i need of some advice on cooling issues

silver93

Established Member
ok guys i bought a fox body coupe with a 03 cobra motor in it. car i stock beside upper pully and intake. i got the car home and made a pull on it then went to the store to grab a drink. in the store i notice it was pushing water out the degas as if it was running hot. i ran killed the car and notice the gauge on cluster was reading in the middle of normal. i got it home burp the system and drove the car around a lil got home and it pushed very lil this time. so went ahead and order the reicshe 170 thermostat, canton degas tank, new minomotor 2 core radiator, new cap and a mechanical auto meter temp gauge. why waiting on parts to arrived i did a block test on the car to check for combustion gasses in the coolant. that checked out good also no water in the oil. so i don't think i have a head gas problem. well i got the parts in installed everything and burp the system just like reicshe recommends online. the car is no longer puking water but the temp got up over 210 while driving it. the car is tuned with a set x2 tuner with custom tune. the tuner want allow me to change the temp for the fan to come on but the fan is running. seems to be running the same speed all the time. even when the a/c is on. also it was about 85 degrees out this evening when i went take a cruise. I'm going to let the car sit over night and check the coolant in the morning. i just feel the car should be running cooler than that. also i mounted the temp sensor for the temp gauge it the driver side of the block by the rear freeze plug there is also a block plug i removed and installed it there. its about 6inch from the exhaust. do y'all think i could be getting a false reading being the sensor is that close to the exhaust. i was just hoping y'all could give me some input on something else to do or check to get the car running cooler than that or is that just what it is gonna run? and is 210-215 considered hot on these engines.

MG0h3

Established Member
The fan has two speeds so if it's only running at one speed that needs to be checked.

I'd probably try and mount the sensor up front/top somewhere.

Are you sure you have the terminator or equivalent radiator and fan?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

silver93

Established Member
The fan has two speeds so if it's only running at one speed that needs to be checked.

the radiator i bought is a mishimoto 2 core radiator for the 99-04 cars it is bigger than the radiator i took out the car for sure. as far as the fan i can't say its factory stock but it plugs into the factory harness on the car. i might try to mount it in the bunge were you burp it at. you have any other places up top you would recommend putting the sensor?

nxhappy

Established Member
sounds like you still have air in the system. At idle in town, sometimes you will see 210-220 if it's HOT outside. On the highway you should see way under that.

silver93

Established Member
sounds like you still have air in the system. At idle in town, sometimes you will see 210-220 if it's HOT outside. On the highway you should see way under that.
I'm going to burp the system again in the morning. but i was thinking the same thing that it should be running cooler when driving. excpecially when its about 85 degrees outside in the evening

DropSVT

Established Member

+1 if your fans high speed isn't working that can cause slight overheating if it's happening only in stop and go conditions. Even cruising on a hot day with a fan not pulling the correct amount mixed with what sounds like may not be a big enough radiator could cause that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

mark23svt

Established Member
I've had a similar issue to yours. I bought a new fan just incase and burped the system. I honestly think it was more the air in system then fan for me. I'm still burping system, it's been a total of 4x and still feel like it can burped a little more.

silver93

Established Member
I'm starting to believe that is a lot of the problem. i have burped it a few times today. the crazy thing is i mounted the sensor for the mechanical auto meter temp gauge on the driverside of the block near the rear freeze plug. the gauge is reading around 210 but the fan cycles off and on but the gauge never moves from around 210 degrees. i thinking i could be getting a false reading or hotter reading being it is mounted in the back of the block near #8 cylinder. i believe someone makes a fitting to screw into were to top the coolant off in the crossover pipe. i might try to find it and order it and mount it there and see if i get a different reading. the car is no longer puking coolant tho. i have been driving it

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
210 isn't that hot, if it is hot outside. Mine runs 230+ all summer, a/c blowing cold.
Use a infrared temp gun to check your gauges.

Users who are viewing this thread