I need a little tech about clutch/transmissions.

kaos

Established Member
I've read howstuffworks.com and I'm understanding things a little better.

So let's say you have a clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster installed with a stock cable. What would be the lesser of two evils? If you were to adjust it to tight and there was constant pressure on the TOB and I'm guessing you will wear out your clutch prematurely. Or if you had too much slack and you would grind gears. I'm thinking grinding the gears is inside the transmission and you would wear out the transmission that way. So if I'm correct in my assumption would it be better to have it too tight and wear out the clutch instead since it's cheaper than a transmission to replace?

One more, a friend of mine threw out the idea that maybe there is a sweet spot when depressing the clutch. So maybe if you have it set too tight and you press the clutch all the way down it will exhibit symptoms like it's grinding. I've read on hear that people with adjusters say that the clutch engages higher and that they don't have to press the clutch in to the floor. Well what happens if you do press the clutch to the floor?

Thanks.

jimh

Established Member
I always lean on the side of too loose. It's actually hard to adjust it so bad that it won't disengage enough to shift. More than likely it will just grab a little closer to the floor. If you try to adjust it too high and the throwout bearing is always touching the pressure plate you will wear out the throwout bearing. If you adjust it so tight that the cluctch can't fully engage it will slip, but it's hard to get ti that bad. I don't thing the thorwout bearing would last very long like that. It's not made for a constant load at speed. I think it would probably fail rather quickly.

If you've never done one it's much easier than you think. Just do it. One of the first things I learned how to do on a car was adjust a clutch. You won't make it too loose either. There's plenty of adjustment availible. Believe me you'll see it's VERY simple.

jim

kaos

Established Member
Thanks. I actually have one, but I can't seem to find the sweet spot. I'm starting to think it might have to do with the Redline in there. The first day I had Redline D4 in there and it was good, but the next day I put in the quadrant and adjuster and it hasn't been as good since. I just read a thread about not using Redline direct from Tremec. I'm going back to stock fluid to try it out.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
The trans fluid has no effect on how the clutch functions, if that is what you're referring to above.

All that is necessary is that the TOB is off the fingers of the pressure plate, just a little. Where the pedal ends up is just a function of the geometry of the linkage.
If you can't tell by how the pedal feels, if there is enough freeplay, pull the inspection cover off of the side of the bellhousing and look at the TOB. It should be back away from the fingers of the PP enough so that you can stick a long screwdriver in there and turn the TOB easily.

Dana

Users who are viewing this thread