I over-boosted, results of compression test, plz look....

BigmotoXer

Established Member
Cylinder 1= 150
Cylinder 2= 150
Cylinder 3= 122
Cylinder 4= 140
Cylinder 5= 130
Cylinder 6= 120
Cylinder 7= 150
Cylinder 8= 145

What do you think?

Compression test was done correctly on all cylinders= Disconnected fuel pump, ran gas out, disconnected coils, pulled all plugs, held throttle to floor, turned over 6-7 times.

Here's how I over-boosted!

2011 built 5.0, Hellion TT. Was boosting at 8-9 lbs, 93 pump gas, tuned by Lund, (compressor side of turbo connected straight to WG's). I will add that the whole time I've been smoking(could always see it in mirror after boost, no big hard runs just aq 3rd gear pull), well I assumed it was because I only have passenger-side catch can (not enough venting so I knew it had to be blow-by(Valve cover breathers were order and should be in very soon, to rid that problem). Anyway so then, saturday my eBoost Street controller was installed. Set it up per instructions, set my "Over-boost" to 11 lbs(my target boost was 9). Then per instructions, as a starting point, I set my set-point(SP) to 20(0-99 range), as per instructions. Then I set my Gate pressure 5 lbs prior to my target boost, as per instructions. Then set my sensitivity at 20 as a starting point, as per instruction. Then took car for a straight line pull and I heard an unfamiliar sound(like a rumbling?), that was at about 6,000 rpm or so a big puff of black smoke along with a back-fire. I stopped and checked the "Peak boost" on the controller which was 12.8! I felt sick to my stomach and still do.
So I creeped home, on the way the car felt like it was missing. Pulled the plugs and 3 Brisk plugs were fried, the ceramic around the electrode was loose on all 3. I replaced temporarily with my motorcraft plugs(wasn't able to compression test at the time, wanted to see if car would idle properly again). It did idle properly and smoothly, so I reset the eBoost controller way low and took it for a ride, did one data-log and sent it to Jon ll Lund(waiting to hear back to see what he see's). BTW I'm off work today because otw to work this morning I stopped at a redlight and some of that white smoke came creeping right by my window and I just turned around, went home, I wouldn't be able to function properly at work anyway.
Well there's the story. Any questions? any advice?

hitmix300

Established Member
what were your plugs gapped at during the hiccup?

generally on a compression test you'll wanna see all the results within 10% of each other. being that you have one reading at 150 and another at 122 makes me a little concerned.

wolfman311

Established Member
Cylinder 1= 150
Cylinder 2= 150
Cylinder 3= 122
Cylinder 4= 140
Cylinder 5= 130
Cylinder 6= 120
Cylinder 7= 150
Cylinder 8= 145

What do you think?

Compression test was done correctly on all cylinders= Disconnected fuel pump, ran gas out, disconnected coils, pulled all plugs, held throttle to floor, turned over 6-7 times.

Here's how I over-boosted!

2011 built 5.0, Hellion TT. Was boosting at 8-9 lbs, 93 pump gas, tuned by Lund, (compressor side of turbo connected straight to WG's). I will add that the whole time I've been smoking(could always see it in mirror after boost, no big hard runs just aq 3rd gear pull), well I assumed it was because I only have passenger-side catch can (not enough venting so I knew it had to be blow-by(Valve cover breathers were order and should be in very soon, to rid that problem). Anyway so then, saturday my eBoost Street controller was installed. Set it up per instructions, set my "Over-boost" to 11 lbs(my target boost was 9). Then per instructions, as a starting point, I set my set-point(SP) to 20(0-99 range), as per instructions. Then I set my Gate pressure 5 lbs prior to my target boost, as per instructions. Then set my sensitivity at 20 as a starting point, as per instruction. Then took car for a straight line pull and I heard an unfamiliar sound(like a rumbling?), that was at about 6,000 rpm or so a big puff of black smoke along with a back-fire. I stopped and checked the "Peak boost" on the controller which was 12.8! I felt sick to my stomach and still do.
So I creeped home, on the way the car felt like it was missing. Pulled the plugs and 3 Brisk plugs were fried, the ceramic around the electrode was loose on all 3. I replaced temporarily with my motorcraft plugs(wasn't able to compression test at the time, wanted to see if car would idle properly again). It did idle properly and smoothly, so I reset the eBoost controller way low and took it for a ride, did one data-log and sent it to Jon ll Lund(waiting to hear back to see what he see's). BTW I'm off work today because otw to work this morning I stopped at a redlight and some of that white smoke came creeping right by my window and I just turned around, went home, I wouldn't be able to function properly at work anyway.
Well there's the story. Any questions? any advice?

Sounds like those plugs fouling out potentially saved your motor.

