I have a great original idea for a phone App...now what?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Ok guys, as the title states, I have a really good idea for a new app, but have no idea where to go from here.
I do not know how to create/write an app.
I do not want to just give my idea away to any Tom, Dick, or Harry.

Whom do I speak with? How do I get the ball rolling?
This app would be used nationally and should be able to generate quite a bit of income, but I'm clueless when it comes to all this stuff. I need some (lots of) guidance.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
have you done the research required to understand the fees associated with having things on apple's or google's app store? THAT is what you need to do next

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
have you done the research required to understand the fees associated with having things on apple's or google's app store? THAT is what you need to do next

No I have not.
This app has the potential to bring in millions annually. The fees wouldn't bother me so much if/when the app takes off.

I was kinda hoping to find someone trustworthy that would build the app in exchange for a % of the income.

Edit: just checked the fees for Apple and Google
Apple = $99 annually
Google = $25 one time fee

bigja01cobra

Established Member
Look for freelance app creators they are all over. Talk with a lawyer to get iron clad NDAs and start reaching out to the freelance developers for support.

Buddies had work done out of china using a freelance app not sure which one though.

Another good place to look are local makerspaces usually they have lots of coders and app developers could get someone to partner up with to handle the technical side of things as well.

KingBlack

Established Member
No I have not.
This app has the potential to bring in millions annually. The fees wouldn't bother me so much if/when the app takes off.

I was kinda hoping to find someone trustworthy that would build the app in exchange for a % of the income.
I don't want details, but what skill set(s) are you looking for? Data Science? Sensor manipulation? API integration with other phone features? If the app isn't something static, constant updates should be developed into your business plan. At this point, I would suggest NOT discussing the details and look into a provisional patent if you think it is this big.

Remember - great ideas die everyday. Think about how many guys had the skills to be a great ball player, but it didn't work out because they were surrounded by horrible people. Being from MA, think about Len Bias..

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I don't want details, but what skill set(s) are you looking for? Data Science? Sensor manipulation? API integration with other phone features? If the app isn't something static, constant updates should be developed into your business plan. At this point, I would suggest NOT discussing the details and look into a provisional patent if you think it is this big.

Remember - great ideas die everyday. Think about how many guys had the skills to be a great ball player, but it didn't work out because they were surrounded by horrible people. Being from MA, think about Len Bias..

All of this is new to me. I really have no idea what it is I am looking for. I'm clueless when it comes to anything in this ballpark.

I just googled the terms you mentioned and it would definitely require API and data science
Not even sure what sensor manipulation is.

KingBlack

Established Member
All of this is new to me. I really have no idea what it is I am looking for. I'm clueless when it comes to anything in this ballpark.

I just googled the terms you mentioned and it would definitely require API and data science
Not even sure what sensor manipulation is.

Data Scientist don't come cheap. Entry level guys work at a rate of about 45-50 dollars per hour. Remember, DSS (decision support systems) are there to assist in decisions, not to replace the human.

Do you have a business plan? You may want to consider starting a company with another entity that have all of these systems in place. Yes, you may give up....20% (?) of the company, but you don't have to build an infrastructure that cost big $$$ and go through the headache of licensing, staffing etc.

There is a lot to consider.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Data Scientist don't come cheap. Entry level guys work at a rate of about 45-50 dollars per hour. Remember, DSS (decision support systems) are there to assist in decisions, not to replace the human.

Do you have a business plan? You may want to consider starting a company with another entity that have all of these systems in place. Yes, you may give up....20% (?) of the company, but you don't have to build an infrastructure that cost big $$$ and go through the headache of licensing, staffing etc.

There is a lot to consider.

Man, this is a lot on my plate. I had no idea it was all this involved.
Maybe I can sell the idea to a corporation whom had already done this type of thing time and time again.

It is an automotive related app.

KingBlack

Established Member
Man, this is a lot on my plate. I had no idea it was all this involved.
Maybe I can sell the idea to a corporation whom had already done this type of thing time and time again.

It is an automotive related app.
as they say, it takes money to make money. automotive and military industries drive innovation more than anything else. With the changes ahead , consider this:
Internal combustion engines and human interface with the vehicle is going away. in 30 years, people will no longer need a licence, and few will have a need to actually own a car. So if the app involves things that are going away, you need o move now and get it done.

People here called me crazy when I mentioned universal minimum income some time back. Well, thing about it, if you work in transportation (driver, mechanic, etc) you won't have a job in 20 years. Same with fast food. even farmers. Automation is FAR from being able to take over driving but when 5G is in place nationally, the amount of data, but more importantly, the reduction of latency, will allow massive leaps in innovation in the technology sectors. I hope people are ready for what's ahead.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
No, the use for the app wont be gone is 20 years. But then I dont see us using apps in 20 years anyway.

It really is a great idea. Very useful to 80-95% of all drivers if I had to guess.

KingBlack

Established Member
No, the use for the app wont be gone is 20 years. But then I dont see us using apps in 20 years anyway.

It really is a great idea. Very useful to 80-95% of all drivers if I had to guess.

another challenge you have now is to find a way to convey your idea to others without saying enough so that someone can use social engineering or inference to find out what you are doing. You need to check your social media accounts, etc for information that could lead back to you.

just a thought.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
I'd start with a preliminary conversation with an IP attorney and see if your idea is in any way patentable. If it is, patent it. (Won't be cheap.)

Then you can start talking to developers about building out your idea without worrying about them ripping you off, which can be relatively easy if you don't know what you're doing.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
another challenge you have now is to find a way to convey your idea to others without saying enough so that someone can use social engineering or inference to find out what you are doing. You need to check your social media accounts, etc for information that could lead back to you.

just a thought.

I have a phone appointment tomorrow at 10am with Integral App Studio.
Integral App Studio

They pretty much do all the leg work with a team of 40-50 people, and take a cut.
I will speak with the owner tomorrow and discuss the idea and see what he says.
I submitted a form with a confidentiality agreement.

This is a copy of the agreement, and attorneys see anything fishy in there?
Confidentiality Agreement — Integral App Studio

Last edited:

PIPO

Established Member
My son, who’s a co-founder of a company, just went through all that process. Took him over a year. If you want to talk to him, I can link you guys up.

Edit- looks like you are going the right way. Have them sign a non-disclosure agreement.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
My son, who’s a co-founder of a company, just went through all that process. Took him over a year. If you want to talk to him, I can link you guys up.

I may. Let me see how the appointment goes tomorrow first.

Users who are viewing this thread