I love my new gears. 4.30's. (Very longwinded if you are not looking for gears.)

kaos

Established Member
I got my gears installed at X2C Motorsports today and I was nervouse and worried that I might regret getting them and all that. My first hour of driving which consisted on traffic and putting around were very good. At first it didn't feel like I had gears, because I wasn't really paying attention to how it felt. I did notice that overall the car just felt better and I downshifted less. Then I started to notice that it does rev quicker and I started to like it more and more. I took off a couple of time in 2nd and it felt good.

So then I drove home and about an hour into my drive I got to the part in the freeway where I can cruise at 80 and I was totally nervous at that point. I have practiced many times driving for chunks at a time at 3000 rpms, but I had a way out. Not this time though. I would not have an extra gear to go to. So I was at 80 and I'm talking to myself and saying get used to it or die. After about 5 minutes my fears were washed away. Especially when I had to slow down to about 65. I quickly accelerated back up to 80 and realized how much nicer that was. Not only that I get to hear my exhaust more now.

Update: I put in 120 miles of freeway driving this weekend and I'm very comfortable with the gears. All this was cruising at about 80 mph. Overall it's not that different than the 3.73's I had. I mean the only time you will notice that you have gears is beside accelerating quicker is the higher rpms on the freeway. What I'm trying to say is just get them. I feared the gear big time. It's the first thing I heard about doing to my car, but I was scared. Also, if you can't decide between 4.10 or 4.30's, get the 4.30's. There's not too much a difference between.

A little history. I bought my car with 3.73's already. This is a daily driver with a alot of highway miles. I drive a ton. In the first year I put on 20,000 miles, but now I'm averaging a little over 1000. I also take it to the strip and an occasional auto-x. I'll see if the gears hurt me at an autox.

RioRed4v

Established Member
congrats on the new gears.

My buddy just got some 4.30's but in his 98 also. Went for a ride in it, and they defintiley feel nice. Alot better than my 3.27's...lol.

Gonna be ordering up a set of 4.30's here pretty soon me thinks.

BadAzztt

Established Member
I just got my 4.30's installed about three weeks ago and I must say it makes the car feel like it should have from the factory. Much more respectable, you actually have to give it less gas to eccelerate in every gear. I just drove it 2100 miles across country at an average of 80 mph and had absolutely no problems with them. I would recomend them to anyone consideing them!

nitestalker1982

Raider Nation Member
Established Member
omslaw, how much was the install at x2c, and where did you purchase your gears? and have you gone to xmp perf. recently (last 4 months)? I think ive seen you and your car there.

Wraith

Established Member
Congrats on the new 4.30's. I had them, but now have 4.10's. When I get the money again, I think I will go back to 4.30's, or maybe even 4.56's. Enjoy!!!:lol:

RioRed4v

Established Member
Originally posted by BadAzztt
I just got my 4.30's installed about three weeks ago and I must say it makes the car feel like it should have from the factory. Much more respectable, you actually have to give it less gas to eccelerate in every gear. I just drove it 2100 miles across country at an average of 80 mph and had absolutely no problems with them. I would recomend them to anyone consideing them!

what kinda gas mileage did you get?

kaos

Established Member
Originally posted by nitestalker1982
omslaw, how much was the install at x2c, and where did you purchase your gears? and have you gone to xmp perf. recently (last 4 months)? I think ive seen you and your car there.

Yeah I've been to xmp a couple of times in the past four months.

I went to X2C because they were cheaper than any other place I tried and Manny the gear person has been doing gears for a while now. I got the gears from them too. They are ford racing. I haven't heard any gear whine yet, but I don't know if it's something that develops with time or is present right off the bat. I think it's best to call them and ask them how much for gears. http://www.x2cmotorsports.com/index.shtml But I don't think you will be disappointed.

kaos

Established Member
And thanks everybody else. I just hope somebody who is deciding on gears, but is afraid will read my post and will go ahead and get them.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Good to here you like them. I also went with the 4.30s and its been killing me to have mine in the basement now for 2 weeks. My mechanic told me hopefully next weekend. I did have a quick question. He mentioned a different cross pin for the diff due to the thick 4.30 gear. I also have the FMS ring/pinion and wondered if its in there or do I need to buy? Anyone know? -James

RioRed4v

Established Member
Originally posted by biminiLX
Good to here you like them. I also went with the 4.30s and its been killing me to have mine in the basement now for 2 weeks. My mechanic told me hopefully next weekend. I did have a quick question. He mentioned a different cross pin for the diff due to the thick 4.30 gear. I also have the FMS ring/pinion and wondered if its in there or do I need to buy? Anyone know? -James

you only need a different cross pin for the 4.56's.

4.30's can still use the stock cross-pin.

kaos

Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
George since u wont tell me on the other site...im going to follow u here.

was my price cheaper from the other shop i got quoted?

Officer, that man keeps following me. Tell him to go away. :)

kaos

Established Member
Originally posted by biminiLX

I wouldn't know anything about a cross pin, but rio seems to know.

I think you will be very happy with them. it really isn't overboard.

BadAzztt

Established Member
Originally posted by RioRed4v
what kinda gas mileage did you get?
I rode across country with my wife and my father in law. My wife drove her explorer(4.0 six cyl) and my father in-law drove his brand new ford ranger and I got the best mileage of the three. I got on average about 21-22mpg, pretty good I think!

RioRed4v

Established Member
Originally posted by BadAzztt
I rode across country with my wife and my father in law. My wife drove her explorer(4.0 six cyl) and my father in-law drove his brand new ford ranger and I got the best mileage of the three. I got on average about 21-22mpg, pretty good I think!

yea, thats not to bad at all.

mk2001c

Established Member
I don't know how you guys can keep traction with the 4.10/4.30s. I have 3.55s from a solid axle swap and my car boils the tires in 1st gear roll-ons at any RPM above 3000 (with 295's on the back rims). Maybe I need drag radials.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by mk2001c
I don't know how you guys can keep traction with the 4.10/4.30s. I have 3.55s from a solid axle swap and my car boils the tires in 1st gear roll-ons at any RPM above 3000 (with 295's on the back rims). Maybe I need drag radials.

Drag Radials....that is the key grasshopper....mine will incinerate my regular tires above 3K...and i still have stock 3.27's....

Last edited:

Brakelate

Established Member
Omslaw, can you even use your first gear now? I am on the verge of doing the same thing, but figure gear is no good if you can't hook. I spun to a best 60' time of 2.26 at LACR last week on my way to a 14.0 pass. That is with 315 Sumitomos and 3.27's.

Actually would have the gears now if X2C would have answered thier phone!

Anyway , I want bang for the buck, but am considering 3.90's due to traction concerns, don't want to shift right before the lights and commute 150 miles a day on the freeway. Plus, I probably do more Open Track events than I do drags nights in a year.

Anyone have anything good to say about Richmond 3.90's? (Probably not?)

Users who are viewing this thread