I think i can smoke the lil vdub??

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
k got a buddy at work with a 99 (he says its a 99.5 if that makes a huge difference), it is a VW Golf, with the vr6 (2.8 v6) motor. It is stock accept for an exhaust (magnaflow)... okay long story short he thinks he has a chance... and thinks he won a race because when i first bought the car he "raced me" while i sat at the launch burning them up and started reeling him in 2nd and he let off after i started to reel him in, DONT KNOW WHY, well okay i could not launch the car that well back when i first bought it. Who do u guys think is going to get raped in this race? check my sig for my car's specs. (i am thinkin is this even a legit question) cuse i think i can smoke him... but he really thinks he has a chance what do you guys think?

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
TorchRedCobra04 said:
k got a buddy at work with a 99 (he says its a 99.5 if that makes a huge difference), it is a VW Golf, with the vr6 (2.8 v6) motor. It is stock accept for an exhaust (magnaflow)... okay long story short he thinks he has a chance... and thinks he won a race because when i first bought the car he "raced me" while i sat at the launch burning them up and started reeling him in 2nd and he let off after i started to reel him in, DONT KNOW WHY, well okay i could not launch the car that well back when i first bought it. Who do u guys think is going to get raped in this race? check my sig for my car's specs. (i am thinkin is this even a legit question) cuse i think i can smoke him... but he really thinks he has a chance what do you guys think?

money talks, bullshit walks

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
uh? hence why i said "i think i can" i dont talk shit

...but like i was saying, who has a better chance of winning this race??

1993R

Established Member
Horsepower to weight plus gearing will be the key. Figure you weigh about 3400 lbs and from your combo you have 220-230 hp to the rear wheels.You don't post your gear ratio. What hp and weight is the VW???

DocHolliday01

Established Member
if you can drive you should beat him. just get a good launch and powershift and you should be golden. he will probably have trouble launching a fwd any better than you can launch so you shouldnt lose there.

Last edited:

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
the rear end is the factory ratio for the 88 lx, i dont remember what the factory rear is geared at. Well put it this way, i dont have a rear end gear advantage because i dont have one that will win up any quicker. What do u guys figure the vr6's run quarters in?

Last edited:

1993R

Established Member
Your gear is either 2:73 or 3:08 . Stock VR6 weighs 2820 lbs. Stock HP is 174. But with mods could easily be 200 hp at fly wheel. Will be close if you get some traction you might take him.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
If you can half a$$ drive you should pull him easily.

There use to be a guy with a VR6 Golf that I met nearly every morning on my way to work. He always messed with me. My stock LX would pull away pretty easily. When I drove my 93 Cobra I would walk all over him... not even close.

A VR6 Golf is nothing but a 15sec. 1/4 mile car... with exhaust, driver mod. maybe a high 14sec. car on a good day.

The only VW I ever had give me a hard run in my stock Cobra was a pretty modded Corrado (sp?). I think they are a 1.8 Turbo motor w/ AWD

Users who are viewing this thread