I hate my 4.10 Gears

ilovespeed

Established Member
I know the topic has been beaten to death with varying opinions, but I just wanted to share my experience and thoughts. I bought my first Cobra a couple months ago with only 15K on the clock:rolling:. The only downside about the car is the Lambo door kit(soon to be removed) and the 4.10 gears.

The Good:
The power comes on super quick and the car feels like a beast

The Bad:
- Horrific wheel spin and hop makes 1st useless
- 6th gear at 50mph
- 120 top speed
- Driving on surface streets is a chore
- Can you even consider 6th gear overdrive?!?

I usually skip through gears when driving; I either do 1-3-5-6 or 2-4-5-6 depending on the slope of the road I start on. I only drive the car on the weekend, but the shifting does take away from the experience. The previous owner included the stock gears with the car and I'm ready to put them back in.

So with all that said, does anyone know of a reputable shop and price for a gear swap in/near Atlanta? :)

Last edited:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I loved my 4.10s with an upper pulley car...now with my KB, different story!

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
I bought 4.10's and almost went that route but decided stepping down to 3.08's. I just like how i can hit 65 in first, almost 100 in second and about 130 in 3rd if i shift at 6500rpms. After the swap, i could feel a small difference and everyone that rides in my car still thinks it's fast as hell.

ewaters8

Ewaters8svt
Established Member
got the 4.10 in mine also bought it like that and i also hate them i am going back with a 3.73 or 3.55 when i can find someone to change mine also gas mileage sucks to , a tenth or so at the track just isint worth it

GodStang

Established Member
4.10s came in mine and I super super hate them. Nothing is worse than spinning in 4th with ET Streets on them.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I bought 4.10's and almost went that route but decided stepping down to 3.08's. I just like how i can hit 65 in first, almost 100 in second and about 130 in 3rd if i shift at 6500rpms. After the swap, i could feel a small difference and everyone that rides in my car still thinks it's fast as hell.

3.08's in a Terminator! :eek:

100 in 2nd :eek::eek:

What does she top out at? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

What is your rpm at 80? (Probably getting better gas milage then a Prius)

.............and all this time I thought I've seen it all LOL

Teej281

Established Member
Only reason for anything lower than a 3.27(stock gt gear) is probably a turbo car making a sh!tload of power. I think the 3.55's are a perfect gear for a roots/ts car northwards of 700rwhp, especially on a termi that can spin the motor to hell and back. I top out my GT with IRS with 3.55's in it at 135 at the top of 4th which for me ends before 6000rpm's. Lol but as far as op's issues and everyone elses for that matter, I agree 10000000% that 4.10's do not belong in termis at all!!! Too much gear, especially if you ever see street driving. Track only car it's fine but that's it.

ilovespeed

Established Member
Well its good to know I'm not the only one feeling this way. :)

FYI: I got a quote from Moe's Shop of $450 + install kit, which totals about $550. I've heard nothing but good things about them and they're only 40mins away, so I'll probably have them do it sooner than later.

Last edited:

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
ive considered stepping down my 4.10's in my sra ... i liked the fun of the 3.55's more with the irs

i feel as if i am constantly shifting .. and gears run out wayyyy too fast when mashing the gas

plus the drone at 2,400ish rpms at only 70 mph isnt too nice sometimes

Teej281

Established Member
$450+install kit is RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!! My friend charged me $100 to install my 4.10's, but his shop rate is $200 for installation of gears. I would not take it to that shop to have the gears done. Way too much money.

ilovespeed

Established Member
$450+install kit is RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!! My friend charged me $100 to install my 4.10's, but his shop rate is $200 for installation of gears. I would not take it to that shop to have the gears done. Way too much money.

I also thought that was a bit high, but after searching a ton of mustang forums, the average seems to be $300-$600 + install kit. The only people I've seem to be able to get done for under $350 are those with a SRA. Money is an issue, but its more important that it be done right. I don't mine paying a little more for assurance.

If anyone knows of a shop with in 100 miles of Atlanta with a better price, please let me know.

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
I paid $515 for mine total, FRPP 3.73's, from a reputable shop (and in NY no less). Your price might be a little high but like you said few extra beans might be worth the peace of mind for quality install.

I sure as hell wouldn't feel confident with someone that does it dirt cheap

zacharyt1122

Established Member
I know the topic has been beaten to death with varying opinions, but I just wanted to share my experience and thoughts. I bought my first Cobra a couple months ago with only 15K on the clock:rolling:. The only downside about the car is the Lambo door kit(soon to be removed) and the 4.10 gears.

The Good:
The power comes on super quick and the car feels like a beast

The Bad:
- Horrific wheel spin and hop makes 1st useless
- 6th gear at 50mph
- 120 top speed
- Driving on surface streets is a chore
- Can you even consider 6th gear overdrive?!?

I usually skip through gears when driving; I either do 1-3-5-6 or 2-4-5-6 depending on the slope of the road I start on. I only drive the car on the weekend, but the shifting does take away from the experience. The previous owner included the stock gears with the car and I'm ready to put them back in.

So with all that said, does anyone know of a reputable shop and price for a gear swap in/near Atlanta? :)

Really? 120 top speed? You're not talking about 6th gear are you?

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
i have 3.27s in mine and man they suck with my setup, i ran it in the 1/4 and i couldnt get off the line launching at like 5k and i was shifting into 4th just before the traps which was killing me. however my buddy has a kb 2.8h at 23 psi and he just put 3.90s in it and that thing is rocking the f out

z28misfit

Established Member
I paid $515 for mine total, FRPP 3.73's, from a reputable shop (and in NY no less). Your price might be a little high but like you said few extra beans might be worth the peace of mind for quality install.

I sure as hell wouldn't feel confident with someone that does it dirt cheap

+1 the cheapest shops always try to look like and try to be the publics heros,,but usually they are the ones putting out non-quality work,,and hey if you are good at something why not charge for it?? Quality workmanship is worth money..if Joe Dirt the back yard mechanic wants to do a job for peanuts then so be it,,Joe Dirt also probably has no overhead either with thousands of dollars in snap-on tools and shop insurance. Just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread