I think I busted a pulley...Help please

george.arnold

Established Member
I busted a the A/C compressor pulley...Check it out

What is the belt driven accessory on the lower passenger front of the Coyote? It looks to be a clutch-type pulley. AC compressor is what I'm guessing.

Thanks for help.

Last edited:

george.arnold

Established Member
Alright, here's a picture of what I'm working with. It's definitely busted, but now I'm trying to figure out what may have happened. The belt is still on it, and the AC is blowing cold. Is that some sort of balancer that busted? I am getting a slight vibration once the compressor kicks on.

BD90CC41-7E3C-4B0C-8244-4BE29D2CA9FD.jpg

Last edited:

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Slight vibration huh? No joke! The pulley may be ok but the AC clutch hub and plate are thrashed! How many miles on it, haven't seen that yet on one of these.

george.arnold

Established Member

kevinp

Established Member
The clutch is rubber isolated and you just found what happens when the rubber fails.

Stretchy belt is easy to remove (knife lol) and really not that hard to get on.

Out of warranty I take it?

Bud

Established Member
I've figured out what I've got ahead of me.

This is the part I need. It's on eBay from Tasca. Looks like I'd have to buy the whole compressor assembly if I ordered it from my local Ford house.

Brand New AC Compressor Clutch Pulley Kit 2011 2013 Ford Mustang 5 0L V8 | eBay

And this is the removal process. I've never heard of a "STRETCHY BELT REMOVER". Ha.

Ford Service Manuals - REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

I have a low mileage one I just pulled off my car, let me know if you want to save a little money on a used part (8200 miles on the car when pulled, it is a 2012). PM me if interested

4VFTW

Established Member
never in a million years would I have guessed a tie strap and a piece of a woven belt would be the required tools to replace a belt...lol

george.arnold

Established Member
The clutch is rubber isolated and you just found what happens when the rubber fails.

Stretchy belt is easy to remove (knife lol) and really not that hard to get on.

Out of warranty I take it?

I'm at 52k miles. I doubt that this would be covered under the 60k power train warranty. I'll call them and see what they say.

Thank you for clarifying how that clutch/pulley works. That helps everything make sense.

kevinp

Established Member
I'm at 52k miles. I doubt that this would be covered under the 60k power train warranty. I'll call them and see what they say.

Thank you for clarifying how that clutch/pulley works. That helps everything make sense.

AC is out of warranty a 52K (3/36) but if you didnt warranty whore the car and its pretty stock you may want to see if the dealer will help you out on it, 50k is usually the mark on courtesy repairs but you never know. Especially if you bought the car there, never hurts to ask and it certainly doesnt take any diagnostic time to figure out whats wrong, Ford may want to see what failed..

I would cut the AC belt though, dont need anything flying off and damaging anything else.

george.arnold

Established Member
I have a low mileage one I just pulled off my car, let me know if you want to save a little money on a used part (8200 miles on the car when pulled, it is a 2012). PM me if interested

Just left a message with my service department here in town. If they say its covered, then great. If not, we'll probably be talking.

george.arnold

Established Member
I would cut the AC belt though, dont need anything flying off and damaging anything else.

I cut the belt and started the car. The vibration is gone. Good. Now I feel like I'm hearing a 'hissing' noise still coming from the engine bay, almost like that exploding pulley may have nicked a hose somewhere. No abnormal smells or noticeable vapors coming up. Maybe its just intake noise from the JLT.

Users who are viewing this thread