I spent Sat. @Gingerman flogging a C6 Z06....

b_tone

East bound and down!!!!
Established Member
It was an animal. That car is great and urberfast. You (BRUCE) 00R guys don't stand a chance.....

Ask your questions now and I'll give you my feedback.....

bpt

SDW Racing

Established Member
What was your impressions, I need details! I feel the new Z06 is the best bang for the buck, bar none, domestically or otherwise. It is one snotty beast.

Last edited:

Cobra-R

Established Member
What kind of lap times were you able to run with the Z06? What is your honest opinion of it compared to the GT?

Brian

Andy M

Established Member
It will take some pretty terrific driving skills AND a willingness to push the R to places it may have never been to keep up with this thing. It takes a lot to make up for the power to weight and low center of gravity.

Man, I sure wish Ford would make a "real" sports car to compete with the Vette?!! The Mustangs are great, but they are just too heavy to compete with the Vette/Z06.

b4409

Established Member
Sooo, what's the steering feel like? How many laps did you actually get? Has it lost that big plasticky feel? What would you change? Will a 5pt harness work with the seat? . . . .

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
b_tone said:
You (BRUCE) 00R guys don't stand a chance.....

Tonester:

You'll have to wait for me and Damian to post the videos of our C6 2006 Z06 kills (notice plurals) this past weekend at Auto-Bahn?!?!

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: (ok, we spanked a Ford GT too, but that don't count nearly as much as the Z!! Right fellas?!?!?) ;-)

They went down like cheap dates!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Videos (Oh yes, we definitely HAVE THEM!!!) to follow.

:read: :pepper:

Last edited:

b_tone

East bound and down!!!!
Established Member
Bruce, what's your fast lap at Gingerman?

I ran between 75-100 laps in the car. The steering felt very precise and linear (keep in mind that on OEM street tires the response is a bit vague). The car had mild understeer and some wicked drop throttle oversteer. The car took a while to get the hang of to the point where I could catch it as it rotated. It did not rotate as easily as I wanted it to (using the brake).

That car has gobs of power and pulls hard right up to the 7k limiter. The whole track can be run very hard in 3rd gear. The trans shifted well w/o feeling vague or notchy throttle response was very good power was linear.

The brakes were fantastic, the ABS cal is very good. I had no fade all day even divebombing into T1 letting the ABS take over.

The interior quality was good. It looked good and felt good (not plasticy to the touch). Road NVH was well within the acceptable range on the drive out and back. This is a car that can be driven every day in comfort.

It is also capable of running a 1:31.96 @ Gingerman on the street tires and a passenger. That was recorded by our data acq.....

Bruce I have no doubt that you passed some Z06's and a GT but without a "real" driver in those cars it's like beating up your little sister.

Last edited:

b4409

Established Member
Good thing they're aren't too many "real" drivers around these days! It's like the GT3's at a Porsche club event -- you know they ought to be going faster than you, but it's cool that they're not.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
b_tone said:
Bruce, what's your fast lap at Gingerman?

Bruce I have no doubt that you passed some Z06's and a GT but without a "real" driver in those cars it's like beating up your little sister.

Brian:

I never had a 'reason' to put my good stuff (tires/wheels) on at Gingerman and run a lap. With Nitto's on the car AND my Nephew (who weighs more than I do) riding as a passenger, I ran a 1:37. Brian Groth and I were debating on how much a passenger slows you down there and I estimated 2 seconds? He didn't think it was that much? I guess we won't know until we test the theory?

If you would read my "We got our work cut out for us" thread:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221934

You would have remembered that I "said"
ac427cobra said:
I'm going to continue to hope they are all piloted by crappy drivers!! That's our best defense!! :pepper:

Brian, I certainly don't think, that you think, that I'm as naive as you're coming across? I know full well that even a decent driver in a new C-6 Z06 will take me to the wood shed. (heck, I'll bet YOU could even do it?!?! ) :poke: ;-)

That's what I find so facinating about this silly little exercise. :fart: I find it very entertaining. Maybe others don't? But I do!!

It's like the story of "The Little R that could". I'm pretty sure you're familiar with that story?!?! :read:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Last edited:

Mr. Mysti

Established Member
Good driving Brian.

