I need traction! Help!

Quad4_72

Established Member
Ok I will admit I am very ignorant when it comes to tires and rims. Right now, all I do is spin my tires when I try and launch. If I were to go wot the tires just spin through 1st and 2nd gear. I have to really baby the car from a stop just to get traction. So my question is, what kind of tire and rims should I look into getting? This is a daily driver car so straight up drag radials wont do.

Jdm351

Established Member
Good luck with a PD blower getting traction on street tires. Especially with a lowered car. I would suggest a 2:73 gear in the back to try to dumb down the torque. Seriously. I had a centri 2 valve with 3:73s and had no traction on street tires. Let me know if you find a solution.

Vert

Established Member
I run a 295 invo's and the do pretty good. I still have to feather the go pedal and I really doubt you'll find a street tire that stick going wot from a stand still.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
At least run a Nitto 555R in the 305 range... It's a drag radial, but you'll get some life out of it. Not the best tire, but better then standard street tires. Keep your gas tank closer to full, that will help some.

Quad4_72

Established Member
At least run a Nitto 555R in the 305 range... It's a drag radial, but you'll get some life out of it. Not the best tire, but better then standard street tires. Keep your gas tank closer to full, that will help some.

So the nitto 555r, but what about the wheels? Will it be a significant difference from my stock tires and wheels?

Quad4_72

Established Member
And I decided it is time for better tires after my run in with a mercedes s65 Amg. It was from a stoplight and it destroyed me. It was like I wasnt even racing because i couldnt stomp on the gas or else my tires would spin. If we were on the freeway or a dig it wouldnt be an issue. But from a stop no dice.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
What do you have now for rims? 18"? how wide? You'll need at least a 10" if not a 10.5" rim for a 305

Quad4_72

Established Member
What do you have now for rims? 18"? how wide? You'll need at least a 10" if not a 10.5" rim for a 305
I have the 19inch wheels. Not sure how wide :/. Do you have a link to what kind of wheels i would need? Like i said i am very ignorant to wheels and what can actually fit my car

PapaSmurf03

SLO SNK
Established Member
If you have the Brembo wheels they are 9 wide. Widest you would wanna go would be a 285 on stock wheels. No street tire is gonna let you go WOT it from a stop without spinning. 555R drag radial will get you the most tread life I had those on my 03 cobra with just a little over 500 wheel and could WOT in 2nd at 4k rpm and hook and go. If you are serious about traction though go with a 15x10 wheel with a 295/60 or bigger Mickey Thompson.

Quad4_72

Established Member
If you have the Brembo wheels they are 9 wide. Widest you would wanna go would be a 285 on stock wheels. No street tire is gonna let you go WOT it from a stop without spinning. 555R drag radial will get you the most tread life I had those on my 03 cobra with just a little over 500 wheel and could WOT in 2nd at 4k rpm and hook and go. If you are serious about traction though go with a 15x10 wheel with a 295/60 or bigger Mickey Thompson.

Thanks for the info! What brand of wheel should i research? And same size on front as back?

PapaSmurf03

SLO SNK
Established Member
Wheels are more personal preference. If you have brembos you will need at least a 17" front. Once I finally turbo my car I will be doing Weld RT-S 17x7 front and 15x10 rear

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
You could have your rear Brembo's widened to fit a 305... I had my SVT rims widened to 11"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:

throthaduece85

spinning not winning
Established Member
widening wheels is about 200 bucks a piece, so you if you are working with a budget i would do this. Run race stars of 17x7 in the front and 15x8 or 15x10 in the back. Hear me out, 555R tires in the 275/60/15 size will be the right height and only run 150 bucks a piece. A sticky tire on 18-19" wheels are gonna be 300ish a piece, and the race stars can be had from beefcake right now for not much more than the BF pricing. I tried running a 275/45/18 m&h drag radial on my 18x8 stock wheel. 1, they rode like the tires were squares and 2, they wore out in just over 1000 miles. 600 bucks and it lasted just over a month. You could buy the race stars and tires, then sell your brembos when done to help cover the cost. Im currenty on a 15x10 in the rear with a 555r, not the stickiest but with 700rwhp it does ok in 2nd. Long term, 15" tires cost less.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
Not sure if I saw it but do you daily drive it? I'd recommend some thing similar to my set up. It works pretty well when it's warm enough out. Gears would be option 2

Quad4_72

Established Member
Not sure if I saw it but do you daily drive it? I'd recommend some thing similar to my set up. It works pretty well when it's warm enough out. Gears would be option 2

Yes it is a daily driver. I really want something that will last me a bit.

Quad4_72

Established Member
widening wheels is about 200 bucks a piece, so you if you are working with a budget i would do this. Run race stars of 17x7 in the front and 15x8 or 15x10 in the back. Hear me out, 555R tires in the 275/60/15 size will be the right height and only run 150 bucks a piece. A sticky tire on 18-19" wheels are gonna be 300ish a piece, and the race stars can be had from beefcake right now for not much more than the BF pricing. I tried running a 275/45/18 m&h drag radial on my 18x8 stock wheel. 1, they rode like the tires were squares and 2, they wore out in just over 1000 miles. 600 bucks and it lasted just over a month. You could buy the race stars and tires, then sell your brembos when done to help cover the cost. Im currenty on a 15x10 in the rear with a 555r, not the stickiest but with 700rwhp it does ok in 2nd. Long term, 15" tires cost less.

More excellent info. Is the setup you are talking about good for daily driving? I will be hitting up beefcake tonight

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member

If you wore out a set of DR's in a month & only 1000 miles... You did something very wrong. Too narrow of a rim for starters... I'm guessing you must do burn outs at every stop light.

Quad4_72

Established Member
Ok after talking to Terry and reading all of your comments, I think I am gonna go with a 17x7 racestar in the front and a 15x10 in the back. I am not sure if I am gonna go chrome or fork the extra money over for the black yet. Now on to the tires. He was suggesting a 325 Nitto 555r. What do you guys think? What is the best suited tire for those rims when going with a daily driver. And what should I get on the front and from where should I get the tires? Anyone know any deals?

Last edited:

Quad4_72

Established Member
I went with the dark chrome racestars from beefcake. I still need help deciding on the tires for the front and back though :/

Users who are viewing this thread