I know more mt82 to 6r80 questions

crazygn

Established Member
Are you guy seeing better 1/4 times and traps when you do the auto swap .
Date on door is 03/11 the car is a 2012 .. The pcm is a NPY2 ....

What Year or PCM do I need and do I need a auto gauge cluster or can I use mine

I might be getting a 6r80 from a wrecked car what else should I try to get from the same car to make this easy

My car is a boss mani 3.73 car , would it be better to swap back to the stock mani and will the 3.73 gears work with these autos good

KPatrone

Established Member
I swaped my mt82 to 6r80. Never got to take it to the track before I blew the motor :shrug:, however, all of the people in here that have the same mods as mine with an auto were putting down about 3-6 tenths better times than my mt82. Add a converter, and you are talking another 3-5 tenths. Combine those results with extremely consistent shifts time and time again and I believe you have a better straight line car.
If I were you (and I was a few months back), pick up the pcm, harness, shifter assembly, and cluster from the same wrecked auto to make your swap as easy as can be. There are not a ton of competent FORD dealers out there that know their IDS machines inside and out to make a new pcm work properly (just my experience, other people have had different experiences). I do believe many other people that have done the swap have not had to replace their cluster, but again this comes with having a great FORD tech (which I couldn't find).
I have 3.73 manual gears still in my vehicle as well. Good luck with your swap!

crazygn

Established Member
Thanks for the reply ... IF everything works out it will be the same car the parts are from but not 100% yet . I'll do what you said and try to get everything from the car . I get my car tuned at rev auto so is this something they can do or just ford to get everything to work with the new auto pcm .

Car is all over the place and quick shifting its been a best of 11.40@121

I'm also thinking about going back to the stock manifold if I go auto and sell my boss because I don't think I'll lose much

KPatrone

Established Member
Other posters have put 13-14 trans in 11-12 cars with their 11-12 clusters and 11-12 pcms I believe. I know that you can get these types of combinations to work, however, if you want to run into the least amount of trouble, try and get everything from the same year (11-12 trans, 11-12 pcm, harness, cluster, etc or 13-14 trans, harness, pcm, etc). Most speed shops do not have the IDS machines to flash a new computer or remove error codes that can come up with a cluster or pcm mismatch that FORD does. However, if they work closely with any Ford service centers, they should be able to get around any issues that arise. Best bet is to reach out to them, tell them what you want to accomplish, and see what their recommended course of action is.

crazygn

Established Member
Ok I thought I needed to run a 11-12 since I have an 2012 but I can also run the 13-14 trans if I run the same year PCM and all ..

Thanks for your time.. Looks like it's time to buy parts now and think 3c or 4c

KPatrone

Established Member
Ok I thought I needed to run a 11-12 since I have an 2012 but I can also run the 13-14 trans if I run the same year PCM and all ..

Thanks for your time.. Looks like it's time to buy parts now and think 3c or 4c
Correct. There have been other people that put 13-14 trans in their 11-12 and have the select shift working as well! Chris recommended the 3c for me and I don't regret it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread