I Hit Him, He Ran....Southern California

ibismojo

Established Member
This happened around sometime in April/May in 2007...the last weekend of hard rain before summer. It had just started raining quite a bit right before I got on the 110 South from Pasadena. The 110 stretch from Pasadena to LA is 4 lanes wide (2 northbound, 2 southbound), no shoulders on both sides and a concrete divider about 3.5-4 feet tall with a 4-5 feet tall chain linked fence sitting on top of it, and rather twisty for southern California

I got on the freeway, got cruising a little over 50 mph (I think the speed limit on that stretch of the freeway was posted at 55). About .5-1 mile into the freeway, I see lights up ahead that caught my attention. Reason being, the position looked awkward...you have to realize that I'm seeing this through chain linked fences through a turn and night in the rain, so it's kinda hard to tell if it's on my side of the freeway or the opposite.

By the time I realize that there is a minivan pointed against the wall in almost the wrong direction in the fast lane, the lane I'm in, I start braking. Downhill, rain, 50-52 mph, no front ABS, off-road tires (Ford Ranger) = not-so-much traction = not-so-good braking. I conclude that I will probably not be able to stop in time to avoid hitting the minivan. Unfortunately for me, a Jetta was in the lane next to me who must have also seen the minivan and decided to slow down at the same time I did. For some reason, the braking performance of that Jetta was equally as good as my truck.

I am now boxed-in with no where open to go. I can side swipe the Jetta and maybe miss the back of the minivan or broadside the parked minivan. I decide to test out my tube bumper, and proceed to keep braking in the lane I'm in. I get it down to around 20-25 mph (not too sure here, might have been more) before I take out the entire driver side of the mini van. Glass is everwhere, the minivan's glass that is. I nailed the minivan just after the driver side door.

The left end of my tube bumper is now sorta fish-hooked into the minivan. Unfortunately, my truck is dead (inertia fuel switch kicked in). I'm trying to get it started again, it's cranking but not firing up. I don't want to get out cause I just nailed a dude in the fast lane and I'm hoping that someone doesn't nail me from behind. The Minivan, however, has other plans as the engine is still running for him. He's moving back and forth trying to get free, I roll down the window and ask if he's ok. He's kinda ignoring me...maybe doesn't know English too well?

The dude gets free, and I'm still stuck in the fast lane with a truck that won't start. I'm thinking, "ok, at least he's out of the way, since we're on a downhill, I think I can coast off to an exit and we'll get this insurance crap settled." Minivan decides otherwise and takes off. I never see him again but I'm sure he had a noisy, wet ride to wherever he was going. I call up CHP, was on hold for 15 minutes, gave up on that. I didn't get his license plate as I didn't think he'd run away after getting nailed. Plus my mind wasn't exactly ready for any of this as this was my first car accident in the 10 years I've been driving.

I coasted off the freeway and called a friend up to tell him I just hit a minivan and he ran away and that my truck won't start. He tells me I shouldn't be hitting minivans and reminds me of the inertia switch. I switched that off, starts right up...but my steering rack cracked (the housing), I lost all my power steering fluid and it looks like my steering wheels making a left turn while driving straight. I have a lovely drive home in the rain and proceed to see 2 more accidents on the 5 freeway.

Soo......
What would have been my choices here? I didn't report it to insurance because the steering rack was a $160 fix. And the only information I had on the person I hit was that he was a Hispanic male in a faded baby blue 80's dodge/chrysler minivan. I tried calling CHP again but never got through...obviously they were busy tending to the other retards speeding in the rain.

Damn, that's unnecessarily long, sorry. I thought I'd ask for some officers opinions about the situation.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Soo......
What would have been my choices here? I didn't report it to insurance because the steering rack was a $160 fix. And the only information I had on the person I hit was that he was a Hispanic male in a faded baby blue 80's dodge/chrysler minivan. I tried calling CHP again but never got through...obviously they were busy tending to the other retards speeding in the rain.

Damn, that's unnecessarily long, sorry. I thought I'd ask for some officers opinions about the situation.

To be technical, you both left the scene of an accident. You need to stay on the scene of accident with damages or injuries until reported. If you were a danger to others, which it appears you were, you could move to the first safe place closest to the scene and then report it and wait for someone to respond. You dont have to report this to your insurance company unless your contract with them states you must do so, but there is no legal requirement of such. You probably would have been issued a ticket for either careless or reckless based on the details you disclosed to the officer. But, as you note above, you were on notice of the defects in your truck and did not compensate for them and as such they contributed to the accident.

ibismojo

Established Member
So this accident would still have been my fault?

Edit: Assuming we both pulled over to some place safe.

Last edited:

94five0

*Click*
Established Member
yes, it's your responsibility as the operator of the vehicle, to control the vehicle at all times, regardless of weather, road/traffic conditions, visability or mechanical condition of said vehicle.

ibismojo

Established Member
So in my defense, arguing the determination of which side of the freeway this vehicle was on for the given condition to allow me to slow down in time wouldn't be much of a help, would it? Would the driver I hit be responsible in anyway for the accident or is the entire burden still on me?

SILVER06GT

Established Member
Im in no way a LEO,and dont claim to be and about the only thing I could think they might say from what I read is, you were going to fast for the conditions, just because the posted speed limit says 55mph doesnt mean it is safe and legal to do so. I think had you been going about 40mph which would of been safe for the conditions you could of avoided the whole accident.

ibismojo

Established Member
I suppose the difficulty here is trying to explain the determination of this spun out vehicle for these conditions unless if you've been in the situation. Or I simply suck ass at driving, which is quite possible as a resident of California, right? :)

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
The issue is that accidents happen daily, so they are expected, and you are expected to recognize that and avoid them. You knew the condition of your car and drove it in that condition anyway. You should not have been in the left lane and as mentioned above, because you couldnt avoid the accident, you were probably going too fast for conditions.

ibismojo

Established Member
What If I decided to move over into the right lane where the Jetta was right next to me and say I clipped the back of the minivan and the minivan still ran away but now there's side damage to my truck since I'd probably would have made contact with the Jetta. I suppose at that point, it'd be just between me and the Jetta and I'd still be screwed.

ZChaos0026

Established Member
You are at fault for the accident. You were in a bad situation, and if I read your post correctly you dodged a head on crash, which very well could have killed you. So having to pay a citation and higher insurance rates is well worth saving your life.

If you would have stayed on scene, you would have been cited, but the driver of the minivan that left could have been arrested. Most people flee accidents because they are in violation of the law (driving on suspended license, driving under the influence, in possession of illegal narcotics, have a dead body in the trunk, etc.) I can't speak for the CHP line, but did you try 911??? I would think that a 1980's blue minivan with fresh accident damage would be pretty easy to spot and he mightve been caught.

ibismojo

Established Member
In California, any 911 calls made by a cell phone (which was what I used) gets routed to Sacramento to the CHP Call Center, and then from there, they will dispatch the proper authority, be it the CHP, local PD, or local sherrif.

But on that night, pretty much all out of southern California was under good rainfall. I think the accident happened sometime in between 9 and 10pm. And it appears that I wasn't the only one getting in trouble as I saw two more accidents on the way back down to SD. So I'd imagine resources were spread thin that night.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I think you should just be glad he ran and not try to do anything about it.

fire

Bleeding Blue
Established Member
yeah man he probably ran for a reason, like no license/insurance, if you're car is just a cheap fix id take it as him agreeing to settle it on your own and leave it at that

Users who are viewing this thread