i have a whinning noise coming for under the hood

silver93

Established Member
i started hearing a whinning noise a while back it would come and go and would only hear it at rpms above 2200. now it is doing it all the time i have pin pointed it to some exstent just would like some input on this. i do now it is coming from the some thing driven by the blower belt. i pulled the belt and it and crank the car and it stopped. i have a kb 2.6 on my car with metco pullies i had a pully that had a lot of wobble in it so i changed it but i still hear it. im almost postive its not my blower because the noise sounds like it is coming lower. the only other thing being driven by the belt is the alternator and metco pullies. my question is do yall believe that it could be coming from the alternator?

Kubin-B

Established Member
Thats hard to say, i have never heard an alt. make that kind of noise, do you have any out of the ordinary vibration in the area?

silver93

Established Member
no... thats the thing ive never heared a alternator whine eather. there is no vibration. but i know it is coming from some thing being driven by the blower belt because when i removed the belt it stopped. i might try to bypass the alternator some way maybe with a shorter belt to see if thats it i just hate to buy a belt that i will never use again

Last edited:

Ironhand

Banned
Its either an idler going or its the rear bearings in the blower.

I had a similar noise and it turned out to be rear bearings.

Kubin-B

Established Member
i really suggest you work on pin pointing the whine, i have 4 compressors at work these are big air movers just like the blower on the car, vibration is one of our biggest concerns, our motors are hooked to the compressor by shaft, which when the balance is off produces a whine, that or your screws could be out of sync the lobes are not properly seating but are close enough not to touch but close enough to produce a whine. let me look at some stuff and i will see if i come up with anything else.

da2k17

Established Member
what does the whine sound like?

Belt squeal?

spray it with belt conditioner if it stops you know its the belt. put a gatorback on it. mine was very high pitch and pretty distinct, it started the same way your did at higher rpm and then after a week or so was constant.

silver93

Established Member
what does the whine sound like?

Belt squeal?

spray it with belt conditioner if it stops you know its the belt. put a gatorback on it. mine was very high pitch and pretty distinct, it started the same way your did at higher rpm and then after a week or so was constant.

it really doesnt sound like belt squeal but i will try this. i run a gates belt on my car and it only has about 500 miles on it if that.

silver93

Established Member
Its either an idler going or its the rear bearings in the blower.

I had a similar noise and it turned out to be rear bearings.

man i hope its not a bearing in the blower but sounds like it is coming from down lower near the alternator but with my luck that is probably it.lol if so do you have to send the blower back to kb and what does it cost to get it redone?

Kubin-B

Established Member
I have heard KB is usually pretty good with customer service, may not cost anything if its under a year old; i think that is how long their warranty is. but it may not be that either and hopefully they would know more and would offer better help. see if radio shack has something that could find the higher frequency like a sound meter or something, i know they have apps for i phone but doubt they work but who knows. gl.

Kubin-B

Established Member
kenne bell 2.3 whine noise, type that into yahoo. first pdf file that comes up should show the link as the same above.

DE07GT

Established Member
Anyone that says they've never heard an alternator whine hasn't worked on enough cars. I'm not saying it's definitely the problem, but if you can pinpoint it to that area it's a pretty good chance. Using a stethoscope can help if you have one. Do you have a larger crank pulley or is it the stock one?

silver93

Established Member
i have been playing with mustang and car for along time i just never heard a alternator make this type of noise. yes i have a metco lower pulley set with a 8 pound crank pulley on the car.

da2k17

Established Member
is the alternator pulley stock? with an 8lb lower and a stock alt pulley your over spinning the alternator, id bet thats the problem.

silver93

Established Member
is the alternator pulley stock? with an 8lb lower and a stock alt pulley your over spinning the alternator, id bet thats the problem.

no the alternator has a metco pulley on it but i do believe that it is possibly the alternator

Users who are viewing this thread