Users who are viewing this thread