I Hate Doing SS Brake Lines!!!

DjOrionXTR

Established Member
So I decided to go ahead and order some Russell lines and change brake fluid. I was already skeptical about doing this job. I decided to jump right on in. Decided to right rear first. removed stock line and couldnt get the ss line on. Finally after a while the thread caught and screwed on. I completed that side. I moved to the left side. I removed the stock line and tried screwing on the ss line. Same thing, the thread dont want to catch. I decided to try and put back the stock line just to see if it goes on, and sure enough, it goes on easy. I try the ss line. Cant get it on. Let a friend try, he cant get it on, I try again, cant get it on. I gave up. And my stupid self didnt think about putting the stock line back on so all the fluid wouldnt drain out over night. And I dont have access to my car right now.. Aghh...I just hope I never have to do ss lines ever again..

jblood37

Established Member
So I decided to go ahead and order some Russell lines and change brake fluid. I was already skeptical about doing this job. I decided to jump right on in. Decided to right rear first. removed stock line and couldnt get the ss line on. Finally after a while the thread caught and screwed on. I completed that side. I moved to the left side. I removed the stock line and tried screwing on the ss line. Same thing, the thread dont want to catch. I decided to try and put back the stock line just to see if it goes on, and sure enough, it goes on easy. I try the ss line. Cant get it on. Let a friend try, he cant get it on, I try again, cant get it on. I gave up. And my stupid self didnt think about putting the stock line back on so all the fluid wouldnt drain out over night. And I dont have access to my car right now.. Aghh...I just hope I never have to do ss lines ever again..

Lmfao. I just changed over to Russel SS lines, Hawk Pads, and ATE Super Blue fluid. Same thing happened to me. Two lines started threading easily, two felt like they were stripping at first. A little scary. Took me way longer than I thought it would and still haven't got the car off jackstands yet. Hopefully it was all worth it. BTW, beer ALWAYS helps me in these situations! :beer:.

Also, bleed your master cylinder since all your fluid will drip out overnight. (Easy).

SVT_Troy

Established Member
the instructions should have clearly stated which side was which. I have russell lines as well. No issues threaded them on.....

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I did the MM steel line kit and the instructions could not have been clearer for the 4 lines....I believe each line was even labeled:

RF
LF
RR
LR

SynMan5.0

Established Member
My Russell lines were clearly marked where they go. :shrug: I had no problems.

DjOrionXTR

Established Member
they are all marked for which side goes where. thats not there problem. the damn thing just doesnt want to screw on. Its on now. Its either on how its suppose to, or its cross threaded. I guess ill find out when i pump some fluid through tomorrow

0-MYSTACHROME-4

Established Member
MM lines all around here too.All there products are pretty much top notch. There lines swivel were it bolts to the hard line and at where it attaches to the calipers. Alwayes liked these lines even if there a few $$$ more. You get what you pay for!

jblood37

Established Member
I can't believe we are the only two on this site that had problems with them not threading correctly. Yes, they are plainly labeled. I know in my case at least, this was not the problem as I can read effectively. The problem was the fittings. I put the left (driver's side) front line on very easily with no resistance. Go to put right (passenger side) front line on and will not even get started correctly. Mine are on now with no leaks. OP, when did you buy your lines?

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
they are all marked for which side goes where. thats not there problem. the damn thing just doesnt want to screw on. Its on now. Its either on how its suppose to, or its cross threaded. I guess ill find out when i pump some fluid through tomorrow

Sometimes what happens is the flare on the end of the line tends to mushroom out the threaded fitting and it's actually too big to go into the new line.

Take it apart and file a slight taper on the start of the threads of the chassis fitting that is flared onto the line. Once you do that the fitting will go right into the new line no problem.

Hope that helps,

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

jervis

very misunderstood
Established Member
How much shorter are the Russell Brake lines in the rear than the stock line and banjo bolt? Wondering if they would give some extra clearance for 15"wheels or if I should go with the MM instead.

Users who are viewing this thread