I just bought a 99 Cobra and.......

1989CobraMakeOv

mustangoholic
Established Member
I want to do a couple of MINOR mods. It is pretty stock with the exception of a couple of things....... CAI (non fenderwell/filter only) 3.73 gears. I was looking at the JLT intake for my cobra and it sounds like a no brainer........ 15-20 rwhp. Is that for real? Do any of you have this intake on your 99/01's? Oh yea, my car has the "fix" (called SVT with the VIN and verified it). Are there any other minor things I can do to this car to help it?

Also, this is the hardest 1st to 2nd shift, under full throttle, car I’ve ever driven. Is this common or is something up with the linkage? Thanks!

Oh yea, HR springs or Eibach pro kit springs?

281CJ

Established Member
your not gonna get 15-20 from an intake

Intake, gears, shifter and a tune make a great starting point for these cars

99cob

"New Edger".still pimpin!
Established Member
we need to see pics before we tell u anything! ha ha j/k welcome bro! JLT is top choice for intakes...Might wanna get a good exhaust a.s.a.p.! and some h&r springs to lose the 4x4 look...underdrive pullies...dont know what u mean about 1st to 2nd shift! but have fun with it!

cbradley49

Established Member
the "fix" is the recall work that has been done to the 99 cobras. It wasnt mandatory, but they werent producing the claimed horsepower. You could take them to dealerships and they would change the intakes and put a different exhaust system on them. You can tell if they have had the fix by a blue or blueish green dot on the upper or lower intake or you can call SVT with the VIN number and they can tell you.

1989CobraMakeOv

mustangoholic
Established Member
we need to see pics before we tell u anything! ha ha j/k welcome bro! JLT is top choice for intakes...Might wanna get a good exhaust a.s.a.p.! and some h&r springs to lose the 4x4 look...underdrive pullies...dont know what u mean about 1st to 2nd shift! but have fun with it!

So H&R or Eibach Pro Kit springs? i'm hearing the pro kits are great, but i could get the H&R's for $50 bucks cheaper.
attachment.php

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
I want to do a couple of MINOR mods. It is pretty stock with the exception of a couple of things....... CAI (non fenderwell/filter only) 3.73 gears. I was looking at the JLT intake for my cobra and it sounds like a no brainer........ 15-20 rwhp. Is that for real? Do any of you have this intake on your 99/01's? Oh yea, my car has the "fix" (called SVT with the VIN and verified it). Are there any other minor things I can do to this car to help it?

Also, this is the hardest 1st to 2nd shift, under full throttle, car I’ve ever driven. Is this common or is something up with the linkage? Thanks!

Oh yea, HR springs or Eibach pro kit springs?

My car is hard on the 1-2,and 2-3 shift. I changed the tranny fluid,adjusted the clutch engagement,and it still is pretty hard. I have the JLT CAI,you will feel a difference,but not 15-20 hp. The car will be breathing better regardless,so it is a great mod to have. MGW shifter ftw,and full exhaust.

BTW : pro kits wont even lower the car significantly enough to enjoy the drop. I would go with some H&R SS springs.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Welcome aboard. Just remember to search before asking a question (please) as we have covered a lot over the years. Sometimes you can find the answer to your question very quickly.

I like my Tri-Ax shifters, but everyone that has an MGW swears by it.

You won't see 15-20 in a JLT, but you will see some. Since you already have a 3.73, I suggest a springs, shocks, four wheel alignment and shifter (in that order).

The 99 hardtop in my sig has H&R race springs to give you an idea on what they look like.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
Welcome aboard. Just remember to search before asking a question (please) as we have covered a lot over the years. Sometimes you can find the answer to your question very quickly.

I like my Tri-Ax shifters, but everyone that has an MGW swears by it.

You won't see 15-20 in a JLT, but you will see some. Since you already have a 3.73, I suggest a springs, shocks, four wheel alignment and shifter (in that order).

The 99 hardtop in my sig has H&R race springs to give you an idea on what they look like.

Just to add to that, when you do the springs and shocks make sure you include Caster/Camber plates and do your drop right. I run on H&Rs, excellent products....enough said

DRTHV8R

I am your father.
Established Member
beef up the IRS as well.. the wheel hop in these guys are murder.

Bushings and a Bump steer kit

99Rio

Established Member
I agree w/ DRTHV8R, you need to address the slop in the IRS. Doing so will save you money in the long run as well as help w/ launch + handling.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
The hard 1-2 shift will probably be cured with an aftermarket clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster. I had the same issue when I bought my car. About $70 in parts and pretty simple install.

NukeGuard

Established Member
1989CobraMakeOv I'm in Athens if you want some help. I've been using a shop in Charleston (In Tune Motorsports) and so far he's been nothing but good. As a matter of fact I dropped mine off again this week for custom grind cams, valve springs, LT headers, Pro Chamber...let's just say quite a few things, lol. I'll be more than happy to help you out any way I can :beer:

As far as the 1-2 shift, as some of the other members have mentioned, changing the fluid out can help, but it's not a sure thing.

The best things that I've done to mine so far are the gears, MM FLSFC's, shocks and bushings. I can't praise the MGW shifter enough. I had a Tri-Ax in my 02 GT and had no complaints with it, but after feeling the difference between it and the MGW, there is no comparison.

The JLT is a good intake. I don't think I picked up quite that much with it, but it did help some. I would do the subframe connectors before I did the air intake.

Last edited:

1989CobraMakeOv

mustangoholic
Established Member
1989CobraMakeOv I'm in Athens if you want some help. I've been using a shop in Charleston (In Tune Motorsports) and so far he's been nothing but good. As a matter of fact I dropped mine off again this week for custom grind cams, valve springs, LT headers, Pro Chamber...let's just say quite a few things, lol. I'll be more than happy to help you out any way I can :beer:

As far as the 1-2 shift, as some of the other members have mentioned, changing the fluid out can help, but it's not a sure thing.

The best things that I've done to mine so far are the gears, MM FLSFC's, shocks and bushings. I can't praise the MGW shifter enough. I had a Tri-Ax in my 02 GT and had no complaints with it, but after feeling the difference between it and the MGW, there is no comparison.

The JLT is a good intake. I don't think I picked up quite that much with it, but it did help some. I would do the subframe connectors before I did the air intake.

The car already has sub frame connectors and a strut tower brace along with updated struts and shocks. The only other mods are 3.73 gears and a catalytic x-pipe. I've just bought a set of H&R springs and should have them by Wednesday. I'm not sure about installing them myself. So I may enlist some local help. How far away is that shop from Knoxville? I tried putting springs in my 89, uh, not so much luck. I've done all the work for my 89, but those springs were a pain in the... I little background, my 89 Mustang was my first car. I replaced the tired 5.0 ho with a 93 cobra motor, and did every other thing you could think of to it. It was an auto but I swapped it for a tremec 3650 with a pro 5.0 shifter, which worked well, but I eventually swapped it for a c4. The car is on spray and the best it ever ran was 7's on bfg DR's. This cobra is gonna stay stock. It's my DD so the MPG's have to stay high and I just don't have the time to "wrench" around with it as I did my 89. I’ll leave the drag duty to the 89. But, I do plan on getting a shifter, lightbar, series 40 flowmasters, JTL intake and maybe, if you all say it's worth it, an acufab 65 mm tb. Other than that, the car will remain as it sits. Any information is appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread