I need input from all you owners

ayo232

Established Member
I've been low key searching for a Lightning for a few days now after I got the okay from teh woman (she digs the truck). Anyways, before I get too into my search... can you owners list some pros and cons of this vehicle? Any known issues that happen frequently?

I'm aware of the gas mileage defect from the factory :lol:

Thanks in advance :beer:

MaLLo_SVT_150

Established Member
Pros: Gets stares from everyone
Fun to drive
lovely sound from the s/c
etc. people will tell you more

Cons: Really none to me except it weighs a lot
could have been made faster from factory
Gas as you know
people will tell you the cons of their experiences

But my L is my daily driver to work and school everyday so i cant really complain about gas because i just have to deal with it

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
99-00s made 360 BHP/440 BTQ
01-04s made 380 BHP/450 BTQ
There are a few minor differences over the years but they are more or less cosmetic.

99-00s suffered from an intercooler core prone to leaking. This is no longer corrected by Ford free of charge.

99-02s (and early 03s) had four threads holding the spark plugs in whereas the later 03s and 04s came with eight thread heads. The four thread heads were more prone to "launching" plugs.

All years fall under a cruise control recall. If you buy one be sure to have the recall fixed so it doesn't catch fire.

Lightnings are easily modded and there is nothing better than knowing that your 4,700 lb truck can compete with most other muscle/sport cars (within reason).

The OEM rods are the weak link in a Lightning regardless of the year.

ayo232

Established Member
Very good list so far guys, I appreciate it.

Can anyone go into detail on the cosmetic differences? I only really notice the height difference?

Also, I know the "official" gas mileage of the trucks, but what do YOU get?

bird_jenkins8

The Demon
Established Member
Grilles, headlights, taillights, side mirrors, and wheels are the most noticeable differences over the 5 years from a cosmetic aspect.........

wrxman60

Premiere Wheelman
Established Member
There are also a few little things that are different between the 03-04 to the rest of the years. The key pad on the drivers-side door latch (to unlock the truck without the key), a little compartment in the dash to the right of the steering column and instead of the 6 disc cd changer behind the passenger seat, they have the 6 disc in dash.

LSUstang05

Established Member
99-00 had the stock F-150 tail lights of that year. 01-04 had the clear head lights, corners, tail lights, and the LED third brake light. 03-04 also had the payload increased so they sit about an inch higher than 99-02's. Also, there were minor, but almost not even worth mentioning, electrical differences from 99-00 and the 01-04 year trucks (only relevant if you want to do the fog light mod...ask me how I know). 99-00 had the same wheels, 01-02 had different wheels than previous years, and 03-04 had, yet again, different wheels than the previous 4 years. I also think 99-00 had 3.55's and 01-04 had 3.73's

As far as MPG goes, I am modded (4# lower, long tubes, ported blower, FTVB, stock 3.55's) and I get around 10.8 when it's nice outside and I'm always in the gas, to 12.5 when I'm easy and nice (in the city). On the highway, I get around 15.5@78mph

Last edited:

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
I think pretty every con has been mentioned so I will add to the pro list.

Surprises the hell out of anyone that thinks its just a truck.

You get looks and comments all of the time.

There aren't many on the road (at least around here).

Oh God the whine with a CAI and a pulley. I think the louder it whines the bigger my smile gets.

I couldn't be happier driving mine every day. I love it.

Last edited:

04SVT-L

Established Member
cant go wrong with a lightning. as long as u dont need a real "truck" lol its basically a siick mustang with a pickup truck body. ha the only con is it aint really a work truck. but thats why i have my 01 superduty

ayo232

Established Member
thanks for all the help guys. now, i just need to find one that fits my criteria. haha I'm in no immediate rush though. just looking for an unmolested low mileage with little to no modifications... we'll see... lol

I just miss my old truck (slow Ranger) and want to get another truck... so might as well get the supercharged one ;)

haybale

Don't upset Little Man!!!
Established Member
you will be happy in an L, just find someone near you to drive one!!!

here are a few more dif in the years!!

99-00 have an 80mm MAF vs 01-04 have an 90mm MAF.

most 00-04 have the overhead console.

99 has 'U' and 'L' for the door lock switch vs the newer L's have the padlock 'locked' and 'unlocked' ( minor but still different)

99-00 have 3in steel DS vs 01-04 have 5in alum DS

early 99's have 12mm wheel studs vs newer 99-04 have 14mm wheel studs

99-00 SC bolt pattern vs the 01-04 are not the same, the 3.4 whip only is sold in 01-04 bolt pattern, the 2.3 KB can be bolted either way, the 2.3 whip can be purchased either way, fyi

i'd recommend 03-04, but depends what you find and how much $$$

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
I would also recommend an 03-04, but I couldn't find a truck with low enough miles in my price range. I will just have to be extra careful with my spark plugs.

04mellowyellow

Ford Nut
Established Member
thanks for all the help guys. now, i just need to find one that fits my criteria. haha I'm in no immediate rush though. just looking for an unmolested low mileage with little to no modifications... we'll see... lol

I just miss my old truck (slow Ranger) and want to get another truck... so might as well get the supercharged one ;)

You might as well find a low mileage modded L. It won't be long before you decide to do the upgrades.:rockon:

RobFresh2SVTs

Established Member
Very good list so far guys, I appreciate it.

Can anyone go into detail on the cosmetic differences? I only really notice the height difference?

Also, I know the "official" gas mileage of the trucks, but what do YOU get?

I get between 13 -16 overall use combo highway and city

MaLLo_SVT_150

Established Member
I Average Around 13 to 16 Everyday and that is city for going to school and work everyday, plus with the extra big wheels and i have no tuner to kinda help the gas mileage..so the gas isn't that bad, but it could be better..good luck on finding that lucky L

Users who are viewing this thread