1645144a.jpg

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
OK, JMHO:

The C6 Z06 is a great car. I'll probably get one in three years when they cost $30K. :-D

I have about $27K in my '02 C5 Z06. You couldn't touch a '00R for that.

It's all about being a racing gearhead. You need to experience a few different brands, but your heart always goes back to the Mustang.

Yes, a C6 Z06 can whoop a '00R. You'll need $70K (with taxes) to buy the car and another $50K to get in on the track (rollbar, parts, etc.). A '05 Ford GT just sold for $132K. What will be more enjoyable over the next five years: racing a C6 Z06 or owning a Ford GT? :shrug: The Ford GT will be less money over a couple of years.

Can you tell I'm burnt out on the cost involved with racing?

P/S The guy with the most money always ultimately wins the amateur race!!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
1995COBRA-R said:
OK, JMHO:

The C6 Z06 is a great car. I'll probably get one in three years when they cost $30K. :-D

[/SIZE]

Hey Doc:

That's pretty optimistic isn't it?!! :poke: ;-)

And to think there are people teasing me about my plan of buying a Ford GT in a couple years for 80k?!?! :shrug:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
ac427cobra said:
That's pretty optimistic isn't it?!!
And to think there are people teasing me about my plan of buying a Ford GT in a couple years for 80k?!?! :shrug:
I'm a born optimist :-D .

Bruce, I'd say the momentum of the falling prices on Ford GT's point to your being dead on correct. I'd be a little more conservative and say it may be three years before you get it.

Did you see the pics of the new Ford GT roadster (I forgot what they call it)? It will be previewed at SEMA. The open top crowd will want one of those; taking the newness off the GT (the same crowd that wants a Z06 'vert :dw: ).

The new vehicle I am most excited about is the S197 Mustang that might be suitable for a road race guy. I'll pass on the Shelby, but I'd buy a new S197 Boss/Mach. I won't worry about the depreciation since I plan to stick it in the wall anyway. :-D :nonono:
---------
Mr. Mystic: Why doesn't the g-force figures match on the chart you posted? They offer one figure on the chart and completely other numbers on the "track facts" numbers. The GT needs to go on a diet (342 lbs heavier than the Z06).

I wonder how the GT (not that I'd ever consider doing it) would run in continual 90%+ track use? Would the water and oil temps stay in a safe range?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
1995COBRA-R said:
I'm a born optimist :-D .

Bruce, I'd say the momentum of the falling prices on Ford GT's point to your being dead on correct. I'd be a little more conservative and say it may be three years before you get it.

Did

I like your thinking Doc!! :thumbsup:

1995COBRA-R said:
The new vehicle I am most excited about is the S197 Mustang that might be suitable for a road race guy. I'll pass on the Shelby, but I'd buy a new S197 Boss/Mach. I won't worry about the depreciation since I plan to stick it in the wall anyway. :-D :nonono:
---------

I think a 'slim-fast' version of the S197 (from the factory, perhaps similar to the "R" program?) would be a big hit? Possibly as many as 1,000 cars? Say 50k? There might be more interest for something like that than some people (Ford Brass) might think?

Mark and Brian:

You guys wanna get going on that?!?! :poke: :read:

Cobra-R

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
I think a 'slim-fast' version of the S197 (from the factory, perhaps similar to the "R" program?) would be a big hit? Possibly as many as 1,000 cars? Say 50k? There might be more interest for something like that than some people (Ford Brass) might think?

Mark and Brian:

You guys wanna get going on that?!?! :poke: :read:

I think Brian has been telling you this already, the car you are looking for is the new Z06. :beer:

Brian

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Cobra-R said:
I think Brian has been telling you this already, the car you are looking for is the new Z06. :beer:

Brian

Ok Brian:

Dyed in the wool, Ford Blue bleeding guys don't drive the car of the biggest rival no matter what! (I think Ken knows what I'm talking about!?!?) :burnout:

The Tonester shouldn't be telling everybody on the SVT Performance message board how awesome the competition's vehicles are?! :poke: ;-) Maybe he doesn't care about job security?!? :read:

How much fun would it be to pass everybody on the track driving the new Z06? :bored:

My idea of fun is watching the arms come out of the window of the new Z06 to give a passing signal to a Mustang!! :lol: :p

NOW THAT'S FUN!!!!! :pepper: :pepper: :pepper:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread