I Just Completed The GMC Envoy Fog Lamp Mod (Pictures and Complete Write-Up Within)

Jahel'98COBRA

Established Member
I have disliked the stock COBRA fog lamps since the day I purchased my car. They are smaller than the fog lamp opening in the COBRA's front bumper.
397Fog_Light_1-med.JPG

In addition, they are useless, as the light intensity that is emitted is minimal due to the hazy lens design on the fog lamps.
397IM000688-med.JPG

For the longest time, I thought of getting some aftermarket fog lamps, such as those manufactured by CATZ. Yet, I was hesitant to do so because I did not know if the aftermarket fog lamps would completely fill the fog lamp openings in the front bumper. In addition, I was not sure if these aftermarket fog lamps would match the stock COBRA headlamps.

The solution to this dilemma was provided a while back on the Corral by Badsnke98 (Bruce). He found that using the fog lamps from a 2003 GMC Envoy would meet all of the desired goals that are listed above. The GMC Envoy has fog lamps that completely fill in the fog lamp holes of the COBRA front bumper. Also, the Envoy fog lamps have a crystal lens design identical to the stock COBRA headlamps. The Envoy fog lamps are also much brighter than the stock COBRA fog lamps due to the clear Envoy fog lamp lens and diamond-style backing, and they use a lower wattage bulb (880 series as opposed to the COBRA's 893 series) to boot.

Here is a detailed how-to on what is needed to perform this modification. It is very easy and can be done by a novice. Total install time should be less than 2 hours. Here are the parts (and money) that one needs to do this mod:

1.) Two fog lamps from a 2003 GMC Enjoy ($85 each from a GM parts dealer; I was actually fortunate in that I was able to get each fog lamp for $65 each through "connections." :D )

2.) A strip of aluminum from the Home Depot. The aluminum should be 3 feet long, 1 inch wide, and one-eighth of an inch thick ($5).
397IM000689-med.JPG

3.) Four quarter inch hex nuts and 4 split ring washers ($1)

Start off by disconnecting the wiring harness from each COBRA fog lamp light bulb. Twist the bulbs out of the OEM fog lamps. Each OEM fog lamp bracket is secured to the front bumper by two bolts. Use a wrench (8 or 10mm) to unscrew the bolts. The fog lamp/bracket assembly will then slide out as one piece with the bolts.

Now you are ready to make the brackets that will secure the Envoy fog lamps, as the OEM COBRA brackets will not work. The new brackets that you will make will actually be nothing more than aluminum strips with 2 holes in each strip. Bruce actually was kind enough to send me a precise bracket blueprint design, but I did not have the tools to make his bracket design. Thus, on the recommendation of GuidoInDaCobra (Mikey), I went with the aluminum strips, which I feel are easier to use.

Here are the measurements for the driver's side. Listed are the needed strips lengths as well as the distance that is needed from the center of one hole to another.
397Bracket1.jpg

Here is the same information for the passenger's side.
397Bracket2.jpg

Insert the Envoy fog lamps from the inside of the bumper (not the outside) into the bumper's fog lamp openings. Through the top holes on each strip, you will insert and secure to the bumper the OEM bolts that secured the stock COBRA fog lamp brackets to the bumper. The bottom holes will then slide over the screws that stick out of the back of the Envoy fog lamps. Place a washer over the screw as well and slide the washer until it touches the aluminum strip. Secure the washer to the aluminum strip with a quarter inch hex nut bolt. I chose to secure the 2 strips for each fog lamp to only 2 out of the 3 Envoy fog lamp screws. Mikey chose to secure the 2 strips for each fog lamp to all three screws. Here is a representative picture of what this looks like on Mikey's car (note: he painted his aluminum strips black for an added touch).
397Aluminum_Strips-med.jpg

