i got a rattle or a ping

alneds5

Established Member
i took it to the track last night to see what it would run with my new mods and it was making noise all the way down the track. but it really doesnt sound like pinging, more like a rattle. and it only does it at wot. today i took it to a ford shop and they didnt want to look at it after they noticed it still had a warranty, they told me to take off everything and take it to ford. so on the way home i got some octane booster and gas and it still makin the noise. what should i try next?

my mods are
4lb.
predator- custum tuned on dyno
intake
ftvb

and the truck has 26,000

SVTFREEK

- GOT BOOST? -
Established Member
alneds5 said:
i took it to the track last night to see what it would run with my new mods and it was making noise all the way down the track. but it really doesnt sound like pinging, more like a rattle. and it only does it at wot. today i took it to a ford shop and they didnt want to look at it after they noticed it still had a warranty, they told me to take off everything and take it to ford. so on the way home i got some octane booster and gas and it still makin the noise. what should i try next?

my mods are
4lb.
predator- custum tuned on dyno
intake
ftvb

and the truck has 26,000

Wheres the noise coming from, blower, plugs, pulley, ect.

alneds5

Established Member
it doesnt make the noise when i rev it. only driving it at high rpms and full throttle, so im in the drives seat and its kinda hard to tell from there were its coming from, my guess is something on the drivers side of the motor.

OH-MAN

Established Member
alneds5 said:
it doesnt make the noise when i rev it. only driving it at high rpms and full throttle, so im in the drives seat and its kinda hard to tell from there were its coming from, my guess is something on the drivers side of the motor.

That is detonation the next noise you may hear is a block being punched through by the rod.
Please get it rechecked this could be very bad. Do not run WFO till you do .
Octane boost will only add 0.1 point to your octane. One bottle will raie your 91 octane to 91.1 basiclly useless. Race gas is the only real way to raise it without using toulene I think thats it.
Be carefull till you solve this problem.

alneds5

Established Member
it was the 3rd spark plug back on the passenger side making the nosise, the dealer said it loosen by itself. so they retorked it to specs. i guess all wait tell it blows out of the head so i can get the 03 heads.

boostdacr

Removed by Admin.
Established Member
alneds5 said:
it was the 3rd spark plug back on the passenger side making the nosise, the dealer said it loosen by itself. so they retorked it to specs. i guess all wait tell it blows out of the head so i can get the 03 heads.
doesnt the 01+ have more threads for the plugs? i didnt think that would happen?? unless it comes completely out.

OH-MAN

Established Member
00sVt Lightning said:
doesnt the 01+ have more threads for the plugs? i didnt think that would happen?? unless it comes completely out.

03s and 04s have the new plug threads .

As for waiting for the plug to blow, I personally would tighten it. The dealer may decide not to buy you a new set of heads when they can get out of it by noticing your mods.
Good luck with your truck.

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
I had a similar problem, but it wasn't the tune....it was the torque convertor getting ready to crap out. I ended up trading in after it started to develop a light howl at idle. I maintained the tranny with 10k mile flushes....unfortunately a few weeks later the tq convertor went out in the truck.

alneds5

Established Member
i did take it to the dealer, thats how i know its the 3rd back. but they just put new a new plug back in. i took my mods off before i took it in.

Users who are viewing this thread