I know they said Nitto NT555s aren't good in cold weather but, yeesh!!!

Avispa

Established Member
It was in the low 20s here last Friday. Here's the result of dropping into second at 40 to pass a slowpopke on FM 762 in Richmond. The tires just let go and couldn't be steered to grip the road again.

COBRAWRECK004.jpg

Best we can tell after a good power washing, the only damage was a couple of minor dings to the driver's door, and a broken rocker panel. The driver's side mirror is still properly attached, the window works, and the door even seals properly.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Not surprising, I attempted to drive my significantly less powerful Cobra in 20 degree weather with BFGoodrich summer tires and all I would do is spin thru 3rd if I got on it at all.

Glad the damage is minor, I'm sure you learned something you'll never forget.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Just switched from Proxes to 555s on our L and have had no issues. It's all in how you drive - you just can't do stuff like that when it's cold, regardless of the tire you're running. Sorry you had to learn that the hard way.

LaFlavor

Established Member
Yeah, I don't know if it's the tire, specifically. I have the NT05s on mine, and I know it's useless through 2nd, at least, when it gets below around 40°. I'm not running with a whipple either.

Glad there weren't any injuries, and no major damage is definitely a plus.

CBrowning84

Established Member
Just switched from Proxes to 555s on our L and have had no issues. It's all in how you drive - you just can't do stuff like that when it's cold, regardless of the tire you're running. Sorry you had to learn that the hard way.

+1 summer tires suck with any power at all in cold temps!!

Glad you're ok though, looks like you got pretty lucky!

01svtL

Established Member
Haha, I think that Whipple is your main problem in cold weather!

I have been having fun in this cold weather in my car w/ new 555's, and haven't had a problem. I haven't done any downshift rips though either.

ULTIMATE ORANGE SS

Established Member
did you check underneath?

i have nittos on both of my cars. yes they are dangerous in cold weather and useless in snow lol.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Below about 45 degrees, my Goodyear GS-D3's start to let go. I can't even imagine what they'd be like at 20 degrees.

My snow tires are the opposite. They hang on great at temps below about 35, but get slippery above about 40. At 50 or higher, they are like driving on jelly filled donuts.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
why shift down to 2nd to pass a dude going 40???

oh well, crap happens atleast you're ok

Avispa

Established Member
did you check underneath?

i have nittos on both of my cars. yes they are dangerous in cold weather and useless in snow lol.

Yes, I sure did check the underneath carefully. Had the car on ramps Saturday and power washed off all the mud. Couldn't find a scatch on anything. Car drives perfectly, too. No fluid leaks, nothing. I was really, really lucky.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
your car looks totaled, you should sell it to me for salvaged price!
sucks to hear man, my continentals slide too and i'm in San Antonio. not just type of tires so becareful man.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
If I see one more retard on here post how he lost it in the rain/sleet/snow/cold weather while running Drag radials of any kind...I'm going to come repo the car.

If you weren't running DR's; then I'd say you just made out extremely lucky then. I'm running Nitto 555 street tires and anything below 40 they get slick, but they talk to you a LOT so it's not like you're not going to have any warning.

D-Rock

I got my swim trunks...
Established Member
Quick question to the OP...are those 555Rs or plain 555s? Assumes the drag radials, but I didn't see it anywhere.

Glad you are ok.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
he said NT555's, i dont think the NT anythings are DR's.

iirc on mine, i had NT555 up front and just 555R out back. back they didnt say NT anything, just "Nitto 555R". but its been a while.

sucks, but IMO everyone with a RWD car needs this lesson once in their lives to make them realize that even when they think they have full control, they are probably milliseconds away from disaster. So many people say "ive been driving 500hp rwd since i was 16" well good for you, not everything you can control and there are always variables in play that will prove that.

Users who are viewing this thread