I need advice on cylinder heads please!!

indycobra

Established Member
I have an 03 Cobra manufactured in 7/02 so as you all know it has the "old" heads on it. Now it smokes everytime I start it up after sitting more that an hour (valve stem seals no dobt) and it drives me crazy. Getting my heads replaced under warranty is not an option because my warranty is expired so I am on my own. I got a price from a parts dealer on here of $1240 for a new set of "updated" heads but I want to be sure I am not wasting my time and money. I have read countless threads about people having problems with the new heads as well as the old so I am lost about what to do.
Can anyone tell me if I would be better off having my "old" heads reworked, or shelling out $1240 dollars on the "updated" heads. Are there better valves, seals, springs etc... out there that would fix the problem with my old heads or do the new "updated" heads really have some new features that would be worth my money to get. I know this topic has been beat to death at least regarding "the tick" but I really cant find any info on people that have reworked there own heads with success. In the mean time the car will just sit in my garage because I refuse to drive it anywhere smoking like that. Thanks for all the help :beer:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Is the $1240 just for one head...if not go for it, that is better than half price if it is for both heads.

-Jeff

The brand new heads are way better than any that came on our cars or were avl. for replacement under warranty...These new heads have improved cooling in them and more threads on the plug...So they will last longer..Get these heads and you will not be disapointed!
New head part numbers:
2C5Z-6049-CAB......PASS.
2C5Z-6049-BAB......DRIVER

indycobra

Established Member
adrenaline rush said:
Since you have to get new heads, why not get the FRP Heads and Cams?
Well that is news to me. I thought there was only one choice for heads, the stock ones. Are the FRP heads an aftermarket version? I didnt know there was an aftermarket version of cylinder head out for the 03 Cobra. That doesnt stand for Ford racing products does it? Thanks for the reply.

indycobra

Established Member
03soniccobra01 said:
The brand new heads are way better than any that came on our cars or were avl. for replacement under warranty...These new heads have improved cooling in them and more threads on the plug...So they will last longer..Get these heads and you will not be disapointed!
New head part numbers:
2C5Z-6049-CAB......PASS.
2C5Z-6049-BAB......DRIVER
Thats what I wanted to hear!! Thank you very much. I assume im going to have to take the engine out to replace these heads. How difficult is the job? Ive built and pulled a half dozen 5.0 motors and they are cake but this thing looks to be a whole new animal. Id really like to do it myself, im kind of a do it your-self-er. Thanks again for the reply!! :beer:

adrenaline rush

Established Member
The Ford Racing Part numbers for the heads are M-6050-T46 and M-6049-T46. They're $795 bucks each. Combined with the FRP High Cams M-6550 ($1600), you could get an extra 60hp.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I would just use the newest 04 cobra heads. They will flow better than the FRP heads. Those are tuned to use the FRPP upper and lower intake too. They are not designed with Forced induction in mind. That is where the 60 HP comes from. That is over a stock 01 cobra's output. If you use those heads and the FRPP intake system you can see enine gains of about 60 hp.

-Jeff

WDW MKR

Established Member
adrenaline rush said:
The Ford Racing Part numbers for the heads are M-6050-T46 and M-6049-T46. They're $795 bucks each. Combined with the FRP High Cams M-6550 ($1600), you could get an extra 60hp.

As previously mentioned, the FRPP FR500 heads and cams are for NA applications. The 03/04 heads are the third best head for forced induction, behind the Ford GT and 2000 Cobra R heads. If you want cams, go with a blower grind from Crower. Most will tell you that the cost is not worth the gain. I went ahead and got them for my build.

adrenaline rush

Established Member
WDW MKR said:
As previously mentioned, the FRPP FR500 heads and cams are for NA applications. The 03/04 heads are the third best head for forced induction, behind the Ford GT and 2000 Cobra R heads. If you want cams, go with a blower grind from Crower. Most will tell you that the cost is not worth the gain. I went ahead and got them for my build.

What made you get those instead of the ones from steeda?

WDW MKR

Established Member
For one, I can't stand Steeda. Aside from that, why not purchase cams from an actual cam manufacturer like Crower or Comp? Lethal had a GP going at the time that I bought them.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
what i cant figure out, is that the cost not being worth the gain. if it takes away a limit, thats worth it. have we reached the limit of the stock cams yet? how much gain is there to be found with cams? with head porting? with both? saying i already have the stuff apart and in my lap...that offsets much of the cost. im looking for an increased midrange punch without simply adding more boost. thinking as a final combo, 2.93, stage 3, 4# lower, with stage 2 cams, mild porting on the heads, and a kickass valve job.

Users who are viewing this thread