Next, attach the stock COBRA wiring harness to the Envoy fog lamp bulbs and you are all done. Here is what the finished product should look like. Note how awesome the quality of the Envoy fog lamps is, as I can see my reflection, as well as the reflection of my digital camera, within the Envoy fog lamp.
397IM000693-med.JPG

While I was at it, I also replaced my OEM headlamps, as over the past 6 years, they have accumulated that gunky film that all of us have come to appreciate. Here is a pic of the OEM headlamp in its horrendous state.
397IM000690-med.JPG

As a replacement, I decided to go with the all new Black Housing / Euro-Style headlamps offered by ProCarParts. I got the pair for $208 (includes shipping). I think that these new headlamps are a nice mix between the 1998 OEM style headlamp and the smoked headlamps that come with the newer Mustangs. What I like about these is that the lens is clear, offering no compromise in visibility. Here is a pic of one headlamp.
397IM000696-med.JPG

Here is a pic of the new headlamp with the OEM corner lamp. I decided to not get clear corners, as I think that the set-up pictured below looks really nice given my car's color.
397IM000697-med.JPG

Finally hear is a pic of the front end of my car, showing the new headlamps and the Envoy fog lamps together.
397IM000699-med.JPG

FYI, I am going to be using 9007 series Sylvania Silverstar light bulbs with these headlamps. I am also going to replace the 880 series style Envoy fog lamp bulbs with 893 series style Siverstars. The 880 series Envoy bulb and the 893 series stock COBRA bulb are interchangeable and both utilize the OEM wiring harness.

I would like to thank both Bruce and Mikey for all of their assistance with this project. They both went out of their way to help out a fellow Corraler. They deserve a lot of credit for my being able to post such a thorough write-up. Thanks, guys.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Phew, that was long ... the Envoy lights do have a nice look to them. If my front end ever gets crunched, and if I can remember the names of them, I'll go back in with them! I run my fogs for appearance only (I'm not afraid to admit it), and can't justify $80 + for each light assy right now. Thanks for the info.

Dan

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
I don't know why, but i'm not feeling them. They look a little buggy to me. Dunno...maybe it's just too late. :D

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
i dunno..i think they kinda look like bug eyes and look too big to be in that hole...maybe its just me, though.

FFKnuckles

Giggidy-Giggidy-Giggidy!
Established Member
Originally posted by Dano
Phew, that was long ... the Envoy lights do have a nice look to them. If my front end ever gets crunched, and if I can remember the names of them, I'll go back in with them! I run my fogs for appearance only (I'm not afraid to admit it), and can't justify $80 + for each light assy right now. Thanks for the info.

Dan

I agree, they look nice but for $160 seems a little much for appearance on something i rarely use. But as for an accident...they'll be on!

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
Oh, btw, I took the liberty of taking this write up and converting it to a PDF document. I got some cool new software from work that will let me do that :D

If anyone has got a write up in a document format or whatever (MS Word doc with pictures included) just let me know and I'll be happy to convert them for you. Its a real simple proccess and I can turn around and send it back in about 2 minutes....

Here's the link:
http://skadork.net/EnvoyLightMod.pdf

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
but i also think they look too big

You know, looking at them again, they are kind of overwhelming. The OEM lights are recessed and give a totally different look.

Dan

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
i had a pair of Blazer brand fog lights in the openings of my old GT and they looked killer! and were very bright. I really liked them. I need see if I can get them on the cobra. THey worked really well at night.

front.jpg

Last edited:

Jahel'98COBRA

Established Member
The pics really do not do this mod justice. In person, it looks awesome. The size of the fog lights resembles the large size of the fog lights that are used on Dodge Vipers, IMO:

dodge-viper-gts-pic_1.jpg

Here are a couple of pics of Mikey's car with the same modification.

zainofronttop.jpg

zainofront.jpg

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
They look alright to me, you have to be looking for them to notice they are larger. The crystal headlights are a must though to make them look right. The black one above makes them look out of place with the smoked headlights.

Users who are viewing this thread