I need some serious guidance !!!!

GT stanger

Earnin' 'N Burnin'
Established Member
is it worth spending the money on a tune when im just changing my axle back and mid pipe that (utilizes the stock cats). or should i wait and tune after i install my under drive pulleys intake and throttle body. also is it worth it changing my throttle body, oh btw I have a 05 s-197 gt with just some very disappointing flowmaster axle back exhaust. and if any body could give me a ball park idea of how much those mods woulds increase my crank hp. considering it;s starting at 315hp? :read:

please help the only advice im getting, is from a bunch porche, v-dub and rice boy fans.

any input will be helpful :beer:

1hot281

Established Member
315hp? isn't the 05 rated at 300hp? as far as the throttle body, i'd spend the money on some charge motion delete plates... and definitely ditch the Flowmasters...

JLT intake
Steeda or FRPP Charge Motion Delete
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
SLP LoudMouth I Axleback
Dyno tune

and your good to go...

as far as crank horsepower... who cares?! what MATTERS is whats makin it to the GROUND... ricers claim crank numbers... with these mods and a tune, 280 to 300rwhp isn't out of the question...

GT stanger

Earnin' 'N Burnin'
Established Member
:beer: dude im not trying to spread false facts. like i said i need some serious guidance, I was just going by what jeremy clarkston said on Top Gear when he was saying that off the production line the s-197 gt has 315 hp "so ford claims" as for those plates what exactly are they and what do they do? (never heard of them). and the only reason why i asked for crank hp is that every one seems to have their own idea what a mod will give you to the wheels. it seems like you'll never really know what you got till you go and dyno your own car. I just want to get my stang up to or around 400hp crank N/A. any other suggestions?

:??:

ZChaos0026

Established Member
i would say that if you want 400 hp n/a then you need

CAI, full exhaust (longtubes, mid pipe, cat back), heads, cams, then maybe some underdrive pulleys and charge motion delete plates. you could also get the new c&l intake. that'd prolly get you near 400 crank hp if not a lil over.

good luck

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
your car has 300 hp at the crank. period
don't waste your money on a mid pipe for anything other than sound, you won't gain any hp.
don't waste your money on underdrive pulleys, gains are minimal.
the best mods are a cold air intake and custom tune. you will see decent hp and tq gains but most importantly the lag that you have when you floor it will be gone, the torque mangement crap will be fixed.
if you want to go to the next level, get a power adder

silverstang23

Established Member
I see that you live in Atlanta. Call up injected engineering and talk to them. Tell Aric what you would like to acheive *(power wise) and listen to his opinion on how to get there. Injected does great work. My oponion on performance mods would be to install an intake and take your car and get it tuned.

GT stanger

Earnin' 'N Burnin'
Established Member
thanks guys, and could someone tell me what charge motion delete plates are? And would it be smart to get a throttle body with my intake? if so what size

Last edited:

ZChaos0026

Established Member
from what ive read, people seem to be having issues with aftermarket throttle bodies, and to top it off, the gains are minimal. personally i'd stay away from them unless you are making BIG power.

the easiest way to get power out of a s197 is adding a supercharger, a turbo, or nitrous. 400 hp is easily obtainable with any of these.

99GTtony

Rain city stanger
Established Member
do not buy a TB! until someone gets them figured out. its a waste. i have a bbk one, picked up 2 hp, and 1.5 tq....for $300. but my throttle response is a tad better. CAI/tune is a must. I'm running the C&L street/predator combo, picked up 25 with just that alone. find a cat back you like, any gain would be minimal. mid-pipe, I love my bassani modular X. Can run cats or no cats with it.

My next power mod is the frpp hot rod cams, the C&L intake, and plate deletes. should net me 360s at the wheels.....hopefully.

Bullett

Established Member
for an axle back and a mid pipe. u wont really need a custom tune.... get a cnl racer intake, sct programmer mail order or if u have a local shop dyno tune and then the tune is worth it...... charge motion plates are the silver plates u see that adapt the manifold to the heads.... the stocker have butterflies similiar to a tb that open upon WOT... the charge motion plates delete those butterflies and u will NEED a custom tune!!! solid 10 rwhp gain..... the gt500 tb will be the best one to get as all electronics are already adapted but to see real results get cams.. i have one for sale if u are interested.. feel free to ask me questions man... i know a wee bit on these cars...not the expert by any means but i know enough

Mustang Performance Parts & Upgrades by Brenspeed
RAD Mustangs Performance Parts Shop (rich is the shit, call and he'll give u advice n tell him black havok sent ya)

Thump_rrr

Established Member
Here are my N/A experiences on my 05 S197
Bone stock 13.65
C&L Intake and 93 octane tune 13.25
BFG Drag Radials 12.95
Steeda U/D Pullies 12.85
JBA Longtube headers and catted H-Pipe 12.69
4.10 gears 12.47

I never retuned between mods.
I was installing the Saleen Blower so I skipped the charge motion plates otherwise I would have installed them and had a custome tune done.

Do NOT under any circumstances put an aftermarket throttle body on your car.

The stock one is good for close to 500rwhp. You can then upgrade to the GT500 without giving up any reliability.

Users who are viewing this thread