I need some advice

harsh5.0gt

Established Member
I have a 1991 Mustang GT thats having some tranny problems. It seems like when its cold its worse. Its getting really hard to put into first, and put it into 3rd without a little chrip of grinding. When I put the clutch pedal to the floor it gets better, no grinding. Do cables stretch? or do i need a new clutch?

Neverlift

scotchy scotch scotch
Established Member
Is it a stock T-5?
How many miles on it??
Have you shifted the hell out of it??? Be Honest!

Sounds like syncros. Very common weak point in T-5s.
Could be clutch, but the car would jerk/creep forward or even stall if the clutch wasn't fully disengaging when you put it in gear. Also, if it were a clutch/throwout bearing problem it would happen with all gears, not just 1st and 3rd. hope this helps..

harsh5.0gt

Established Member
Neverlift said:
Is it a stock T-5? Yes
How many miles on it?? 86k
Have you shifted the hell out of it??? Be Honest! ya on stock shifter...not good

Sounds like syncros. Very common weak point in T-5s.
Could be clutch, but the car would jerk/creep forward or even stall if the clutch wasn't fully disengaging when you put it in gear. Also, if it were a clutch/throwout bearing problem it would happen with all gears, not just 1st and 3rd. hope this helps..

the car does creep and clunks into 1st.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
time to redo some things my man. my '87 had a slightly bad tranny when i bought it--would grind on quick 1-2 shifts when it was cold out. so that problem sounds like its your synchro gears.

if the clutch is grabing right at the floor, try to put your foot under the clutch pedal and pull up on it to adjust the clutch (assuming your clutch, and clutch cable are stock). if it doesn't adjust, it means your cable is stretched out, a common problem with these older cars.

if i were you, i would yank the transmission and get a rebuild ($600-$750), i would put a new clutch cable with an adjustable quadrant, and firewall adjuster ($100), and a new clutch/pilot bearing/rear main oil seal ($200). also, resurface your flywheel, or buy a new one ($25-100). it seems like a lot to do, but it will solve ALL of your problems. or you could limp the car along until you can afford to do all of it--i would not half-ass this job, the labor is such that you need to do everything at once (it doesn't make sense to fix the tranny and not put a new clutch in).

hope this helps

harsh5.0gt

Established Member
kirks5oh said:
time to redo some things my man. my '87 had a slightly bad tranny when i bought it--would grind on quick 1-2 shifts when it was cold out. so that problem sounds like its your synchro gears.

if the clutch is grabing right at the floor, try to put your foot under the clutch pedal and pull up on it to adjust the clutch (assuming your clutch, and clutch cable are stock). if it doesn't adjust, it means your cable is stretched out, a common problem with these older cars.

if i were you, i would yank the transmission and get a rebuild ($600-$750), i would put a new clutch cable with an adjustable quadrant, and firewall adjuster ($100), and a new clutch/pilot bearing/rear main oil seal ($200). also, resurface your flywheel, or buy a new one ($25-100). it seems like a lot to do, but it will solve ALL of your problems. or you could limp the car along until you can afford to do all of it--i would not half-ass this job, the labor is such that you need to do everything at once (it doesn't make sense to fix the tranny and not put a new clutch in).

hope this helps

I can tell that the cable is deffinatly stretched. It only has 86K so that cable didnt last long at all. I pull up but it always goes back. Thanks for the advice Kirk! It sounds like I just need to find a local shop to take a look at it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread