I got this old radar detector, whats difference between city/highway?

cobra18

Established Member
I got this old radar detector thats probably like 10 years old. It doesn't have many features but it has a city and highway mode. Whats the difference?

mx_9

Established Member
I believe that the City mode will only pick up strong signals at a relatively close distance whereas Highway mode has extended range with extended sensitivity.

slopoke93

Hook'em Horns!!!
Established Member
the city mode allows the radar to receive more modes. Actually, it is telling the computer on the inside to search and identify all modes it was built for. when i am in the city, mines goes off for all kinds of stuff, trains, rigs, all sorts of cop radar. on highway, mainly K and Ka bands. if you ever get close to certain stores like wal-mart, target, etc. it will go off in the K mode. I think it is from the stores alarm system. only goes off when it is facing the front doors.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
The City mode has more "filtration" of stray electronic signals.

The reason your unit is going off near stores is usually from the automatic doors that open when you approach them. These signals are similar to radar and the unit can't tell the difference. Also, motion detectors (again, similar to the automatic doors) for alarm systems will also trigger the unit and give you a false alarm.

The more money you spend on a unit the better the filtration and the less false alarms you will encounter!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

JerseyGT

Jerseys Finest Ttop
Established Member
I got this one called the whistler 4500 or something, that thing doesn't pick up any thing, lights up and you can test it but nothing sets it off. My cobra is far better, voice alert.

Users who are viewing this thread