I have a question for those of you who traveled long distance for your car....

farmboy90

Established Member
I am contemplating flying out to pick up my car and driving it back once it arrive. It might set a record as longest distance traveled as it is just over 1,500 miles. :rolling:

For those of you who drove long distance.... Did you sleep in your cars? If so, where are safer places to stop? Were they at rest stops, hotel parking lots, side of the road, etc?

Or did you just stay in hotels along the way?

oem

Custom User Title
Established Member
I drove my Cobra straight through 950 miles when I bought it (don't recommend that). But I have done a few long road trips in other cars, and both slept in the car and stayed somewhere. I recommend staying somewhere, just because you are refreshed and ready to go again when you wake up. Then i've slept in the car at rest stops, and on on/offramps where the 18 wheelers pull on the shoulder park right next to them. When you wake up your always still tired, super sore, and just don't have the drive to keep going.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I drove from Ohio to Utah (1900 miles) in about 33hrs. I slept 4 hours and averaged 70mph... Had stints at 95mph for hours at a time. Left at 9pm Saturday and got home at 5:30am Monday. Completely stupid and irresponsible.

Plan hotels and don't drive more than 500 miles at a time. Take at least an hour or two break after a 500 mile run. Stop for an hour or two, run another 250 miles, then call it a day and sleep at a hotel.

I almost crashed from drowsy driving a half dozen times. Completely stupid. Please heed my advice, I was 21 at the time and "invincible." I learned from 9-11pm in Colorado that my invincibility was a mirage just like the hallucinations I was having watching I70 and I80 turn into various shapes. After swerving off the road from having fallen asleep and nearly wrecking, I pulled off the side of a rural exit around state road 283 and slept for 3 hours in the cold with a tshirt.

I'm not telling you that it can't be done, it definitely can, I'm saying it's not safe.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Drive 800 miles the 1st day. Get a hotel. 700 the second day.

10-12 hrs of driving should be about max

ObieFox

Established Member

Exactly this. I drive out west a bunch to hunt and north to Canada to fish. 10-12 hrs is about all you should really do at one time. Leave at 7am and check into a hotel and get dinner at 7PM. Wake up and do it again.

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
Or bring someone if you trust or want someone driving your new car.

This one, when I pick her up, no one is driving her but me. But back when I bought my 04, I flew to Missouri to get her, and a friend came a long. It was about 1200 miles back home. We drive straight through, taking turns driving.

Also drove to Florida in my SRT8 Jeep straight through as well. That was about 1100 miles or so.

But you know yourself better than others, and I would say for just about most people, if you are alone, definitely better to stop and stay some place.

Stinger99

Established Member
I Would agree, I drive alot. 12 hours MAX.

Do you have any friends or family you can stop to mid point of the trip?

force feed

Established Member
Just did a 1200 mile trip from indy to san antonio. I flew my friend and we drove straight. I drove the first 8 then she drove 8 and i finished the last hour. Wasnt bad at all

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Longest stretch I've driven was from Toronto, Ontario to Little Rock, Arkansas. About 1150 miles. I drove the whole way straight through, minus the stops for gas and food. Wasn't too bad but I was definitely tired at the end.

BlackOutUT

Established Member
Did the trip from Dallas to LA and will always recommend stopping at a hotel. I even had a buddy with me note way back. For me I was just ready to be out of the car and stretch out for awhile. But watch where you park that think in a random town!

Traincollector

Established Member

Have you had a chance to ride in a 2013 with the PP Pkg?Just wondering if the standard suspension (like yours) is as smooth as the "Touring" mode in the PP models? I'm looking to order one mainly for street use and occasional drag racing, and I don't like the Black wheels and I heard the Torsen diff. is not ideal for the 1/4 mile. I will be putting in 4.10's along with a tune, headers, lower pulley , Cobrajet TB, and JLT intake. I plan on using Drag radials at the strip.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Have you had a chance to ride in a 2013 with the PP Pkg?Just wondering if the standard suspension (like yours) is as smooth as the "Touring" mode in the PP models? I'm looking to order one mainly for street use and occasional drag racing, and I don't like the Black wheels and I heard the Torsen diff. is not ideal for the 1/4 mile. I will be putting in 4.10's along with a tune, headers, lower pulley , Cobrajet TB, and JLT intake. I plan on using Drag radials at the strip.

I have not.

But-If you plan on changing the suspension, and the gears- the money saved on the SVTPP you could spend it on a nice drag setup.

Drwalker02

2013 GT500 Addict
Established Member
I did 2600 miles in 41.5 hours. Averaging 63.5 miles per hour including gas and restroom stops. Up to 105 at two points Only because it wasn't "feelable". Slept for an hour in the car outside of Birmingham about 1900 miles and 31 hours into it. Seats were damn comfortable. drove my trade there and my Shelby back.

But then again, I've done 40-48 hours of work stretches at a time

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread