Which Drag Radials would you recommend?

• Nitto 555R (315/35/17)

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • BFGoodrich Comp T/A DR 315/35/17

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters

Fast01Cobra

Established Member
I know it's probably been asked, but I am looking to buy a set of DRs. So I'd like to hear good or bad about the Nitto 555r 315/35/17 or the BFGoodrich DR 315/35/17. Hear locally the BFGs are a few dollars cheaper. I'd like to start a poll and see what everyone thinks. Sorry if this has been done before....

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
I think it depends on how you drive your car. If you want a drag car, then go with BFGs. If you want them on a daily driver that you will also take to the track, go with the Nitto's. I got the Nittos because I didn't want to get spacers and IRS bolt and also because I wanted to be able to corner in them. BFG's have a much softer side wall than the Nittos. The BFG's will probably give you better tractiong though because they have a bigger contact patch. With SVTOA discount, Nittos are 320 shipped for the pair from discounttiredirect.com.

Last edited:

Fast01Cobra

Established Member
$$

Also I think the local price is too high, I'm looking @ $189 a piece (includes shipping). Does that sound high???

Rwick7

Established Member
The 275/40 BFG's are just as wide as the 315 Nitto's and hook a TON better.

Go with the BFG's :beer:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by StlBlack03
The 275/40 BFG's are just as wide as the 315 Nitto's and hook a TON better.

Go with the BFG's :beer:

The BFGs also don't last at all on the street. It depends on what you are looking for.

The Nittos are best for a daily driver. Good for street and have a long tread life.
The BFG are the best drag radial. Good for use on the street and strip and have a much shorter tread life.
The Mickey Thompson ET Street are the best for strip.

Check out this thread.
Drag Radials

Fast01Cobra

Established Member
Ok, it's official, I got the Nittos installed today. Looks great on the car, but can't tell you how they work as we are in the midst of a torrential downpour here. It's been raining for 6 hours now.:??:

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by Fast01Cobra
Ok, it's official, I got the Nittos installed today. Looks great on the car, but can't tell you how they work as we are in the midst of a torrential downpour here. It's been raining for 6 hours now.:??:

Sounds like a good time to see how well the tires perform in the wet. ;-)

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Bingo13
Sounds like a good time to see how well the tires perform in the wet. ;-)

I have them and am in the same downpour and they work fine as long as you stay away from the large puddles. It looks like a lake outside my complex my cars not going any where this weekend I am happy I arrived home early.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
Also remember, that when you first start using them, they will still have a factory coating that will make them less sticky. After a couple of burnouts or couple hundred miles they should really start sticking.

Fast01Cobra

Established Member
I chose the Nitto because of availablity (locally) and recommendation from my local tuner. I may try the BFG's next after these wear out. BTW They handled the wet weather much better than my worn F1s......

Last edited:

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
Originally posted by NastyWS6
If you are going to run a DR go with the BFG. I would recommend going with the ET Street.
100% agreed. When the 17" ET's come out..i'm there.

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
I have them and am in the same downpour and they work fine as long as you stay away from the large puddles. It looks like a lake outside my complex my cars not going any where this weekend I am happy I arrived home early.

I ordered them, hope they work well as even a tech/engineer at Nitto said they have some Cobras using them as a autocross tire also. I ordered the 555RIIs for the front also. I was told not to go higher than 65mph in the rain also.
Maybe one of you Florida guys can try 100mph and let me know how they work in the rain or do 165mph on dry pavement. ;-)

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I have gone 150 mph in the dry with the 555R with no problems. I drive like an old lady max 60 mph in the rain so I will never see 100 mph in the wet.

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
I have gone 150 mph in the dry with the 555R with no problems. I drive like an old lady max 60 mph in the rain so I will never see 100 mph in the wet.

Good Enough for me. :thumbsup:

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
I agree with the other statements about a good drag tire. While the BFG's on my Cobra were much better than the F1's, using a similar comparison MT E/T Streets are at least that much better than the BFG's.

Users who are viewing this thread