I got a question

InsaneMetalHead

Yawn...
Established Member
I'm starting to learn how to drive a manual transmission and I've pretty much gotten the hang of it, I'm just practicing my hills and stops. I was taught when you are on a hill or a stop you can move the clutch half way out and hit the gas and switch slowly, but there is always the smell of the clutch burning. Is there a better way to go from stop and on a hill. I need tips.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
Practice, practice, practice. You can do something similar to the steps you take to do a burn out. Left foot on clutch, right foot arch/heel on brake. Pivot your right foot toe over to the gas and raise your RPMs a tiny bit. Slowly let off the clutch and slowly apply more gas at the same time you let off the brake. Be careful to keep your RPMs really low or you'll spin your wheels. Find a small hill with a slight grade to practice on. Neighborhoods are good to practice in so you don't have to deal with traffic and stares from stupefied pedestrians.

Brad Azz

Go Browns!!!
Established Member
Definitely lots of practice... Try going on a hill and just practicing letting in roll back and forth till you get the hang of it... The 1st day I drove manual I was on a hill on the end of my street and the light was red, when it changed to green, I stalled and rolled to the bottom of the hill... By the time I got back to the top, it was red again and this time there were like 4 cars behind me... I just floored it and peeled the tires and ripped the clutch up... but I figured it out shortly

stevieb

Established Member
set the parking brake. When ready to go, let the clutch out while releasing the brake as the clutch catches. Its very easy with a hand brake versus a foot operated one.
Clutch smell=bad!

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
You'll be able to do a quick brake to gas transfer once you become adept at it, but don't push it. The hand brake version will work, but only if you're e-brake is reliable. For instance, the e-brake on Z06 vettes are notoriously sh*tty. Just go and practice. Find what works well for you until your footwork becomes good enough to do it properly.

theDRIVER

Literally haulin' ass
Established Member
InsaneMetalHead said:
My uncle taught me to let the clutch out a bit and switch from brake to gas really quick and slowly let off the clutch. Is that the right thing to do?

everyone has their own method on this or has been taught differently. like everyone has said...practice. not every clutch is the same so some peoples answers to your questions are probably not going to work like intended. the best thing to do is just feel how your clutch feels. learn how to let your foot roll off the pedal all awhile adding a bit of gas. the reason your probably smelling the clutch is probably your clutch pedal is not being let enough out while your adding gas. just practice and you'll eventually be driving it like a champ...

pwnt04

Frickin' Ladies Man
Established Member
If you don't want to mess with the brake pedal, you can pull up the parking brake and slowly let that out as you're letting the clutch out.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
I taught myself to drive a manual. My brother was just in the car supervising and gave me couple of hints. My dad gave me a good piece of advice that really helped me and I dont know why. "Watch your rpms" I always watched my RPM vs my friction point and that always helped me.

InsaneMetalHead

Yawn...
Established Member
Thanks for all the responses. I honestly love manuals over automatics but I don't really know what's good and what's bad when it comes to manual transmissions, clutch and etc. my uncle always told me to listen to the motor and watch RPMs. I've been practicing in the boonies on gravel roads. Tons of hills barely any traffic.

Last edited:

stevieb

Established Member
as the goal is to get used to the clutch feel, using the parking brake until one gets the feel is the only way to practice without burning up the clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread