I need more torque

MD COBRA

Established Member
I had a dyno tune on 9-13. A guy with a 2003 Cobra Vert told me about this website. His car was very impressive. As you can see I'm lacking some torque. If I went to a catted H-pipe would I gain any torque back. I was thinking pullies and gears. Any other ideas. :shrug:

AV8R

RiceCooker
Established Member
Originally posted by MD COBRA
I had a dyno tune on 9-13. A guy with a 2003 Cobra Vert told me about this website. His car was very impressive. As you can see I'm lacking some torque. If I went to a catted H-pipe would I gain any torque back. I was thinking pullies and gears. Any other ideas. :shrug:

A 2002 Lighting would solve all you problems. :p

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
I'm sure going to a catted H would get a littel TQ back. Yes gears will get you in the powerband quicker, not really give you any torque.

Pullies, Timing adjusters, Aluminum driveshaft, aluminum flywheel would all be good for adding some more HP and TQ into the car.

drewkeen

SVT
Established Member
why lose hp for torque?
not trying to start anything here but hp is what matters after about 25-30mph, and yu have plenty of torque to get you there. if you don't believe this, look at ferrari's and lamborghini's horsepower and torque ratings, they make a lot more hp than torque...i say get you some more hp form that motor if you want to do anything and those numbers arent bad.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Their cam profiles are matched to the exhaust setup. Their motors typically displace a good bit more than the 4.6 Their motors are designed to turn much more RPM than ours, which is another way to make HP. Our Cobras make peak HP at 6800. If you go to far with the exhaust on a stock cam car, it moves the powerband out of the cam's operating profile. Also a huge spike for a powerband is less effective than a nice wide powerband. Basicly you want the powerband as flat as possible, meaning the car makes good power throughout the entire rev range.

HP is good for MPH, TQ is best for ET. Point in case, my 13.62 @ 100 in a stock GT that is only rated a 260HP but 300TQ (which were my actual rear wheel numbers.) Most 2001 Cobras have dyno'd around 280HP and 280TQ to the wheels. That explains why I'm almost as quick, but not near as fast. They usually run 13.5 ish @ 103. 3MPH is alot in the ¼.

Large exhaust is not always a good thing on small displacement motors. You have to match the flow of the exhaust with the cam's power potential curve. Also with the intake and head flow capabilities. It won't do any good to have a completely open exhaust on a stock 4.6, there isn't enough intake flow to balance out. However, a power adder, such as superchargers, do benefit a good bit from the improved exhaust flow.

Last edited:

Greg@SVTOA

A.K.A Greg@GLD
Established Member
Originally posted by drewkeen
why lose hp for torque?
not trying to start anything here but hp is what matters after about 25-30mph, and yu have plenty of torque to get you there. if you don't believe this, look at ferrari's and lamborghini's horsepower and torque ratings, they make a lot more hp than torque...i say get you some more hp form that motor if you want to do anything and those numbers arent bad.

Hmm... for the sake of discussion, (no flames, we're just having a DISCUSSION.)
The examples you cited are light cars. Lots of aluminum and carbon fiber go into those types of cars. An SN95 Mustang is a heavy pig. Torque is what gets them to ET well or get moving, in my own experience. Lighter cars will ET with HP, heavier cars need the torque to propel them down the track, the torque factor is going to matter quite a bit beyond 30 MPH when we are talking about heavy car.

Like I said, no flames intended, just discussion...

drewkeen

SVT
Established Member
actually, many of those exotics are around 4000lbs, i know nearly all of the awd ones are making them much heavier than our stangs.

MD COBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by JohnnyReb
MD Cobra,

Gears should be the very first mod on a DOHC. Get 4.30's.

no thanks, I drive 71 miles 1 way to work. To much stop and go traffic. :nono:

stricky

Established Member
Originally posted by MD COBRA
no thanks, I drive 71 miles 1 way to work. To much stop and go traffic. :nono:

Well your complaint was that you needed more torque. Gears will get you the torque multiplication you desire. I have 4.10's and they are fine for the street. As for stop and go traffic they are actually better than the stock gears. Less clutch slippage to get going and you can lope along quite nicely in 1st if the traffic is really heavy.

Your car is about average in the torque dept. with those mods BTW.

SVTdubs

have you seen my baseball
Established Member
4.30 gears are aweome on the mod motors, 4.10 for 5.0's!
How big is your mass air, maybe it's bringing in too much air and its leaving the car too soon. The cats should help this.
It should help a/f also if it was off a little.

Users who are viewing this thread