I need help with possible smoking problems under hood

BlownVenom01

Boost > NA
Established Member
So a while back (last fall) I noticed my engine was showing white wispy light smoke coming from the passenger hood vent and headlight. Not significant, it disappeared to nothing about 6-8 inches from leaving the car, but still smoke. It only did this noticeably 2 times before I stored it.

Lately I noticed it's been getting worse though. It's noticeable at night with the headlights on and sometimes during the day. I figured out that considerable amount of the still LIGHT smoke coming from the passenger side of the engine, seemingly coming from the firewall area near the a/c junk.

My buddy and I hypothesized a heater core line leaking. Anything else in that general 5" x 5" corner of the engine bay that would smoke light that? A coolant smell is also noticeable from the heat, but might just be the engine smoke being sucked into the vent system

01vert

Established Member
Engine (oil) smoke does not smell like coolant. Chances are you have a coolant leak. have you checked the crossover to see if you have lost coolant? Does the smoke smell of coolant when you can get near it?

Did you at any point pull the engine or raise it up? There is a coolant line that goes to the heater core that can get a pinhole in it from a protrusion above it near the firewall if the engine is raised. Pretty common problem with pulled motors.

BlownVenom01

Boost > NA
Established Member
Engine (oil) smoke does not smell like coolant. Chances are you have a coolant leak. have you checked the crossover to see if you have lost coolant? Does the smoke smell of coolant when you can get near it?

Did you at any point pull the engine or raise it up? There is a coolant line that goes to the heater core that can get a pinhole in it from a protrusion above it near the firewall if the engine is raised. Pretty common problem with pulled motors.

Ya i knew it was coolant sorry if I didn't specify I wrote this late last night. I personally have never pulled it but I will investigate that :D I haven't checked the crossover though I just checked the expansion tank

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Sounds like a heater hose pinhole to me. On some of the early cars years ago, there was actually a protruding screw back in that area that was cutting hoses. Do a search and see if you can find any threads on it.

Users who are viewing this thread