I need some help/advice ..

ACSVT

1st Ford
Established Member
Quick re-cap. Last Thursday the truck shot the 2nd plug back on the passengers side. I'm not comfortable timeserting while the head is still on the motor, and I'd really be more comfortable with timeserting all 8 plug holes. With that being said the heads are coming off.

What I can't get a clear answer on despite the hours of reading here, nloc, etc I do not know what is general maintenance when I have the heads off the truck. I want to do a cammed setup, but funds simply don't allow for it right now. My truck has right at 67k on it, and I need to know what all I need to look at to replace when I have the truck tore down this far. I am really dreading this whole ordeal. I will have a couple good friends who are familiar with modulars and working on the internals. I have heard some people say new guides, then some say don't worry about it, new valves, then not new valves. What do you recommend me replace/upgrade while the heads are off the truck? I am going to port them at minimum I just am not sure if I need to replace valve springs, valves, guides, oil pump, etc.

Just would like some advice and clarification on a few things.

white01

T76GTS Power
Established Member
I would have the heads checked out by a machine shop. I would do valve springs because they do loose seat pressure. Maybe a valve job and new guides if needed. If you can afford it, install cams when its torn apart.

Rich

Bird

Old and tired............
Established Member
I personally would just 'sert the blown plug (real easy to do) and then start saving / working toward a built motor with the mods you've listed and the bottom end to match. What you're planning is great, but it'll tend to push you to get more power and eventually, you'll join the blown motor club which could hurt the parts you're talking about putting in now - then you're out even more money.

We've seen it happen - time and time again.

Besides, it's WAAAAYYYYY easier to do all that on the engine stand - especially timing the cams.

Bird

Last edited:

built97cobra

It's stock
Established Member
Since your going to have the heads off i would suggest pulling the intake apart and cleaning out the intercooler as well... great vids on youtube just look up "how to clean HD intercooler" or something along those lines... clean intercooler pump, plugs would also be a good idea, new supercharger oil... the list goes on of the things i would do while i was at it.

Users who are viewing this thread