I have to start my 1991 Mustang 4 to 5 times in the morning. What can I do to fix?

filmnews

Established Member
I have to start my car 5 or so times each morning before it stays running. It will start and die about three seconds later. It is usally start the first time after that for the rest of the day. It is a 1991 5.0 LX and it has Cam. Any ideas what I can do to fix this?

wheelhopper

Established Member
I would check the basics first:
timing
vaccum leaks
clean TPS/MAF

You could also replace the distributor module. I had one of those go bad on my '95 and it took me 2 days to figure it out. They are cheap too.

KILRSVT

Established Member
those TFI modules give no warning they either work or they dont..but cleaning the MAF cleaning the TB and IAC wouldnt be a bad idea...whats your timing at? may have to crack openthe tb a lttle bit more..

93sspcoupe

Established Member
i would have to say its the mass air flow sensor that has gone bad. is it throwing any codes? also try to replace the air idle control valve. i had the same situation happen twice and they was the culpruts

93sspcoupe

Established Member
my buddy had the same problem when he bought a 92 gt with a 408. turns out it had the wrong spark plugs in it, they wasnt reaching all the way down into the combustion chamber. its something u may wanna check out anyway

Users who are viewing this thread