I need an education on cams and ported heads..

Hunter6

Established Member
-Are there any companies that offer aftermarket cams for the 03 Cobra's?

-What kind of HP gains can/will they give?

-Cost?

-How about porting the heads? Gains? Cost?

Thanks for the help!

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
JDM sells crower cams. 960 for the part, probably 1500 for the labor if you can't do it yourself. It's a mojor undertaking to get the cams out. Blower off....etc... I think they say about 30 hp. So it's your call, 30 hp for 2500 bucks?? Is it worth it?? I'd like to do them someday but that's alot of dough. As far as porting the heads, the time to do it would be during the cam swap since they are off already. most folks charge somewhere around 800-1000 to port heads without taking them off or re-installing them. Alot of people say our heads flow well already. To my knowledge, nobody has ported them yet, or at least discussed it. I would like some more info too as it's definately something I will do some day.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Yeah, he has had some awesome gains. I wonder what an eaton car can expect though. I know JDM is close to 600 rwhp with their eaton 03. Just alot of dough i guess.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
AS far as porting natural asperated it works well because you can think of it as pulling air threw and dont need obstructions. With the supercharger you have a positive air PSI. Same rules dont really apply, they do but just not to the extent that non supercharged car does.

This was way over simplified. But maybe money well spent other places. Before I would spend it in porting I would pull the short bock and change the pistons.

Users who are viewing this thread