I have a tough decision ahead of me.(job related)

Nebraska_SHO

Established Member
I am 21 years old, have been working at my current job for 3 years now really only 2 the first year, was my last year in college. It is in sales, I have worked my way up from the very bottom. (Part-time front office, part-time in a department, full-time in a department, 2nd assistant manager, and where I sit now as a 1st assistant manager) I do like my job and the company itself, the problem lies in the income. When things were good I average about 55-50 hours a week and gross roughly $30,000 a year. If I were to take my next step as a department manager I would gross $45,000-$60,000 a year. If I wanted to I could also get into the general management running a store with the possibility to make $100,000-$120,000 a year. Most of the management income is based off bonuses 4 during the year and 2 in February, my weekly income is $475-$350 depending how many hours I get.

Now the tough part I was recently offered a job at a steel mill (Nucor-Vulcraft) This is a tough physical job, its hot and fast pasted, I know I could do it and move up the ladder their also. They make good money the entry level is $45,000-$55,000 gross, taking home $700-$900 a week. If I were to move up in that company I would max out with my degree at about $130,000 a year.

My degree is nothing special just a 2year from a local college in Social Sciences but I have one and that’s what they want. :read:

IF YOU WERE IN MY SHOES WHAT WOULD YOU DO, thanks fellas

F8LBITEva

Alexis Texas' #1 fan
Established Member
the only way to get a jump in salary is to switch jobs. if you stay at one place they hardly ever give you an increase in pay.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
Steel Mill job would burn you out quick and make you go old prematurely. Sounds like you worked your way up at your old job and you should be proud of that. Go to your boss, ask him/her some questions about what kind of career direction you could do there and what steps you would need to take to achieve this. Also, don't be afraid to ask for a raise, I have done it every year at my job for the last 3 years. My gutt says stay at your current place and work your way up, but that is my humble opinion.

Good luck kid and welcome to real life experiences we all do. Let us know what you chose.

Dave

boostedgtp

Established Member
I would stay at your current job. At least in sales you can make new contacts, meet differnt people, make good money. I have 0% experience working in steel mills but i bet that would suck.

O4COBRA

Established Member
dtheo said:
Steel Mill job would burn you out quick and make you go old prematurely. Sounds like you worked your way up at your old job and you should be proud of that. Go to your boss, ask him/her some questions about what kind of career direction you could do there and what steps you would need to take to achieve this. Also, don't be afraid to ask for a raise, I have done it every year at my job for the last 3 years. My gutt says stay at your current place and work your way up, but that is my humble opinion.

Good luck kid and welcome to real life experiences we all do. Let us know what you chose.

Dave

I like what he said. It maight seem easier to take that jump in pay right now, but you will get it at your current job soon enough. I say stay at your current job, and maybe just put in a little more effort there and show them that you are the right person for future positions. BTW, not saying you don't work hard, just saying show a little more effort and it will take you far...

sn95leen

Established Member
I agree w/the previous 3 replies...good stuff there.

Question: You mentioned "taking the next step" where you are, is this an immediate option, or is it in the distant horizon?

It sounds like your career path (and salary) can grow a bit more by staying where you're @. So if you have overall job satisfaction there, I'd stay there...I think the opportunities you mentioned will solve the salary dissonance you have.

the only way to get a jump in salary is to switch jobs. if you stay at one place they hardly ever give you an increase in pay.
I disagree. In < than 2.5 yrs I've gone from the high 40's to the high 60's. Not sure how this compares to others, but IMO it disproves the above statement. Naturally, there are specifics to keep in mind though.

Good luck man.

Last edited:

00 Aggie

Its just a slow vert...
Established Member
the only way to get a jump in salary is to switch jobs

Not true, I started off as an Auditor in the high 40s and now jumped 4 times that amount in 5 years.

Nebraska_SHO

Established Member
My next step would also require moving. I could probably stay in Nebraska with the new stores that are opening, but that’s not till next spring. I could move up faster is I would move to say Chicago, Minneapolis, or Indy. The company is Menards a Midwest home improvement center/lumberyard.

Whizzle

Established Member
stick with it! Its better to like your job and feel underpaid than to hate your job and pick up a fat pay check

chevytosvt

Guns go bang
Established Member
Whizzle said:
stick with it! Its better to like your job and feel underpaid than to hate your job and pick up a fat pay check

+1 I used to be in the same boat, Now I make a fat paycheck and absolutely love going to work!! :thumbsup:

Whizzle

Established Member
FLACO_G said:
Go For The Money.. Forgit That Underpaid Job You Have Now..

no offense to you, but this is terrbile advice. Money does not equal happiness. Waking up in the morning and looking forward to your work enviroment equals happiness

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
Also, think about your resume, would you rather have sales experience and managerial experience that you will most likely get at your current job and future roles or having 20 years as a steel worker and IF you ever get fired, you won't be able to find something comparable. No offense to steel workers, you guys have hard jobs!! Sounds like your first job can give you the opportunities you want, you just gotta go for it. Anyways, good luck. Ask for a raise!!! dead serious, what is the worst they are going to say???NO?

96redvette

god my car is slow
Established Member
Whizzle said:
no offense to you, but this is terrbile advice. Money does not equal happiness. Waking up in the morning and looking forward to your work enviroment equals happiness
+100000000
you spend most of your life at work, so if you dread going to work it is a very depressing way to live. i would rather work at a job where i know absolutly everything about it, be the "man" and get a decent paycheck, than working my ass off, be the "worm" and get a slightly fatter paycheck

stubbs

Established Member
Nebraska_SHO said:
My next step would also require moving. I could probably stay in Nebraska with the new stores that are opening, but that’s not till next spring. I could move up faster is I would move to say Chicago, Minneapolis, or Indy. The company is Menards a Midwest home improvement center/lumberyard.

I dont know about this one, I used to work at Menards here in Chicago, and hated it. I was a cashier/stocker and hated. I started there when I was 18 and just quit and moving up to being a dept. manager. I was making 60,000k a year but I hated it. You had to deal with ignorant people and what not, and Menards never gave me raises, bonuses, etc. I now work for a food company called Sysco Foods here in Illinois, they are huge and there is one in almost every single state. I make 60,000k with less hours but the work is more physical. I like it better for the simple fact that I am young now and I don't mind the hard work, but that was the way I was raised. Everyone is different but, maybe to me it just seems like a lot of people dont want to do hard work or labor anymore. I am 21 btw.

Its really your decision I would move because the steel business can really make you a lot of money, its physical but you can move up very quickly I am sure. But do what makes you happy.

Sorry for the long post.

Good luck with whatever you do.

wwmost

Established Member
straightliner1 said:
Go back to school, and learn how to spell "paced". Then worry about the working world.
ut oh we got a jokester, nice one:loser:

Whizzle

Established Member
Im not knocking on your for a 2 year degree, but thats nothing to most companies. I would just stick with your current path and build your resume if/when the time comes to move on

Users who are viewing this thread