I have a question...

SBTerminator

Established Member
I popped the cover on my shifter and it looks like it's a stock unit. The one day I had it out, when driving "normal" I had really no issues, but it's not like my Pro 5.0 in the 91. But when I jumped on it, and tried to slap into 2nd gear, it almost felt like it "grinded" into gear. Was hard, but I felt it in the shifter. Still went it, but not smooth at all. :eek: Only going into second gear is when I noticed it. Happened a few times, I wanted to make sure I didn't just imagine it. I used the clutch, and not sure if it's the shifter, the adjustable firewall clutch quadrant or what?? Any ideas? :shrug:

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
i would check the quadrant first. quad should be replaced with aftermarket unit, if it isn't already. firewall adjuster is a nice, quick mod, too. if it's not that, i would drain the tranny and refill with synchromesh.

Last edited:

SBTerminator

Established Member
It has an aftermarket firewall adjuster for sure, since its blue. Im not sure under the dash yet, too damn cold in Chicago to craw around still. I'm thinking of getting all the fluids changed on the car anyway, since the coolant looks like crap, and I'm sure the other fluids are original too. I hope to also throw in a Short throw shifter at the same time. I hope between the fluids being changed, and the shifter, and maybe an adjust ment to the quadrant, I will be all set.

BTW, what is the best way to adjust at the firewall?

99stanger

RPB
Established Member
It depends on if you want it looser or tighter (point of engage), let me see if I don't confuse myself here... but the closer you have it to the firewall, the looser it is adjusted means it will engage right off the floor... giving you little time to nail that shift. The more away from the firewall it is the tighter it will be, meaning it will engage way off the floor... and you will have way too much pedal there between shifts. Adjust it to your liking, and take the 10 seconds it takes to check to see if you have an aftermarket quadrant.

Users who are viewing this thread