I just took a pill....

svtnos1011

STRIKE FIRST, STRIKE HARD
Established Member
live axle swap completed last night:coolman:

time for a catback again:lol:

looks like moser 31splines are the most popular around the boards. i live close to strange, so i might just go by there and pick up some axles. i also plan on ending up with an eaton diff. i need some gears now as well. this stock 8.8 has 327 gears right now. im thinking about some 373's or 410's. not sure yet hehe.

we also welded the axle tubes while they were out:pepper:

maybe it was me, but the car did feel lighter.... kind of like how the car feels after driving around with a passenger, and then driving it myself.:read:

svtnos1011

Established Member
AzSonicSnake said:
awesome. any pics from the install?
i have some crappy cell phone pics:cuss:

one thing i just noticed from going around the block is, im hearing this howling type sound when the car is in gear and slowing down:(

svtnos1011

Established Member
AzSonicSnake said:
sounds like your gear mesh is not quite spot on...
how do i correct this? my friend who is a bmw certified master jedi tech or whatever did most the work on the swap. im not good with cars but trying to learn, and i was his assistant during the swap haha. anyways i talked to him and he said is gona come out today when i get home from work and check it out.

i honestly dont even know what gear mesh is:??:

svtnos1011

Established Member
Bullitt4110 said:
My car weighed 3450 w/o me in it, that is with the soild axle and nothing in the trunk, and I think around 1/2 tank.
sweet thats not bad. you kept your rear seats in? mine are still in. at the track i left them in always. all i would remove is the spare and jack.

Bullitt4110

Established Member
I do have a seat delete kit, sorry forgot. But when I had my Bullitt on the same scale it weighed 3400 w/ nothing in trunk, seat delete, and around the same gas, it did have a Vortech to add a little weight but considering cobra has a bigger motor and supercharger is heavier I thought it was pretty good.

Last edited:

AzSonicSnake

Slowpiece
Established Member
svtnos1011 said:
how do i correct this? my friend who is a bmw certified master jedi tech or whatever did most the work on the swap. im not good with cars but trying to learn, and i was his assistant during the swap haha. anyways i talked to him and he said is gona come out today when i get home from work and check it out.

i honestly dont even know what gear mesh is:??:

its set internally inside the pumpkin. requires taking the diff apart. i would not suggest it unless its something that you buddy has done before. as setting gear lash is a delicate adjustment.

dun4791

Established Member
It feels lighter because it is.
Dan went through 3 sets of Strange axles before he got a good set. Strange was good about swapping them, but the labor was a PITA.

svtnos1011

Established Member
well i ended up having a friend go over to strange during the day to pick up a detroit locker and some 31 spline axles. install went good. my friend has done these types of installs before and he dialed everything in perfect.

what a different ride! the detroit locker sure is different then a limited slip. i practiced a hard launch after we finished everything up and damn does the car really get out of that hole.

i guess the locker will make me a much safer driver being that i will be driving like miss daisy in the rain and no more fast cornering:cuss:

i hope to hit up the track within the next few days weather permitting.

i have 327 gears in there now and i want to see how they do at the track for the heck of it. if the gear doesnt do it for me, ill be getting the 355's in there pronto:-D

tr04mach

Established Member
There is a big improvement to be had with more gear. I have a mach with the 3.55 and everyone seems to be swapping up to 4.10s for daily drivers and higher like 4.30/4.56 for more track time. I can't imagine the 3.27s. I'll be going with 4.10s when i do my rear end with the moser axles and trac loc dif.

svtnos1011

Established Member
tr04mach said:
There is a big improvement to be had with more gear. I have a mach with the 3.55 and everyone seems to be swapping up to 4.10s for daily drivers and higher like 4.30/4.56 for more track time. I can't imagine the 3.27s. I'll be going with 4.10s when i do my rear end with the moser axles and trac loc dif.
ill find out how the car does tonight at the track. only downfall is im on a stock GT catback right now till next week:cuss:

my bottle isnt full either:cuss:

Users who are viewing this thread