I had a drama filled lunch last night....

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
So, I went home for lunch about 21:30 and about 10 minutes after arriving, I was standing at the edge of my yard with my wife, when all hell broke loose. We live on a corner lot at a 3 way intersection. The stop sign is in our yard.

As we are standing there enjoying the calm before the coming thunderstorm, a silver Honda Pilot comes driving up the road toward the intersection going a bit too fast for our street, drifts to the opposite lane, almost striking the light pole on the other corner across from us, and accelerates as it runs the stop sign.

As it comes abreast of us, we see a man driving, sort of slumped down, and a toddler strapped in the seat behind him.

The vehicle ran the stop sign, and the speed was approximately 30 mph as it entered the intersection, and probably 35 - 40 as it crossed the road, striking the drivers side quarter panel, just in front of the bumper, of a late 80's Prelude. The Prelude was spun halfway around, the rear in the front yard of the house across the intersection, the SUV's motor revved to red-line, accelerating to about 40 as it spun the tires over the curb, through the front yard, through the front wall, through the living room, and into the kitchen.

It stopped halfway through the kitchen wall, but the tires were still spinning, the engine racing, and the smoke filling the house.

I immediately called 911, as one neighbor ran out of his house, saw me point to the hole in the wall, and ran into the house to see if the occupants of the Pilot were OK. Another neighbor ran in right behind him, and checked the house to see if people who lived there were OK.

The motor was turned off, the driver helped out of the vehicle, the 2 year old boy extracted from the back seat, and then the hiss of escaping gas was heard from the kitchen. The first one in the house ran back to his house, got a tool, and turned the gas off outside at the meter.

The other guy brought the man, and toddler out to the corner across from my house, and I was still trying to give the info to the idiot 911 operator, while directing my wife to get our kids into the truck, and sent them up the block, away from the potential danger area.

We searched the house, but did not find any sign of the occupants, so we were hoping they were not home, and weren't buried under the SUV, couch, and wall.

At that point, we all fell back to the corner across from the scene to keep a somewhat safe distance from a potential explosion, or fire since the smoke was getting thicker.

The police arrived about 15 minutes after I got off the phone with 911, and the fire department about 10 minutes after that.

Before they got there, I tried to keep the driver talking since he was obviously disoriented, and possibly injured. The toddler seemed OK, but scared. The driver had the characteristics of being under the influence, was clearly in shock, and did not seem to remember where he was. My wife finally convinced him to let her hold the child, and I got him to sit down, and not move until we could ascertain his condition.

Right after the first patrol car arrived, I went across to tel him what we knew about the home owners, and when I got back, my wife pointed to a baggy on the ground she said the driver dropped after dumping the contents. I let the officer know about that, and he told his supervisor, who had just pulled up. The supervisor walked over to it with me, picked it up, smelled it, and dropped it saying it was nothing. I told him it was evidence, and that he should look for the contents, but he dismissed my suggestion with a off hand remark about leaving it to the pro's.

By then, there were about 8 police cars, and at least 5 firetrucks on the scene.

The first officer on the scene asked for statements from my wife, and I, since we were the only people to see the whole event. I mentioned the baggy to him, and my suspicion, and he asked me why I felt it was evidence. When he found out I used to be on the job years ago, he took it seriously, went to the area the bag was found, walked around, and found several pills in the grass. Hmmm, evidence maybe?

They ended up taking the guy into custody, and fortunately, they were able to contact the drivers mother, who came to get the child. If not, my wife was going to take custody (she works for Texas CPS) until a relative could be contacted.

When the vehicle drove past me, I got the plate number, and noticed the plates were purple heart plates. It turns out the driver had just gotten back from a tour in Iraq, after being shot in battle. He was on pain medication, among others, and had, apparently, been drinking, as well. So, he was under the influence, for sure, and almost killed himself, his 2 year old brother, and could have killed the folks living in the house, had they been home at the time.

The owners got home about an hour later, and were in shock, and angry as hell. The whole neighborhood turned out, and the event was a catalyst for everyone to introduce themselves to each other. That was one of the positives to come out of the event.

A sense of community was born, and several people pledged to help the owners of the destroyed home, and to also start doing neighborhood community events to get to know each other, and watch out for each other. It was pretty cool to see, and experience.

My wife is going to price some boulders tomorrow to add to our landscaping..... ones big enough to stop a truck from hitting the house, in the event another speeding vehicle comes from the other direction, toward our house.

Well, that is about it for my drama filled lunch hour, but it ended up being about a 3 hour lunch....

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Kinda reminds me of my buddy, his house is on a corner, the front is on a busy street. One night around 3am they hear a loud bang, go outside, and a teenage girl rearended their fully restored 66 Mustang, and was passed out in the driver's seat. That was her 2nd or 3rd DUI :bash:

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
Crazy! That just has to be nuts to see the entire thing happen right in front of you.

Glad to hear everyone is alright, but dang that sucks for the home owners.

Good to hear people around the neighborhood are getting together, at quite a cost, but at least there's something.

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
Because I work from 18:45 to 07:30. I take my lunch between 21:00 and 23:00, most nights.

Damn that sucks.

You by chance get to talk to any of the firefighters on scene? Just wondering cause I know a few that are with Tomball FD.

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
That is one hell of a lunch break.

btw palm trees are also good at stoping cars.

Or small children...

My old best friends neighbor had someone come plowing up thru their yard one time only to be stopped by his brand new riding lawn mower. How it stopped a moving vehicle I dont know, but I could have sworn I saw him crying.

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
wow thats like a vivid scenario to a movie. Thanks for sharing that lunch break with us. Let us know if you find out any aftermath.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
sounds like my neighborhood when I was living in Hawaii.. dude in a stolen Neon running from the cops, missed a turn about 1 am, went through the front porch, through the wall taking out a couch in the living room. The only person home at the time was a housewife that had about 5 minutes before got up and went upstairs to bed.. her husband was on an exercise on a submarine stationed out of Pearl Harbor..

(this was military housing, and had just been completed a few months prior)

dougwg

Established Member
You suck at telling stories..... never even mentioned what you ate for lunch! :bash: :poke: :dw:

j/k :) Glad everyone was ok. :)

ssssnake

Established Member
Corner lot? Yeah, always something exciting happens. I used to live on a corner lot right in an S curve on Ocean Drive. A pickup truck and trailer hit the fire hydrant - thank God he didn't crash into our house. Another driver crashed into one of the neighbors brick wall. I'm glad no one was hurt in all this. Tomball, huh? My bitch sister-in-law and her husband live there.

That is one hell of a lunch break.

btw palm trees are also good at stoping cars.

Tis true. They took some trees out along our freeways because people were hitting them. Better they hit the trees than fly through someone's house.

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
wow thats like a vivid scenario to a movie. Thanks for sharing that lunch break with us. Let us know if you find out any aftermath.

When I came home this morning, there was a restoration crew working on removing the brick that was in danger of collapsing, and securing the hole. My wife said they had been there since about 03:00, and keeping everyone awake with the drilling, sawing, etc.

That was a quick response, I guess their insurance company called them in.

Users who are viewing this thread