i need help choosing a laptop

BossHogg

Established Member
So i want a new laptop and i have a little extra money so i finally can afford one. Heres my dilemma i really want a Mac Book the one with a 13.3 inch screen, but for $200 less i can get a pc based laptop that has double the ram and double the hard drive space. Whats everyones opinion on what i should get

$1000 max and ill pretty much just use it for jacking around on the internet and the occasion movie and music download

S7OCK_03

WHIPPLED
Established Member
I would get the PC based on your post. i.e. cheaper, better specs, and if you're going to use it to just mess around with I wouldnt spend anymore than i had to. I'm sure the mac fanboys will jump in here though and give you the Steve Jobs explanation on why to get a mac though.

hoamskilet

Established Member
I picked up an Acer like 3 or so years ago. It was on the cheaper end of laptops pricewise, but had as much if not more hardware than the "name brand" laptops. Has worked great for me.

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
I just picked up a HP G60-125NR a few weeks ago. Actually, I am on it now. So far so good. My only major complaint is the glossy screen, a bit of reflections from room lighting.
3gb ram, hard drive over 200gb all for under $600.

ff500

Established Member
I've got the dell xps 1530, dell's offering a 30% off coupon right now, just do a dell coupon search.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
in before the apple fanboys.

anyway are you going to be doing anything special on this thing? or just using it for internet/word processing?

if you just want a basic laptop you won't need to spend more than $500 man. hit up Newegg and check for deals

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
I got a MacBook Air when I was looking to get a laptop and have been more than happy with it. The new aluminum macbooks are great, and you can pick up the last model for pretty cheap. Don't worry about the RAM, you need significantly less RAM to run Leopard efficiently than Vista, and snow leopard is looking to pare down system usage of RAM even more. 2GB is plenty, but you can always upgrade later if you want. Don't buy RAM from Apple when configuring yours if you buy online, it's outrageous and you can buy it from other sources for way cheaper if you want. The only way you are going to need more RAM is if you are doing really intensive work - such as professional movie and photo editing and I'm doubting that you are going to be making feature length movies in HD from the sounds of it. Apple hard drive upgrades are dirt cheap though.

You can get a black macbook for $1099 or a from MacMall. http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?Redir=1&description=Apple%2D13%2E3%22+MacBook+Intel+Core+2+Duo+2%2E4GHz%2C+2GB%2C+250GB%2C+SuperDrive+%2D+Black%2DMacBook&dpno=7404924

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread