I think I am goin to cut the springs on the cobra

SVTBoxer

Established Member
Hey I am goin back and forth on wether to cut my springs or buy some H&R. Let me know how you guys feel and if u have lowered your car please let me know what you used and if you have cut ur springs please tell me how much you cut off the front and back and if you ran into any problems. Thanks...

MTI LS1

I just cut some off my Steedas and it came out perfect. I would have cut the stock springs from the beginning rather than getting the H&R's then Steedas and then cutting.

wiz

your daddy!!!
Established Member
tinted_windows_003.jpg

cdh027

Established Member
wiz said:
cut stockers. 1 coil in front 1/2 out back.

Wiz, I just did mine too. I think you'd be better if you went with 3/4 of a coil in the back. :rockon:

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
thats what i was thinkin.....drop the rear just a tad more and it will look unreal!

BLWN46

Established Member
I had to cut my rear Eibachs anyway, so why not try the stockers first.

SVTBoxer

Established Member
Yea I think I am goin to go for the cut, I need to drop the back about a half inch more than the front. I want the car to look level. I just hope I don't run into problems with my tires hitting the fender when the suspension comes under a big load. At max I only have one person riding in my car with me so I don't think that will cause a problem.

BradN01

Yes, it's factory paint
Established Member
picture014.jpg

Cut them and don't look back! It's not everyday you find a CHEAP mod for your car. 1 full coil front and back with stock isolators.

Sonik Blur

]V[EGADET]-[
Established Member
BradN01 said:
picture014.jpg

Cut them and don't look back! It's not everyday you find a CHEAP mod for your car. 1 full coil front and back with stock isolators.
Sunuvab!ch!!! I should'a done that!! It is A LOT cheaper than H&R's, trust me and the out come is identical! If you wanna save the cash I would recommend it, had I seen this pic I would have done this a long time ago....damn!

-Mike

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
You guys fail to understand with a lower center of gravity after lowering a car it requires a higher spring rate! Not ever free or cheap is the best mod. Take into account the weight of these things etc. and I see why the car sat so high for more suspension travel in the first place. Each spring is designer for diff. things. A higher spring rate reduces a lot more roll than a lower center of gravity and greatly enhances steering response hence the reason why H&R race springs makes handling a lot better than the SS's. If it's all for looks then that’s fine but don't make it seem that buying aftermarket springs is a waste of money to others when in all actuality that’s not the case. A stock 600/600 spring rate is "shyt" when you car sits 2"-"3" from the ground.

Last edited:

cdh027

Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
You guys fail to understand with a lower center of gravity after lowering a car it requires a higher spring rate! Not ever free or cheap is the best mod. Take into account the weight of these things etc. and I see why the car sat so high for more suspension travel in the first place. Each spring is designer for diff. things. A higher spring rate reduces a lot more roll than a lower center of gravity and greatly enhances steering response hence the reason why H&R race springs makes handling a lot better than the SS's. If it's all for looks then that’s fine but don't make it seem that buying aftermarket springs is a waste of money to others when in all actuality that’s not the case. A stock 600/600 spring rate is "shyt" when you car sits 2"-"3" from the ground.

I think you fail to realize that when you cut your springs to lower the vehicle you actually are increasing the spring rate. It's a win/win situation, you lower your center of gravity and you increase your spring rate.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
cdh027-2 said:
I think you fail to realize that when you cut your springs to lower the vehicle you actually are increasing the spring rate. It's a win/win situation, you lower your center of gravity and you increase your spring rate.

true....I think a lot of people might assume we have progressive-rate springs, which we don't

progressives should never be cut, IMO

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
cdh027-2 said:
-Chop off some coils and you've dramatically reduced the amount of material, which almost always will lead to an overstressed coil that will sag prematurely.

-A reduction in ride height is normally coupled with a proportionate increase in rate to offset the reduced bump travel. We need to slow down the compression of the spring enough to make sure we don't punch through to the shock at high velocity. A properly designed lowered spring will have a rate increase sufficient to offset this bump travel reduction. (so negative, cutting a coil(s) off your stockers doesn't increase the spring rate enough to offset the lower center of gravity Einstein!) :rolleyes:

Good readings!

Cutting stock springs is a "hillbilliesh" act IMO. You'll spend $200 on a shifter and $120+ on a pulley, $100-200+ on some damn coil covers/bling but you won't take the time to invest $200 in some better springs. :nonono:

Last edited:

mystic04

Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
-Chop off some coils and you've dramatically reduced the amount of material, which almost always will lead to an overstressed coil that will sag prematurely.

-A reduction in ride height is normally coupled with a proportionate increase in rate to offset the reduced bump travel. We need to slow down the compression of the spring enough to make sure we don't punch through to the shock at high velocity. A properly designed lowered spring will have a rate increase sufficient to offset this bump travel reduction. (so negative, cutting a coil(s) off your stockers doesn't increase the spring rate enough to offset the lower center of gravity Einstein!) :rolleyes:

Good readings!

Cutting stock springs is a "hillbilliesh" act IMO. You'll spend $200 on a shifter and $120+ on a pulley, $100-200+ on some damn coil covers/bling but you won't take the time to invest $200 in some better springs. :nonono:
Well said .

Sonik Blur

]V[EGADET]-[
Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:

Good readings!

Okay, I don't feel so bad about buying the H&R's now, lol....Thanks for reinforcing my decision!!

-Mike

Established Member
Cut em. I'm still in the process of getting some pictures up but I cut 1 full coil all the way around and the car sits perfect and ride is awesome. If you don't like it after it's done then just buy some springs. It's as easy as that.

Users who are viewing this thread