BigmotoXer

Established Member
what were your plugs gapped at during the hiccup?

generally on a compression test you'll wanna see all the results within 10% of each other. being that you have one reading at 150 and another at 122 makes me a little concerned.

Gapped at .30
And yes "concerned" is the word of the day for me as well.

hitmix300

Established Member
Gapped at .30
And yes "concerned" is the word of the day for me as well.

i'm sure you meant .030 which is plenty good for the desired boost your describing. i'd get yourself some new plugs and make some more tests to get your controller stable..

what size oil feed are your turbos getting? what weight oil? i had smoke on my precision 6266 turbos when running to large of a oil supply orifice. I currently run .032 oil supply with 5w50 oil with little to no smoke.

BigmotoXer

Established Member
So you took off work today because your car is smoking??

Nice. Um, yep. ..off work today because it's smoking seemingly more than before I over-boosted, at the precise time I fried 3 plugs, and because I just sunk over $10k in car, yep, and yepper brother. Thanks for your help.

BigmotoXer

Established Member
i'm sure you meant .030 which is plenty good for the desired boost your describing. i'd get yourself some new plugs and make some more tests to get your controller stable..

what size oil feed are your turbos getting? what weight oil? i had smoke on my precision 6266 turbos when running to large of a oil supply orifice. I currently run .032 oil supply with 5w50 oil with little to no smoke.

Yes sorry
gapped at .030"

BigmotoXer

Established Member

Now that's not something I'm sure about because I used the oil feeds sent with the TT kit, never thought they'd be too big though. I guess I can check into that. More worried about the compression ratios possibly causing excessive blow-by

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
Cylinders 3 & 6 (and maybe 5) make me nervous.

When i do a compression test, I do all the cylinders, then go back and do any odd ball cylinders again. This rules out carbon dropping off plug tip and getting on a valve seat, tester not screwed in tight, etc.

Also, you can add 1/2tsp or so of motor oil into the plug hole, turn the engine over and repeat the test. If numbers come up, the rings or pistons are toast.

2003mach1

Established Member
Nice. Um, yep. ..off work today because it's smoking seemingly more than before I over-boosted, at the precise time I fried 3 plugs, and because I just sunk over $10k in car, yep, and yepper brother. Thanks for your help.

Man i'm just pickin.....

I had a close call doing the same thing. I finished up a hellion kit on a 15 car, put 4.5lb springs in the gates, set the eboost to 20 (expecting to see 5-6) and it mad 8lbs first wot pull. They should definetly tell you to start lower than 20.

You do the compression test with the motor warm?

5lho

Established Member
My money's on you pushed 1 or more ring lands down and pinched a ring...since the motor is stock internally.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Ford specs are the 25% difference between the highest and lowest readings. So for the 150psi it would be a window of 113psi for the lowest. But you could still have a problem.

debit_free_2010

Established Member
My money's on you pushed 1 or more ring lands down and pinched a ring...since the motor is stock internally.

He did post [Built= Manley rods/piston] However I'm going to agree with you. I had a similar severe detonation event like the OP last summer, lifted the heads and fried 2 plugs.

I replaced the head gaskets and the motor ran ok but it was drinking oil after all that. especially #5, The smoke got seriously worse a month ago after I got on it going to work.

I have Diamond pistons and when I pulled the engine I found broken ring lands on #5. #6 had a pinched land, the rest looked good.

I know it sucks for the OP, but I would not waste anymore time or money on diagnosing it, It needs to be pulled and rebuilt since it was smoking to begin with.

Last edited:

Torchy

Established Member
Hold the phone here OP. I have a lot of experience with these turbos, kit and motor. If I were you the next step I'd do is flow the turbos. I can almost guarantee you are giving the turbos wayyyy to much oil. Here's your next step:

Get motor to full temp, turn motor off, disconnect one drain back and let it hang into a measuring cup (in ounces), make sure cup can hold at least 40-45 ounces (or more), plug drain back on oil pan with AN block off, turn motor on for 30 seconds and catch all oil coming out of drain line, take note of how many ounces came out put everything back together and repeat on other turbo.

First make sure they are the same and second you want to see 12-15ounces out of each turbo. Right now you are probably getting 20-30ounces which is causing the smoke. Put n2o pills in feed lines to get desired amount. I DDed on mine for 3 years (30k miles) at 15ounces and they still saw too much oil. I will be taking that down to 12-13 ounces for future.

Any blueish to the smoke or is it solid white? If solid white then maybe lifted head and needs new head gaskets. If blueish then could still be a ring or oil getting past seals in the turbos. I fought this for years.

Also is the color smoke you saw before the backfire the same color as the smoke you are seeing after the backfire? That'll tell us something too.

Users who are viewing this thread