I Have a Brake Problem and Need Help Figuring it Out!!

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Ok so the cobra has been sitting for a few months covered- I took it out last week for the first time. First- I put it in reverse to back it up, and it would go. I gave it a bit more gas, and I heard a loud "pop", and then it moved with no problem. Since then, every time I hit the brakes, there is a pulsing feel in the pedal, and you can hear a noise that is in sync with the pedal vibration/ pulse.

Could the brakes pads rusted to the rotor some how, and it yanked the pad out? I'm just looking for ideas and tips before I start digging.

Thanks.

vipergts281

Established Member
Most likely rust was the cause of the pop. That happened to me not too long ago after sitting for only a day (after a ton of rain).

As for the other problem, you may just need new rotors. Or, maybe spray that stuff on the pads that helps them from making noises (from vibrations). I'd try that first since it's an easy fix.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
The rotors are only two years old, with less than 10k miles on them.

The pedal vibration is what baffles me.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
The rotors are only two years old, with less than 10k miles on them.

The pedal vibration is what baffles me.

Give the car a couple of high speed stops to burn that rust and crap off of your rotors. You should be good to go after that.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Give the car a couple of high speed stops to burn that rust and crap off of your rotors. You should be good to go after that.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

I did this- It did help with the rust off the rotors, however that pulse/sound is still there.

Is it possible for the pad to come unseated from the caliper? Or crack?

BlownShift

Rex Kramer -Danger Seeker
Established Member
scrub the rotors clean, cut them, or replace them

check for pad imprint on the rotors - check pads for uneven wear, check for caliper/parking brake not releasing

* i'm assuming it's your rears and that you had the parking brake on

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I did this- It did help with the rust off the rotors, however that pulse/sound is still there.

I would take the brakes apart and inspect what's going on with them.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I agree something is not right, but mine pop the first time when the car sits for a while and it has rained...never new what it was till you brought it up...great thread...

Silver TT

Established Member

Hey mike - Did you ever figure out what it was that was causing the vibration / pulsing in the pedal? I have felt this before and I think its gone since I recently swapped out to 14" Brembo kit but would like to know in the event it comes back.

Users who are viewing this thread